Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-25-06, 23:12

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 206/188/180 Female 5 5' inches
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Coconut oil .. or its products?

Uhmm.. so I have been reading several threads on the site and many times I hear about Coconut oil this and that ... I search the product section here to see if I found any info or opinions of the product but could not find such... Soooo What's up with coconut oil??!!! what are your experiences with it? would you recommend it? and wasn't coconut oil supposed to be bad.. like full of saturated fat...you know solid a room temperature...

thanks,
Michelle
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-06, 07:41

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have been reading up on this and I am impressed with its abilities. For years it has been dissed by experts as being very unhealthy. I get the magazine She Knows Low Carb which had an article in an earlier issue about the benefits of coconut products, especially the oil. I loaned out my magazine and don't have information, word for word, but it stated that coconut oil heats up the metabolism,increasing energy. It raises good cholesterol without affecting the bad cholesterol. It is good for thyroid support. It has antibodies which fights bacteria and viruses. It softens skin.It is also good for wrinkles so basically it is the Fountain of Youth that Marco Polo was searching for...It was Marco Polo wasn't it?

Here's my experience: I have lost 6 lbs this month. That is the most I have lost since last summer '05. My skin is oiler which is bad for my face but I have not needed to use lotion or any other moisturizer on the rest of my body. Now the recommended "dosage" was 3 1/2 tablespoons daily. That is a lot but I try to come as close to that as I can. I look forward to seeing its results a year from now. It has proven to be more promising than chromium which I blame for a 10 lb gain last year.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-06, 07:52

BF:

Here is the link to the article I read back in February. I am sorry, this goes to the wrong page. Well, anyway click on this and do a google search for coconut oil. Then, scroll down to "Low Carb Health and Medical Conditions: Coconut and Coconut Oil.

http://sheknows.com/about/look/6958.html

Last edited by black57 : Mon, Jun-26-06 at 08:06.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 08:11

Plan: Atkins/Callanetics
Stats: 168/157/110 Female 5'2"
BF:Sz16/sz14/sz6
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
It is also good for wrinkles so basically it is the Fountain of Youth that Marco Polo was searching for...It was Marco Polo wasn't it?

Actually, it was Ponce de Leon..........
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 09:23

Plan: VLKD / paleo
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 176 cm
BF:lots
Progress: 0%

I love coconut oil on my skin (as in monoi tiare, about the best moisturizer and massage oil andbody lotion in the world). Now that I got a chance to buy 2 litres of organic virgin coconut oil I am incorporating the stuff into my diet.

I can't say if it makes a difference by now, but it sure tastes nice, and if I have a fat craing - sometimes I might crave mayo - now I go for the coconut oil.

Don't worry about the saturated fats, it's all a myth, actually coconut fat is good for you

dhania
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 11:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by awordqueen
Actually, it was Ponce de Leon..........

Oh yeah. I knew that. I was just testing you guys
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 11:52
Needlehole

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I was thinking of purchasing some of this myself. I was curious how it tastes exactly? Just like a coconut?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 13:09
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

Quote:
Now the recommended "dosage" was 3 1/2 tablespoons daily. That is a lot but I try to come as close to that as I can.

Black57, can you tell us how you use it? For grilling, just taking by the tablespoon, or simply in place of other oils with foods? Can you use it for basting foods you are baking, like chicken? I want to get a bottle and start using it instead of butter.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 14:27

BF:

You know. Coconut oil is so expensive, I don't like using it to fry with. Too much is tossed out. I add it to my vegetables, like butter. I use it with butter and curry powder which makes a really good sauce that I also pour on my meat. I use it in my coffee. Coconut milk can also be put in coffee and added to other foods such as shrimp.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 20:41

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 206/188/180 Female 5 5' inches
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default so many uses...

thanks for all the ideas for coconut oil .. regarding the skin and hair thing is supposed to be great so I think will start to use it on anything and everything... at the moment I'm in induction had some sweet graving so i have used stevia and aspartame to help withit along with heavy cream and cream cheese . think its making my ketones strips less purple .. more on the pink side.. so I think from what I read here and on the web perhaps coconut oil can be the silver bullet to help me with the sweet cravings and perhaps help kick me more into deep ketosis.. uhmm I hope ..I only hope.... ( dreading the balance for friday)...
thanks again for all the ideas regarding the oil..

cheers,
Michelle
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-06, 01:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Here's my experience: I have lost 6 lbs this month. That is the most I have lost since last summer '05. My skin is oiler which is bad for my face but I have not needed to use lotion or any other moisturizer on the rest of my body. Now the recommended "dosage" was 3 1/2 tablespoons daily. That is a lot but I try to come as close to that as I can. I look forward to seeing its results a year from now. It has proven to be more promising than chromium which I blame for a 10 lb gain last year.

Did you find that you were less hungry, so you also ate less, or did you eat the same amount, plus the coconut oil. 3 1/2 tablespoons is a lot of extra calories, so that is really interesting if you can add in that amount of calories on top of your baseline eating and still lose weight like that.

I like to make the chocolate coconut bark recipe but I haven't made it in quite awhile. It's really easy to get in 3 1/2 tablespoons/day of coconut oil if you eat it as candy- at least it is for me!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-06, 02:58

BF:

ddaniels, I think 3 1/2 tablespoons of coconut oil is alot even without the calories. I could still eat the same amount of food, but I have backed off a little because of the calories. Considering the benefits, I would rather keep as much of this product in my diet that I can.

Oh yeah, I have also made cinnamon butter with the coconut oil and spread it on my low carb bread.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-06, 03:43

Plan: Slimfast
Stats: 216/184/174 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress:

I've heard good things about coconut oil too but not actually tried it.

It is a medium-chain saturated fat but is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-microbial etc plus it is supposed to speed up your metabolism thus aiding weight loss.It's also supposed to breakdown in your liver quite quickly providing lots of energy.

From a cosmetic point of view it's supposed to aid in the reduction of wrinkles.

Might be worth giving it a test trial.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-06, 07:05
Needlehole

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I found in iteresting article regarding the use of coconut oil this morning,

http://thyroidstory.mivox.com/archi...il-interesting/

Quote:
So… the big question becomes: which coconut oil to buy? Dr. Mercola recommends Tropical Traditions Virgin Coconut Oil from the Philipines. It’s made from fresh organic coconut, and is not refined or distilled in any way. Trouble is, it tastes like coconut. All “virgin” coconut oil tastes like coconut. That’s great if you like coconut, or you’re cooking a recipe that’s supposed to taste like coconut. But I’m not so sure I want everything I cook to taste like coconut… (I’m thinking of buying Tropical Traditions’ Coconut Cream though, because I do have recipes that use coconut milk, and their cream can be diluted to substitiute for coconut milk.)

Personally, I bought Omega Nutrition’s minimally processed organic coconut oil. It’s also from the Philipines, but it’s expeller pressed from dried coconut, and then vacuum distilled to removed the coconut flavor. It’s not chemically processed, or high-heat distilled (which are two things Mercola.com recommends against), and since the greatest benefit of coconut oil is the MCTs, which are not destroyed or altered by vacuum distilling at all, I figure it’s plenty good enough for everyday use. I’d rather not have my morning toast taste like coconut, thanks. And it seems to be doing the trick

I'm thinking of trying it this week as well, it really looks promising! I called my healthfood store, and although its not the exact product that this author reccommends, its still an organic & unrefined product as well.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-06, 07:21

Plan: Atkins/Callanetics
Stats: 168/157/110 Female 5'2"
BF:Sz16/sz14/sz6
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needlehole
So… the big question becomes: which coconut oil to buy? Dr. Mercola recommends Tropical Traditions Virgin Coconut Oil from the Philipines. It’s made from fresh organic coconut, and is not refined or distilled in any way. Trouble is, it tastes like coconut. All “virgin” coconut oil tastes like coconut. That’s great if you like coconut, or you’re cooking a recipe that’s supposed to taste like coconut. But I’m not so sure I want everything I cook to taste like coconut… (I’m thinking of buying Tropical Traditions’ Coconut Cream though, because I do have recipes that use coconut milk, and their cream can be diluted to substitiute for coconut milk.)

I like coconut, but I also don't want EVERYTHING to taste like coconut. I purchased my Nutiva Coconut Oil from netrition.com (it was cheaper than Tropical Traditions and I think it is just as good). I fixed some scrambled eggs with it and did NOT like my eggs tasting like coconut. So my plan is to use it in protein shakes and see if that is more to my liking.

You also have the option of making coconut bark, which I have also done, and it is delicious as long as you don't OVER indulge! I can't speak for everyone, but I've found that consuming TOO MUCH makes me sick to my stomach--but that's if you consume it all at once.

Personally, I plan to use only about a teaspoon in my shake initially and gradually increase it until I get up to about 2 tbspns spaced throughout the day. By the way, I'm only consuming about a third of a shake at a time, so I'll have 3 portions daily with 1 tsp in each one.