Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-19-07, 19:55
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Pregnant and due in early 2008

Hi everyone!

Well, I can hardly believe I'm posting this, because I have to tell you that it is surreal. But I am pregnant. Wow. Those words are still so powerful to me. I'm still in awe of this whole process and so scared I'll wake up from this dream, ya know? But it's more than a dream now. I've done my own HPTs (multiple of them, I feel silly admitting), the doctor's confirmation by test and physical exam AND my first ultrasound. There is no doubt and now I only hope and pray for continued health for my baby and me as I enter into this new chapter in my life.

I know I sound so dramatic, but I'm just so respectful of all this and can't believe how I've been blessed. I'm truly thankful and look forward to the support those of you who've been there are able to give me.

I'm eating well...pretty much like I did before, except I've upped my carbs a bit and I'm enjoying some things I'd avoided before for weight loss (having more fruit and starchy veggies in moderation). I'm still exercising, only I changed over to a combination of pilates, yoga and water aerobics and backed off on the hardcore weight training and exercise. I still do various cardio work and weight training, but I'm listening to my body while doing so and the new plan I have feels right for me.

Is anyone else here in the same timeframe? I'd love to share information. I welcome any and all advice!

Last edited by lisaz8605 : Sat, May-19-07 at 20:43.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-20-07, 11:29

Plan: My Own
Stats: 262/235.4/170 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

just wanted to say congratulations

i just had my 2nd baby in Feb.....such a joy!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-21-07, 15:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/136/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

CONGRATULATIONS Lisa!!!

I am due in December. Your eating plan sounds about like mine. I have not been perfect, but I recommitted today. Do you have a specific number of carbs you are aiming for? My target is 60-70 net carbs. That seems to work for me as a maintenance range.

Again, congratulations!!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-21-07, 17:22
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Thanks for the congrats, Amy (wonderful news about your second child - good health to you and your fam!).

Daisymaiz, congrats to you too! Are you due in early or late December? Ok, maybe mid to late based on your counter? I see you're a little over 9 weeks and I'm just into my 7th week.

It sounds like you and I are eating very similarly. I'm shooting for 50-75 NET as well...some days it might be more, but that's the general range. I'm also striving to have about 100g protein (based on my PPLP requirements) and I keep lots of healthy fat going in as well.

Oh, I haven't been perfect, either! Recently I indulged in ice cream (and OMG was it good). And last weekend, for the first time in years I actually ate a Hostell Yodel! LOL But I'd been changing my eating habits for quite some time...organic foods, special eggs, all-natural PB...avoiding trans fats and HFCS...you get the idea. So the transition for me was fairly easy.

Let's keep in touch. Good luck and good health to you! I'm looking forward to your updates.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-21-07, 19:56

BF:

Sounds good!

I'm due December 20th, but I already know I'm having a C-section, so I'm thinking it might be scheduled a little earlier than that. We'll see.

I also should say I am very impressed with your exercising! I was doing pretty well with that before I got pregnant, but since....I have been so tired lately I haven't. I know that might get better if I would start, but the last few days I have had to FORCE myself to do anything, even routine chores...no fun. Well worth it though!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-21-07, 20:01
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisymaiz
Sounds good!

I'm due December 20th, but I already know I'm having a C-section, so I'm thinking it might be scheduled a little earlier than that. We'll see.

I also should say I am very impressed with your exercising! I was doing pretty well with that before I got pregnant, but since....I have been so tired lately I haven't. I know that might get better if I would start, but the last few days I have had to FORCE myself to do anything, even routine chores...no fun. Well worth it though!

Oh the fatigue! Wow...I've always been a very active person, running myself ragged, but I'll tell you I've never known fatigue like this! I had to drag myself to the gym today and it wasn't a great class. Ugh. But I was going to the gym regularly before and I'm going to try to keep doing it the best I can. I'm going to be kind to myself, though. And as for chores...let's just say around here my philosophy is that the laundry and dishes can wait. LOL (I've got a business to run, so that and my health come first!)
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-21-07, 20:09

BF:

I share your philosophy.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-22-07, 09:08
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Ok, next question for the pros of LCing and pregnancy...

I just posted in my journal that I feel like I'm gaining weight too fast (based on what I read I should be gaining).

For those of you that did keep your carb levels moderate, how were your fat and protein levels?

I guess it's a bit confusing for me because I have higher protein levels (based on my Protein Power approach) and I've upped my fat a good bit...and I was successfully losing with more fat (as well as limited carb levels). But now that I've raised the carb levels, I wonder if I need to back off on the fat a bit. I'd rather not, as I thought it would be a great thing for baby development. Oh yeah, I realize too that there are other factors that could be affecting my gain on the scale, such as being stopped up, working out (my experience has been new or challenging workouts and weight training does affect weigh-ins for me) and general water retention.

I know worrying is a part of the process, but if you have any thoughts/advice or just basic commiseration, it's welcome!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-22-07, 10:17

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Ok, so I am pregnant now. I concieved on the 9th. I have all the typical early pregnancy symptoms except for nausea. (if I eat sm freq meals)

I too am tired. The gym is the least of my worries. I am a cardiac RN that works twelve hour night shifts So go ahead, tell me how tired you are! I know it is only gonna get worse before it gets better-and then get worse again

My eating plan is to eat as I have been. Most days I average 0-60. I do not plan on upping my carbs because frankly, I really dont believe I need them. (note to others, dont even try to convince me otherwise)

I am happy to see that things are going great for you both. Congratulations!!!!
It will be nice to check in from time to time......
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-22-07, 13:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
Ok, next question for the pros of LCing and pregnancy...

For those of you that did keep your carb levels moderate, how were your fat and protein levels?

I don't know, but am also interested to hear anyone's answers.

Welcome Bandito, and congratulations!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-22-07, 14:43
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Bandito, that's great news!!! Congratulations!! I like your approach and I hope it goes well for you. I don't know what I'm convinced of (still kind of fluctuating) but I'm happy you know what you want to do and are doing it. Your career sounds rough. I have a rough time of it too when shooting weddings, but at least that's only one day on the weekend versus every day!

BTW, I've decided that I need to bring the fat back down a bit if I'm going to keep the carb level I have, which is going to be tricky. So have a choice to make...either go into Bandito's camp and lower the carbs, or lower the fat. Can't have it all!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-22-07, 18:07

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Why lower the fat? That is a structural material. You and Your baby need that more than carbs.

Fat and protein should be your focus especially during the early stages of your pregnancy.

Why up your carbs? What is your reasoning behind that?

I think you will gain more weight upping your carbs.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-22-07, 18:54
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
Why lower the fat? That is a structural material. You and Your baby need that more than carbs.

Fat and protein should be your focus especially during the early stages of your pregnancy.

Why up your carbs? What is your reasoning behind that?

I think you will gain more weight upping your carbs.

Yup....that's what I'm starting to think! I either lower the fat or lower the carbs and I think fat is FAR more important to my growing baby.

Thanks for your response!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-24-07, 14:11

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

I just thought I would come in here and see who is expecting. I have two little girls that are 3 and 19 months old. Both of them I low carbed while pregnant, managed to barely gain any weight, and had normal healthy girls. I had gestational diabetes while I was at it.
1st, you need the protein and fats for the baby's neurological development. Don't skimp on them! Remember it is the carbs that cause weight gain, not Fat or protein.
2- don't skimp on food. Eat all the healty vegetables you can.
3. Don't completely worry about what you can and can not manage to eat. Do your best.

Good luck ladies. It can be done!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-24-07, 14:31
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Excellent advice, Tigersue. I think I'm definitely enjoying carb levels a bit too much and also dealing with water retention! Ugh. But otherwise I feel GREAT and no...I haven't skimped on proteins or fats at all. So despite any too-fast weight gain I might be experiencing, I do at least know I've been doing right by my baby for developmental nourishment.