Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 10:12

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 132/130/114 Female 65.5in
BF:
Progress: 11%
Question Period 6 Days Late, No Weight Loss--

Hello everyone,

I am on week 2 day 5 of the ketogenic diet. I have been consuming high fat, moderate protein, and low carb. On average, my carbs have been 10-40g (the first few days around 30-40, and lately 10-20)

I am 17 yo (about to be 18) female, and 5'5.5" with a start weight of 132lbs.

Today I am about 129.5lbs, though my weight has been fluctuating.
I thought I would have dropped water weight because of my low carbs, but I did not. I have been consuming 2-4L water a day on average.
My average calories have been 1400-2300 calories, being closer to 2300 at the beginning and lessening towards this week when I was not seeing loss.

I have not been doing any exercise, save walking up/down stairs in my house to do various things or walking around in the store for an hour or two.

My problem now is that I checked my menstrual cycle calendar and saw that today is the day that I was supposed to end my period! I was very surprised. I am 6 days late. My last period was April 7-12. I usually have a 6-7 day period every 19 days.

*EDIT
(I forgot to mention I couldn't be pregnant because I am a virgin.)

I was supposed to start May 1. A few days ago I began to have the feeling that it was coming, so hopefully it will be here within a few days.

My question is, could my lack of weight loss be due to my period? And could my period's lateness be due to ketosis? I saw that when fat is metabolized, estrogen is lost, and low-estrogen can result in missed or late periods. If I am losing estrogen, does that mean it is coming from body fat, or could it also be from metabolized dietary fat (does dietary fat contain estrogen?i have no idea)? If it is from body fat, does that mean I have lost weight, even though it is not showing?

When I get my period, should I expect weight loss soon (the week) after? I suspect that I may experience a "whoosh" because this is my first time doing low-carb intentionally, though it may not be my first time in ketosis, as I have fasted before because of my Christian Faith, though it has never affected my period. My period has been regular for the last 5-6 years. Once I had two periods in a month because of stress, but that has been the only irregularity.

Sorry for the overload of questions haha. I'm just confused about what's going on right now.

Thanks for your help and may GOD Bless you with His Lovingkindness and mercy, and with the Love of His Son Jesus Christ forever!

Last edited by milk : Sat, May-07-11 at 10:33.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 16:36

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

I actally at first had the very heavy period problem. My Doctor who is a 10 year lc dieter himself said it was normal with a diet change for it to mess up your period.
I missed mine this month and I've never missed while on the pill. So, I'm assuming it can go both ways. I of course since I'm married. LOL a newlywed at that. Took a pregnancy test and It was negative.
Good luck!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-08-11, 21:56

BF:

Thanks.
I started my period later on the day I posted the OP. I can't tell yet if it's different than normal yet; usually it's heavy with cramping on the first day and slight cramps day 2. Yesterday I had cramps which was normal and today I didn't. I have a feeling it will be shorter than normal, but my TOM calendar calculator app says it will be longer than a week (whew) hope I'm right. sorry for slight grossness
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 02:03

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi there,

Are you sure you need to be dieting???

One, you could still be growing and dieting is not a good idea at all when your bones and goodness knows what else are still being made.

Two, for your height, 130lbs seems fine!

Just a thought...

amanda
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 07:48

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

That was a good call amanda. I don't see anything wrong with her choosing a low carb lifestyle at her age.

However, my Doctor told me 5 ft tall should be 100 lbs. Then 5lbs more for every inch. So you "should" depending on bone structure be a bout 127. If you diet to lose fat you don't have you will lose muscle mass. Please be careful.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-09-11, 09:36

BF:

Thanks,

I've been consuming adequate protein in order to not lose muscle mass. My goal is to cut some fat now, and afterwards I'd like to build some muscle. Though I don't have to be dieting, from what I've read it should be fine for me to do Ketogenic Diet in order to cut fat and conserve muscle mass.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-10-11, 03:15

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylakala
That was a good call amanda. I don't see anything wrong with her choosing a low carb lifestyle at her age.

However, my Doctor told me 5 ft tall should be 100 lbs. Then 5lbs more for every inch. So you "should" depending on bone structure be a bout 127. If you diet to lose fat you don't have you will lose muscle mass. Please be careful.

Hi kaylakala,

I agree with you absolutely about a low-carb lifestyle being OK for someone aged 17, nearly 18, what I disagree with is the need to diet at that age.

amanda