Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-21, 15:34
Registered Member

Plan: LC + Noom
Stats: 200/190/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Single carb meal put it all on

I started on 3/7 at 200#. I have weighed myself daily and graphed it in Noom. A single day of eating carbs on 3/26 (ie. Handful of barbecue fritoes, cherry yogurt, a banana, and rice in my soup) caused a jump back to almost 200# today (3/28). I even exercised for the first time on 3/26 for 50 minutes. I have been eating salty foods throughout and logging 6 glasses of water daily. I'm just AMAZED that this single day threw me so far off. My weight graph has a dramatic spike after steady losing. Lesson learned.

I'm back on my low carb again. I FEEL better on low carb, look better, have more energy, and less knee pain. Age 50. I know next week or the week after will show losing again.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-21, 15:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Read why the scale can lie, first post. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=365499
All your loses the first week were water, and it will come back in an instant if your glycogen stores are refilled by eating carbs.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-21, 15:49
Registered Member

BF:

True, it was water but I wasn't dehydrated. The water loss really made my joints feel dramatically better (I have significant generalized OA). And now I'm kicked out of ketosis.

I'll read your link, thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-21, 20:03

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Yup. Water weight. And out of ketosis for a bit. But no worries, Dr Atkins suggests Induction again to get back in the game. The water weight will fall away again.

To be clear: water weight is put on between cells, in blood, all around the body. Not filling in fat cells. How silly of fat cells to fill with water like water balloons. They are fat storage. Salts get redistributed and contribute to holding water.

This weigh will come off easily when back in ketosis.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Mon, Mar-29-21 at 09:51.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-21, 20:26

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

The notion that fat cells replace the fat volume with water volume has been pretty thoroughly debunked over the last many years. It was an attractive way of explaining the whoosh phenomenon that many observe, but it hasn't held up to close scrutiny. Some have jumped on the opposite claim that this means that the notion of the "whoosh" is therefore an illusion, but I don't think this is at all the case, it's just that the mechanism behind it is a lot more complicated and at least there are several researchers that are trying to pin it down.

I do think that when your body is established in a glycogen metabolism that your water/electrolyte balance is simply different than when you are established on a ketone metabolism. This largely explains the rapid loss when going to LC and the rapid gain when falling off LC (though it doesn't address the whoosh effect, which is clearly real, just not well understood).

Don't put too much credence in trying to match up short-term fluctuations with short-term salt intake or exercise. It's much more chaotic than that. The body simply has way too many things going on all at the same time to make much sense out of daily, or even weekly, fluctuations.

Keep in mind that a liter of water is more than two pounds and most of us can drink a liter of water in very short order. I know that my bladder can hold slightly over a liter of urine (as demonstrated quite graphically to one nurse when I was in the hospital and she insisted that a one liter bottle was more than sufficient -- and who got to change the sheets shortly after that).

So right there is the potential for a four pound swing in short order having to do with nothing more than whether you have recently drank a lot combined with whether you have recently emptied your bladder.

We all want instant gratification and we want explanations for why we aren't seeing it. That's part of being human. But we need to get over it when it comes to health and weight and diet and fitness. These are slow trends against the background of a lot of fast noise.

Getting over it is hard -- damn hard. It goes against the grain. Some people get over it by refusing to step on a scale more than once a month (and some only do so once a quarter in order to really drown out the noise). I don't think that's very realistic for most of us. Weekly is probably a decent middle ground, but if the low takes you down a couple of pounds one week and up a couple pounds the next, that can completely overwhelm the actual loss that has occurred -- so we need to be prepared to shrug it off.

I'm still one of those that insist on weighing daily, but have to constantly remind myself that daily and weekly fluctuations have to be discounted. Even on a monthly level they can be frustrating. So increasingly I am putting emphasis on where I am today relative to the beginning of the PRIOR month. I am slowly getting better at letting that rule my emotions.

Last edited by wbahn : Sun, Mar-28-21 at 20:31.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-21, 04:00

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I know it didn't seem like "much" carbs, especially compared to how most people eat. But if you add them up you might be surprised at how many.

The way I view such indulgence is similar to how I see eating after the late afternoon. Usually I'm not hungry and sail right on to bedtime. But when I do feel hungry, I make sure I really am, because I'm a couple hours out, or more, on my long fasting period. Do I really want to start over?

Likewise, asking my body to crank up the carb machinery instead of the fat burning one is like an 18-wheeler slamming on the brakes. Takes a long time to work up through the gears again.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-21, 04:27

To quote Amy Burger:

Quote:
“I got kicked out of ketosis.”

If I never hear or read those six words, in that order, ever again, I’ll be one happy individual

Read why:
http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/0...-a-ketard1.html

Another great explanation available at Marty Kendall's Big Fat Keto Lies.

Keto Lie #2: You have to be ‘in ketosis’ to burn fat

https://optimisingnutrition.com/ket...fat/#more-21420
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-21, 08:35

BF:

What's FAR more important than the impact of one day of "wrong" eating is to not let it start a slide that makes you fall off the wagon entirely. That is extremely common and has happened repeatedly to many of us (myself included). It's insidious and it comes in different guises. Sometimes the slip results (or at least appears to) a gain that undoes a bunch of hard fought progress, so it demoralizes you and that starts a pattern of worse and worse slips. Sometimes, for us true addicts, it's a trigger that leads to a full-on bender. Sometimes, and I think this can be the worst, nothing happens or you even lose weight (probably because it was just time to lose weight) and so you think that it's okay to eat that way and then you slowly lose control. Each of these has happened to me more than once. So now my big task is to figure out how to keep them from ever happening again, because for me there's really isn't any recovery that has worked -- it's always been a complete backslide and a new attempt months (or years) later.

So this time I'm taking a hard stand. It's unrealistic to think that I can keep a slip from ever happening, so when it does it is take-no-prisoners, back-to-square-one, Induction for two weeks and start over. If that arrests the slip, it will be a price well and happily paid.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-21, 11:52
Registered Member

BF:

Well, back to 190 again after an apparent water "whoosh" last night. So glad I stuck with it rather than gave up. Can walk up/down stairs again without limping. This is the first time in my life that I've weighed myself on a daily basis & logged a graph, and it's interesting to see the spike on my plot graph directly attributable to carb intake.

Thanks so much for all the posts, each and every one of them helps me stay on track. I appreciate it.

Last edited by eggsnsteak : Mon, Mar-29-21 at 11:57.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-21, 12:03

BF:

Way to GO!

IF we can stick with it, then it DOES and WILL work.

As you and me and so many others can readily attest, sticking with it is not nearly as easy as all the books say it is. But that's true of any diet or exercise plan that is a significant departure from what we're accustom to.

The key is find the things that we need to do or stop doing that cause us to not stick with it. You've just found one and found a way to push through it.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-21, 12:06
Registered Member

BF:

I hear you, wbahn! Yes, it's important to immediately self-correct when mistakes happen. I bought a bathing suit last night as part of the "jump back on the wagon" motivation. It's a size too small right now & just another motivation tool for the end goal (Hawaii trip).

In the old days I would slip here or there until eventually falling off *for years*. I'm back at LCing after gaining 40 pounds from the first time doing this years ago. And when I joined the first time, I had just had a baby -- and yet now I'm so much heavier than when 9 months pregnant. Yes, a slip can last YEARS. Keeping a graph of daily weights makes it more real and immediate for me in terms of progress and the impact of slips.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-21, 12:30

BF:

That's great. Do bear in mind that that daily graph is a two-edged sword. There WILL be times that, after two or three weeks of being faithful and seeing the graph stay flat that you will see it start moving up. Very disheartening. That's when you've got to really stick with it because that trend is usually a harbinger of a really good whoosh in the near future. But no matter how much you know or believe that, it is still a gut-punch to see the graph behave like that.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-21, 13:29
Registered Member

BF:

Preparing self for the gut punch as we speak, but remembering (as someone else posted) that consistency + time = success.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-21, 04:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbahn
What's FAR more important than the impact of one day of "wrong" eating is to not let it start a slide that makes you fall off the wagon entirely.

YES. Seriously. What with the pandemic and the holiday season I indulged and gained some and worse -- set up a hidden slide that ambushed me a month after I'd gotten back on the horse New Year's Day. Still getting through this flareup.

While others may not have my range of immediate to delayed bad results of indulgence and in how bad my results can get... it happens to everyone.

Listen to those aching joints. They are trying to tell you something.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-21, 04:29

To smooth out the daily graph...check out the Happy Scale app. It's free for iPhones, you can smooth the daily weights with 7 day moving average or other formulas, many features to encourage looking at "the big picture". Because water weight on LC does move frequently, averaging daily numbers works well to lessen the emotional impact.