Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 11:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 274/248.4/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Birth Control?

Has taking the pill affected your weightloss?

My dh and I have decided to wait a year to try again for another baby. We had a miscarriage in March and I can't help but feel guilty that it's from me being overweight. I went to the doctor's today to get on BC and I told him I need something that isn't going to work against me... Well they all say weight gain! I know I gained weight last time but I wasn't eating well so I can't tell if that is a side affect for me. The doctor said it could take up to 6 months for me to know if weight gain is a side affect... At 6 month I would like to meet my first goal!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 11:55
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I don't think I gained on nuvo ring. But I was only on it a couple months....
A woman I know loved Yaz. No weight gain on that one...
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 12:24

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:

I took Yaz after years on Ortho Tri Cyclen and I loved it. It's lower hormone, so it doesn't mess with your body as much as the regular bcp's. Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo would also be a low hormone option (at least that one has a generic option, unlike Yaz, so it would save you money).

There are also other birth control options - no one says you have to get something hormonal. You can get an IUD that doesn't have any hormones, I believe (I think there are two types of IUD's, I don't know much about them so I can't go into any more details than that). There are also condoms - I know, not the idea for most married couples, but it's always an option. You can also follow FAM, where you take your temperature every morning and chart your temps and cervical mucus in order to know when you're fertile and when you're not (therefore when you can have sex and when you either need to abstain or use a condom). I used this method in order to get pregnant and I didn't think it was difficult at all! In fact, after I have my baby this is what I plan to use as my birth control instead of going back on any kind of hormones. I hated the way the pill made me feel, only I didn't realize what it did to me until after I went off of it... But, to each their own!

Good luck with whatever you choose! Sorry I rambled on so much.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-21-09, 13:50

Plan: The Stress Eating Cure
Stats: 239.2/225/160 Female 5'6"
BF:48%/45%/33%

I was also on Ortho Tri cyclen for a few months and was gaining weight so rapidly I had to stop. The pill is supposed to mimic being pregnant, so it was just a precursor of the weight gain I experienced during my 1st pregnancy (70 lbs!). However, I was not on low carb either time, so I think if you control your carbs, you shouldn't GAIN any weight. However, I think it might make it more difficult to actually lose weight. Hormones are such a powerful factor in weight loss and gain. I, personally, would opt for condoms instead, especially if it's only going to be a year until you start trying again. Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-02-09, 03:46

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 300/251/170 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 38%

Im taking Ocella (generic for Yasmin) - I have been on it for two years and have had no side-effects whatsoever so far.. and Im still losing weight...

(Im on a ton of things thanks to PCOS)