Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-06, 09:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Peanut, usually those issues happen when someone is taking some sort of medication that causes potassium to increase or decrease. Too little potassium results in deadly issues as well. The other issue that can cause potassium problems, but on the low side, is drinking too much water. Seems like every year we've got runners dropping over dead because they drink far too much water during races.

If you want really large amounts of potassium, you have to have a doctor's prescription. The pills you buy in a health food store seem to be very, very limited. I seem to recall they're maybe at most 200mg. It'd take 5 of them to make a gram. I'm not sure what the LD50 of potassium is, but probably much bigger than 3.5g.

I think safe caveats for potassium would be, if you're taking heart or BP medication, check with your physician. Don't go crazy with the supplements and don't go crazy over drinking water either.

I usually just shake some potassium salt on whatever I'm eating.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-06, 10:09

Plan: OWL
Stats: 225/223/145 Female 66.5"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Hi, Thanks for the suggestions. I have been takeing them both only twice a day.
Yes Peanut, I think that I will call my doc, and see what he says. I haven't been there since I started to LC. And I have lost 30 lbs since then. I can't wait to see his face.
Zuleikaa, I do pee a lot, but I drink 5-6 quarts of water a day. So I'm sure I am losing alot of vitamins.

I will let you all know what I find out.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-06, 11:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow! Drinking that much water could account for your cramps.
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-06, 12:54
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Wow! Drinking that much water could account for your cramps.
Surely!!!!!
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 05:50

Plan: OWL
Stats: 225/223/145 Female 66.5"
BF:
Progress: 3%

HI Everyone,
I haven't been able to find time for myself to get to the doctors yet. With DH going to the hospital everyday for the hyperbaric chamber and the physical therapy, I am worn out. But I really should, I know. And since my doctor is just down the street. Excuses, excuses.
My leg cramp tonight was so weird. My left foot feels like it is turning inward. It hurts so much I have to step down on it to get it to straighten out. So I couldn't get back to sleep. Also I got a job yesterday, and I am so excited. I haven't worked in over 5 years, since my hip replacement. I will be working for DH's Doctor, as their receptionist. I am so excited, I have been looking for a job for a few months. I am tired of staying home, and we want to buy a Class A RV in a few years. So this will defiantly help us.

I hope all is well, and I promise to get to my Doc's soon.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 17:21
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
If you want really large amounts of potassium, you have to have a doctor's prescription. The pills you buy in a health food store seem to be very, very limited. I seem to recall they're maybe at most 200mg. It'd take 5 of them to make a gram. I'm not sure what the LD50 of potassium is, but probably much bigger than 3.5g.

You can get a lot of potassium from salt substitutes.

The RDA of potassium is like 3.5 grams. Potassium supplement tablets are .099 grams. So it should be like 35 tablets, per day, to reach your RDA. In other words, use the salt substitute!
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 06:26
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleynana
HI Everyone,
My leg cramp tonight was so weird. My left foot feels like it is turning inward. It hurts so much I have to step down on it to get it to straighten out.
Sounds like calcium imbalance to me. Lack of sufficient calcium will cause "drawing up" of extremities via cramping. Calcium should always be sufficient when taking magnesium.

Always take vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium together for good bone and muscle health. Extra magnesium and potassium for general cramping. Calcium and magnesium are partners and cause problems when they get out of balance. Cal/mag should be taken in the ratio of 2:1 up to 1:1; magnesium should never be more than calcium.

Congratulations on your new job!!!
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 19:48

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebaldwin
You can get a lot of potassium from salt substitutes.

The RDA of potassium is like 3.5 grams. Potassium supplement tablets are .099 grams. So it should be like 35 tablets, per day, to reach your RDA. In other words, use the salt substitute!

I need to point out that all this assumes that the person is getting absolutely NO potassium in their diet and if they are low carbing and eating their meat, eggs, cheese and veggies as they should, chances are good that they are already getting close to that 3.5 grams of potassium through diet alone. If not, supplementing with up to 400 mg. daily would probably be safe assuming that the person is not taking a potassium sparing diuretic or blood pressure medication. Please, please, please...check with your doctor or pharmacist before supplementing with any of the supplements mentioned in this thread as all can cause cardiac dysrhythmias (heart beat irregularities) if they become out of balance or when taken in combination with certain medications.