Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 01:20

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 180/180/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Nitrate-free meats?

I'm just starting the Schwarzbein WOE, and I'm wondering about the whole nitrate-free sausage, bacon, and lunchmeat thing. Does anyone know of any brands of any of the above that are "approved"?

Also, she doesn't really give a guideline on how much protein and/or fat to consume daily - what is everyone else doing? I got a protein guideline from the Protein Power book, and it's light years more than what I've been doing (which, btw, is probably why I'm in the mess I'm in...and according to Schwarzbein, malnourished to boot!).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 07:42

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Default re: meats and protein

I've not had much luck finding nitrate-free processed meats. I think Italian sausage is usually nitrate-free (it is at Cosco). As far as bacon, breakfast sausage and lunch meats, I use soy versions. I have seen turkey versions that are nitrate-free. Recently I found a local farm which raises range fed livestock without hormones or drugs, and I ordered 1/2 pig from them, which will be ready this fall. I'll order it processed without preservatives. You could check around and see if you could find something similar in your area.

I base my protein intake on the Zone calculations, which are probably similar to Protein Power. I just use that as a guideline; I have stopped weighing everything. Also try to listen to your body. It will tell you when you've eaten enough protein at a meal, just takes a little practice

Jen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 07:48

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 178/158/145
BF:36%/23.5%/22.5%
Progress: 61%

The Whole Food Market (national health food chain) sells nitrate free bacon and hot dogs. Haven't tried them yet but they're there. I believe Amy's sells a nitrate free chicken dog that's very good.

If you don't have a Whole Foods store, maybe you have something similar in your area.

Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 16:08

Plan: schwarzbein principle
Stats: 196/177/135
BF:30/27/15
Progress: 31%
Default Do you have a farm in your area?

We have several family farms in this area, and one meat processing place that deals only with pork. A friend of ours works there, and he's informed me that they will sell the ground pork plain and you can do whatever you want with it.
We are getting ten pounds of it, and I will season it a couple of different ways, then vacuum seal and freeze it. I can't wait.