Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a Get-Together?
Yes and I can make it both weekends this time 3 42.86%
Yes but I can't make it this time 3 42.86%
Yes but I'd prefer a different location 1 14.29%
No 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

#61   ^
Old Fri, Sep-21-01, 15:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 263/199/174
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Hi All

Just thought i'd post as i've just read the thread and it seems like you've all had a load of fun.

Am I the only LCer in the frozen north?(actually I'm Welsh but since my daughter was born N of the Tyne I'm sort of related toa Geordie)

It'd certainly be possible to get to London for a repeat as my in-laws live in St John's Wood and we could use it as an excuse for the little monster to terrorize her grandparents.

I having such a good time with low-carbing. My wife is going to weight-watchers and eating lots of beansprouts and "no-point soup" (don't even ask) while I'm eating bacon and eggs, steak, salmon etc etc. The amazing thing is that i've been on diets for about the last 20 years and they've always been awful while now i'm really not very hungry and yet i've not got the horrible "giddy" feeling.

The last straw was giving up smoking 10 months ago - since May i've only been able to wear a few track suits and some shorts with elasticated waists. Anyway last night went out with some friends wearing a pair of jeans!! I have a whole wardrobe of decreasing sizes waiting for me.

Anyway i think i just want to say that this forum is actually great and i'm sure this has a lot to do with my success.

Best Wishes

Jon
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Sep-21-01, 15:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default hi Jon Rees

Congratulations on your loss. Certainly the w2g.

Totally agree with you jon about this Forum helping to keep me on track and constantly inspiring, motivating and supporting me. It is wonderful. I can't thank all the people here enough for their support.

We might have to change the time to suit those with young children but try and come to the first one anyway.

Take care.
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Sep-21-01, 17:35

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Jon,

Spotted a couple of points of interest in your post (above). Firstly, what part of Wales do you come from? My father came from the Rhondda Valley in the South (Treorchy). Thought "Rees" was a Welsh name! So perhaps it ought to Hello Boyo instead of Way aye man (with apologies for any spelling errors).

Secondly, interesting about not getting headaches and dizziness. Neither do I. But reading around the various forums here, women often do. Is it simply to do with sex?

Thirdly, I see your start weight is close to my current weight. I'll be following behind, trying to catch you up as fast as I can. It is my intention to reach target weight by Christmas (Approx 40 lbs still to go). So if you slow down or go into a stall, I will be trying to catch you up!

As for other people from "Up North" on this forum, I do see the odd one from time to time posting a message or two, then disappearing without trace. But we are getting a good bunch here now, who seem to be more committed. Gives a better feeling of "family" and mutual support, and far better encouragement to achieve short-term objectives and long term aims. Don't you agree, Fiona?

Best wishes, and Welcome. Nice to have you aboard.

Andy.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-01, 13:52
Registered Member

BF:
Default Bore da bach!

Hi Andy,

as i mentioned when chatting i'm from Clydach Vale nr Tonypandy about 5 miles from Treorchy in the Rhondda. Mum and sister live there so down a fair bit. Been in Newcastle 6 years now but haven't lost the accent.

Like the idea of chasing down the pounds. I'm planning to do the body for life challenge (www.bodyforlife.com) from monday with lowcarb modifications and will finish the week b4 christmas so we'll see.

Cheers

Jon
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-01, 17:28

BF:

Hi Jon,

I'd love to learn Welsh. One of these days when I get a bit of time...(I always remember Rowan Atkins , in one of his sketches, saying that you couldn't even say your name in Welsh without a pint of phlegm in your throat!)

i'm amazed that you should come from so close as five miles from my father's home town - I've often heard him talk about Tonypandy (didn't Fireman Sam also come from there?). Have not been back there myself since I was a babe in arms, but I did once take part in the "Night of a thousand voices" in the Royal Albert Hall. That was an amazing experience.

I looked up that link you quoted. Bit unimpressed so far, everything was too vague and indirect. Perhaps I missed something, but the crux of his "system" did not make itself clear in several screens (another minus point) and I felt generally uneasy about it.

Good luck with your own weight-loss programme. You will make it - lots of resolution and commitment. I fear you are too far ahead for me to catch up, unless you hit problems, but your target end-date seems close to mine. So who knows.

Now, this is going back to my childhood, and I'm not sure of the spelling. But it is night-time now, so I believe the correct word is "Nostard". (Apologies if it's wrong).

Best wishes,

Andy.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 06:18

Plan: Carbwiser
Stats: 290.8/247/203 Male 6ft
BF:Plenty
Progress: 50%
Default Fireman Sam

Andy..

I thought Fireman Sam came from Pontypandy.

Ken
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 10:45
Registered Member

BF:
Default I am not Fireman Sam (honest)

I think it was Pontypandy in fact. I don't actually speak more than a few bits of Welsh. What you're saying Andy is "Nos da" which is "Good night".

I think body for life is better in the book than the net. He's not going to give away his "secrets" for free is he? I've started a thread in the exercise/ckd forum as nobody else seems to have tried it although trainerdan and fern are sort of interested - its at http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=20733
Be warned - there are some pics that are definitely "18" only!!

See you soon,

Jon
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-01, 18:41

BF:

Have just lost my reply to this post, and do not have time to re-type it all. Thanks for putting me right on the spelling of Nos da. What does Iachyda" mean (spelling here could be suspect too).

Pontypandy would clearly have been taken from Tonypandy - rather clever, I think.

Must rush.

Bye for now
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-01, 03:50
Registered Member

BF:
Default Welsh lessons

"Iechi da!" means something like "Good health" but its a bit untranslateable. There are another couple like this - "hiraeth" which means "homesickness" but only for Wales and "hwyl" which is a great word and sort of means "oomph" or "positive energy" etc. Welsh is a lovely poetic language but after 3 yrs enforced lessons in schoold i realised it was quite hard and did French instead.

Cheers

Jon
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-01, 05:47

BF:

Thanks!! LOL!
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-01, 10:03

Plan: Barry Groves - Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/173/142
BF:
Progress:
Default Hi all

Hi all,

Been wizzing thru last page of thread and I must say, you dissapoint me Jon, I thought it was Yakky da?! I stayed in Snowdon for a week when I was a little girl and that was all the Welsh I learnt.

Speaking of Snowdon, I'm going there the weekend of 13/14 October, Mick's son does all these outdoor things and has asked us to go up for cheering and encouragement so naturally we said yes. Forgot to mention Micks son Before - Simon 22 - he was in Chile with PW at the beginning of the year.

He likes lots of outdoor things and this is the first time he's asked us along so Micks really excited, Noo isn't, she thinks it going to be too much for a girl of her delicate nature - (She'd much rather be in her bedroom trying new ways to put make-up on or new hair designs, she's a typical girl I'm afraid but I'll get her up that mountain if it kills me!!).

It's nice reading threads when I get a chance and yes there really are a nice bunch of people on here.

I want to know something but am worried it will make me look stupid but, here goes...

What does LOL mean (I think it means lots of Love but it can't be, can it?!)

Speak soon,

Bez

#72   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-01, 11:41

Plan: Carbwiser
Stats: 290.8/247/203 Male 6ft
BF:Plenty
Progress: 50%
Default LOL

Hi Bez

LOL= Laughing out loud

Ken
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-01, 11:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile LOL

Hi Bez

I remember being confused about LOL too. The only translation I could think of at the time was Lots of Love ! Sometimes we do have to risk looking and feeling stupid to clear up the question mark in our own mind.

There is a whole list of such short-hand phrases. I'll let you have the link for it when I find it ... unless someone else gets in before me.

Take care.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-01, 12:04

BF:

Doreen pointed me to this once before - I think it was at the top of the page. If it was not under FAQ (frequently asked questions) it must be under "quick hints" at the side of the page.

And Fiona, why aren't you posting in your journal? I need to keep an eye on you (for your own good, of course!)

Andy
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-01, 18:49

BF:

Bez,

I have just been going back through the old posts to find Doreen's cited reference for abbreviations. She posted at the time that it was under "Low Carb Lingo", in the "Tips" section in the red help bar at the top of the page. This is now orange, and although "Tips" is still there, I can not now find "Low Carb Lingo". The original reference, if you are interested, was Fiona's journal (A winner, living life, or some such name) on about page 2 or 3.

Still not a conclusive answer, I'm afraid. Maybe someone else knows what happened to it?