Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-13, 02:55

Plan: continue LC
Stats: 150/150/150 Male 173cm
BF:
Progress:
Wink Thanks Ms Arielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
SOme of the LC diet methods allow all the days allotment of carbs in one sitting; and even one permits a sweet after one meal in a day. This has inherent problems. (Having tried the latter I was back to binging within 24 hours. Conseqently I abandoned THAT diet.) Atkins and PP are clear about spreading the carbs over the 3 meals. ATkins also is clear about a slow 5 carb increase per day for a week before adding 5 more grams. I think he knew of this problem but just never explained it. Now I know.

THank you for this info, I have been asking for the last few weeks and no one had a definitive answer. Now I do!

I absolutely agree with you.
Doing cheating(eating high carb food) during VLC diet is
very very dangerous thing even non-diabetic people
because VLC diet makes almost everybody (temporary) insulin resistant.
Thanks a lot! And I'm glad that you liked my post.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-13, 02:59

BF:
Progress:
Smile Thanks Aradasky !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
All Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I am at LC and VLC and my glucose levels are wonderful!

I wanted to find out why I became so sensitive to carbs
during LC diet.

I was glad that I found the answer.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-13, 03:04

BF:
Progress:
Default 140g of steamed brown rice = [40g of carbs]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola18
Hello...do you mean jica 2000 that after low carb you ate 420g Carbs per day (3x140g)??? Or do you mean that during the day you had 140g carbs???

70g of steamed brown rice has [20g of carbs].
So, 140g of steamed brown rice has [40g of carbs].

So, I ate 40grams of carbs every meal.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-13, 00:18

Plan: Paleolit
Stats: 121/110/110 Female 166
BF:
Progress:

Thanx Elfie...Well I started right away with 160g Ch but reduced to 130g CH (103g rice) because I couldn't handle it....now Im at day 10 and still pretty hard....my mouth is soo dry each time I eat, always thirsty, very tired, huge headache...I wish I had never done paleo....
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-13, 05:29

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Jica2000! Im glad you are back. So do you want to say that steamed brown rice and raw brown rice have different quantity of carbs??? Never knew it! So basically if I measure 30g of carbs from brown rice for one meal in its raw form then after steaming it becomes much less of CH??? Woow. Generally how long does it take to get back to normal after introducing carbs? I'm in day 10 but still sugar stays high and not feeling very well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jica2000
70g of steamed brown rice has [20g of carbs].
So, 140g of steamed brown rice has [40g of carbs].

So, I ate 40grams of carbs every meal.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-13, 07:25
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Thanks Jica2000! Im glad you are back. So do you want to say that steamed brown rice and raw brown rice have different quantity of carbs??? Never knew it! So basically if I measure 30g of carbs from brown rice for one meal in its raw form then after steaming it becomes much less of CH??? Woow. Generally how long does it take to get back to normal after introducing carbs? I'm in day 10 but still sugar stays high and not feeling very well...

I can actually answer this one as I worked with these numbers last week:
COOKED rice, 1/2 cup serving has about 40 grams of carbs.

1/2 cup dry rice, cooks to about 1 to 1-1/4 cups rice which is far more carbs.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-13, 12:17

BF:
Progress:

Thanks a lot!

I would have another question. Why is it dangerous to go from VLC to high carb? I mean is it considered to be dangerous if I eat 130-160g Carbs only of brown rice plus vegetables? (before I had not more than 30g carbs per day for a year). Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoman
I can actually answer this one as I worked with these numbers last week:
COOKED rice, 1/2 cup serving has about 40 grams of carbs.

1/2 cup dry rice, cooks to about 1 to 1-1/4 cups rice which is far more carbs.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-13, 13:24

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Very interesting as I have found after many years of LC that if I DO eat significantly more carbs one meal or one day, my glucose levels go way way up - to levels where tissue damage may occur. I appreciate your thoroughness in documenting how your pancreas quickly ramps up to meet the challenge of more carbs. This is useful information for quite a few people here.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-13, 04:47

BF:
Progress:
Default Steamed rice absorbs much water.

Dear lola18,
Steamed rice in Korea means.. rice cooked in boiling water.
So, rice gets a lot bigger as it absorbs much water.
So, 100grams of steamed rice has less than half carbohydrate
of 100grams raw rice.

Quote:
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-13, 04:50

BF:
Progress:
Default Yes, very gradual increase of carbs is very important

Thanks Liz53,

I found the fact that when we increase the intake of carbs during LC diet,
it is very very important that we should increase carbs very gradually
in order not to destroy our blood vessels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Very interesting as I have found after many years of LC that if I DO eat significantly more carbs one meal or one day, my glucose levels go way way up - to levels where tissue damage may occur. I appreciate your thoroughness in documenting how your pancreas quickly ramps up to meet the challenge of more carbs. This is useful information for quite a few people here.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-13, 14:22

BF:
Progress:
Default 160 g carbs

Dear Jica 2000!

Thanx for your reply!
I have made some mistake though. From very low carb (40g daily) I went up to 160g carbs only of rice for 1 week. Since then my mouth is overly dry, and my throat as well, also Im extremely thirsty.
My sugar unfortunately stays high even after 2 hours after 2 weeks of introducing high carbs. Now I went down to 120g of carbs daily but my symptoms stayed the same and my sugar is not dropping.
Does it mean I have become diabtetic??(
I never had a problem with sugar before, but after doing paleo for 1 year my sugar is not dropping even after 2 weeks. Im really scared. Any idea why it can be???
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-13, 22:28
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 244/184/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:Too much.
Progress: 64%

This is very interesting!

I'm hoping to get into the doctor within the next couple of weeks to be tested. My meter says I'm diabetic, but sweetie wants me to make it official (he want me to get some pill - I vehemently told him NO!). But, since I am on some other meds, I figure I should probably get in there just in case we need to make adjustments.

I'm glad I read this thread and found out that I need to increase my carbs for a few days before being tested. But the thought scares me!
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-16, 16:04
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 173.6/157/145 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

This is old, but does anyone know what happened with the person quoted below?

Quote:
Dear Jica 2000!

Thanx for your reply!
I have made some mistake though. From very low carb (40g daily) I went up to 160g carbs only of rice for 1 week. Since then my mouth is overly dry, and my throat as well, also Im extremely thirsty.
My sugar unfortunately stays high even after 2 hours after 2 weeks of introducing high carbs. Now I went down to 120g of carbs daily but my symptoms stayed the same and my sugar is not dropping.
Does it mean I have become diabtetic??(
I never had a problem with sugar before, but after doing paleo for 1 year my sugar is not dropping even after 2 weeks. Im really scared. Any idea why it can be???