Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-12, 21:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/225.2/150 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default need some input, please

Hi everyone.

I need a little direction here. Here's my background: First, I don't have PCOS, but thought some of you might be able to suggest something for me. My doctor suspected it but my tests didn't show it. I was diagnosed last fall with a progesterone deficiency, mild endometrial hyperplasia, and uterine polyps, resulting from unexplained anovulation. Since then, I've been on 100 mg of Prometrium on cycle days 12-26.

I originally went to the doctor in 2010 when I absolutely could not lose weight, no matter what and was slowly gaining. Then my periods suddenly stopped and I gained 15 pounds in a month. That time he was able to identify this ambiguous "progesterone deficiency". After a year and a half and 42 pounds, I'm finally starting to slowly take it off again.

My question is, should I see an endocrinologist in addition to my gynecologist? I am feeling much better when I am taking the Prometrium and start feeling awful by day 8 or 9. So something's still not right. Is there anything else someone who has this sort of problem could suggest?

Also, my doctor told me to "lose weight" and while I needed to lose weight, I've gained from this problem.

Thank you.

Last edited by AnnaT : Tue, Jul-03-12 at 07:25.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 06:49
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Hi Anna, what tests did the doctor do to test for PCOS?

Lee
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 06:58

Stats: 183.4/166/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 52%

I am interested to know about the tests as well. I am having problems of my own. I have been TTC for over a year without success. These past three months I have been working out five days a week with a personal trainer and eating low carb without any real results. I am barely maintaining my weight and not losing any inches. This is extremely frustrating because I am stuck at a weight I was able to maintain at without any exercise or diet. I can relate to your problem, although my periods are fairly regular so that is different. I wish I had something to suggest, but I am still debating whether I should make an appointment or not.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 08:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
Hi Anna, what tests did the doctor do to test for PCOS?

Lee

After my period came back (after a d&c and the Prometrium), he did a hormone panel on day 3, day 21, and ultrasounds. Everything was fine (estrogen, testosterone, etc., and the appearance of my ovaries) except my progesterone kept coming back at <0.01.

He also did a thyroid panel and those results were fine, too. I was convinced it was my thyroid because of my symptoms but apparently a progesterone deficiency can have similar symptoms.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 08:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAT84
I am interested to know about the tests as well. I am having problems of my own. I have been TTC for over a year without success. These past three months I have been working out five days a week with a personal trainer and eating low carb without any real results. I am barely maintaining my weight and not losing any inches. This is extremely frustrating because I am stuck at a weight I was able to maintain at without any exercise or diet. I can relate to your problem, although my periods are fairly regular so that is different. I wish I had something to suggest, but I am still debating whether I should make an appointment or not.

I would ask for a progesterone test. As I wrote to leemack, I thought it was my thyroid. I was really surprised when I was told I was not ovulating any more.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 09:12

BF:

Thanks! Didn't mean to hijack your thread! I have had my thyroid checked so maybe that is my problem. Would low progesterone mean I'm not ovulating because my opks appear to be positive.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 09:29

BF:

Quote:
Thanks! Didn't mean to hijack your thread! I have had my thyroid checked so maybe that is my problem. Would low progesterone mean I'm not ovulating because my opks appear to be positive.

Hi BAT,

You didn't hijack anything! I sort of hijacked the entire PCOS forum, since I don't even have it.

I don't know if that could be it for you or not. I do know that the OPKs aren't 100% reliable. They take a lot of interpretation. At least, that's my experience. Certainly one can ovulate and even get pregnant with low progesterone. Some women have to supplement with progesterone once they do get pregnant, in order to keep from having a miscarriage (a result of low progesterone).

I have to say, I was quite sick. It wasn't only the weight gain.

In my case, my doctor thinks I was probably already deficient for a while, maybe years, then stopped ovulating, and then the deficiency got really worse. That's about all he can tell me. That's why I was wondering if a visit to a regular or reproductive endocrinologist would help.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 09:52

BF:

I have had several miscarriages as well so it is confusing. I am starting on clomid this coming month hoping that helps, but I'm still irritated with this excess weight I can't seem to lose with all my efforts.

My obgyn seems to only be able to help so much so maybe you would have better luck seeking care from an endocrinologist as well?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 10:43

BF:

Quote:
I have had several miscarriages as well so it is confusing. I am starting on clomid this coming month hoping that helps, but I'm still irritated with this excess weight I can't seem to lose with all my efforts.

My obgyn seems to only be able to help so much so maybe you would have better luck seeking care from an endocrinologist as well?

BAT, I can't write much now, but if you have had repeat unexplained miscarriages I would definitely ask your doctor about progesterone deficiency.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 11:01
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaT
After my period came back (after a d&c and the Prometrium), he did a hormone panel on day 3, day 21, and ultrasounds. Everything was fine (estrogen, testosterone, etc., and the appearance of my ovaries) except my progesterone kept coming back at <0.01.

He also did a thyroid panel and those results were fine, too. I was convinced it was my thyroid because of my symptoms but apparently a progesterone deficiency can have similar symptoms.

Do you have any other hypothyroid syptoms? Do you know what thyroid tests were done and what the results are? The standard TSH test is not reliable, you really need to get free T4 and T3 done.

Also have you had a glucose tolerance test with insulin levels measured. PCOS starts with insulin problems which mean your insulin would be too high, the high insulin levels then affect the ovaries which produce too much androgenic hormones. Even without PCOS, insulin resistance and high insulin levels can cause weight gain and prevent weight loss.

Lee
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-12, 10:20

BF:

Quote:
Do you have any other hypothyroid syptoms? Do you know what thyroid tests were done and what the results are? The standard TSH test is not reliable, you really need to get free T4 and T3 done.

Also have you had a glucose tolerance test with insulin levels measured. PCOS starts with insulin problems which mean your insulin would be too high, the high insulin levels then affect the ovaries which produce too much androgenic hormones. Even without PCOS, insulin resistance and high insulin levels can cause weight gain and prevent weight loss.

Lee

Leemack, thank you for the message. I had strange symptoms, like freezing cold hands, sometimes just the left one, mild galactorrhea, blacking out (but not totally fainting), horrible insomnia, strong fatigue, and of course the weight gain, and the eventual cessation of my periods. Since being on the progesterone, all these symptoms have gone away except for the insomnia. But I begin to feel very weak on cycle day 8 or 9, when I'm supposed to take the progesterone starting on day 12.

Yes, I had the free T4 and T3 done, and they were normal (don't have the report in front of me). I had two 3-hour GTTs and while my FBG was 106 one time and 110 the other, the rise and fall over the three hours was normal, according to my doctor. However, my HbA1c was 6.1, which was also pronounced to be fine. All this while low-carbing and putting weight on very quickly.

All my hormones were normal except for the progesterone.

I did make an appointment with an endocrinologist for next Thursday.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-12, 11:50
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaT
Leemack, thank you for the message. I had strange symptoms, like freezing cold hands, sometimes just the left one, mild galactorrhea, blacking out (but not totally fainting), horrible insomnia, strong fatigue, and of course the weight gain, and the eventual cessation of my periods. Since being on the progesterone, all these symptoms have gone away except for the insomnia. But I begin to feel very weak on cycle day 8 or 9, when I'm supposed to take the progesterone starting on day 12.

Yes, I had the free T4 and T3 done, and they were normal (don't have the report in front of me). I had two 3-hour GTTs and while my FBG was 106 one time and 110 the other, the rise and fall over the three hours was normal, according to my doctor. However, my HbA1c was 6.1, which was also pronounced to be fine. All this while low-carbing and putting weight on very quickly.

All my hormones were normal except for the progesterone.

I did make an appointment with an endocrinologist for next Thursday.

To me your A1C and fbg are higher than normal, though fbg tends to be higher on low carb. Normal A1C is lower than 5.5.

Hopefully the endo will be able to help you.

Lee
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-12, 21:53

BF:

Quote:
To me your A1C and fbg are higher than normal, though fbg tends to be higher on low carb. Normal A1C is lower than 5.5.

Hopefully the endo will be able to help you.

Lee

Lee, thank you for discussing all this with me. I didn't know FBG can be higher on low carb. I'll see what the endocrinologist says, although next Thursday is just an "introductory" appointment. I have to bring him all my past tests, etc.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-12, 06:14
NEVER GIVING UP!

This is a good article to read on fbg and low carb:

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot....resistance.html

Good luck with the endo.

Lee
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-12, 20:36

BF:

Quote:
This is a good article to read on fbg and low carb:

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot....resistance.html

Good luck with the endo.

Lee

Lee, thank you for the article. I'll see what he says, if there's anything else I can do. Hope everything is going well for you.

Anna