Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 13:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/172.5/175 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 102%

I've been thinking alot about this as well lately. I have a friend I've known forever whom I always "aspired" to...She was always healthy looking, not skinny just fit. She was strong, had stamina and strength. I set my original goal at 175 and then adjusted it to 160. I'm down to 172 right now and finally asked her what her measurements and weight are....it turns out that although I weigh 14 pounds more than she does we're the same height and my measurements are smaller than hers. I think it finally sunk in that I'm "there" already. Now I just have to complete wrapping my head around that!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-09, 07:33

Plan: atkins modified
Stats: 225/162/160 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 97%

I'm so glad I found this thread. i had a goal weight of 160 set. I'm at 174 today, and I think I'm going to set 170 as my goal. It still sounds like alot to me, but I've had 3 people today tell me not to lose anymore weight, and I'm pretty sure my boyfriend doesn't want me to lose anymore. My 10's fit loose now, and alot of 8's fit. I'm scared to death to move into maintenance, though. I do want to get to 170, but I think 160 will be too thin for my frame (I'm a large boned Scandinavian).

I guess, how do you know? Take the advice of others that insist you are "THIN", though you don't feel it? Or keep going, knowing in your heart you'll probably never feel good enough or thin enough. I like being a bit curvy. It's a quandry.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Oct-03-09, 13:54

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Just wasting time this afternoon and I happened upon this thread (yes, i realize it is an older thread). It is funny because I just sat down with myself and had a really long & hard talk.
Along my journey I stalled out at 145 lbs. Just about the time that I shrugged my shoulders and said ok, wll 145 isn't too bad, I can live with that my weight slid down to 135. I weigh daily and I'd run anywhere from 132 to 137, but never really any higher or lower. Had a tummy tuck and still maintained for a year.
BAM!!!! My weight shot up to 140. Some people said it was muscle. Others said not to worry about it. Others were totally unsympathetic as it seemed petty those 5 lbs (and to someone who has more than 100 lbs to lose it does seem petty), but to me they were HUGE! I much preferred maintaining to gaining, but I still had my goal set to 125.

I recently hit 135 again! A miracle, I'm sure. I changed my stats and called 135 my goal. My pant size varies, as does every other womans, but I wear between a 4 and an 8 on the bottom. Medium or large shirts. I'll take it. This has been a weird and wacky journey. Now if I can just continue to maintain this.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Oct-03-09, 14:26
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromom
Just wasting time this afternoon and I happened upon this thread (yes, i realize it is an older thread). It is funny because I just sat down with myself and had a really long & hard talk.
Along my journey I stalled out at 145 lbs. Just about the time that I shrugged my shoulders and said ok, wll 145 isn't too bad, I can live with that my weight slid down to 135. I weigh daily and I'd run anywhere from 132 to 137, but never really any higher or lower. Had a tummy tuck and still maintained for a year.
BAM!!!! My weight shot up to 140. Some people said it was muscle. Others said not to worry about it. Others were totally unsympathetic as it seemed petty those 5 lbs (and to someone who has more than 100 lbs to lose it does seem petty), but to me they were HUGE! I much preferred maintaining to gaining, but I still had my goal set to 125.

I recently hit 135 again! A miracle, I'm sure. I changed my stats and called 135 my goal. My pant size varies, as does every other womans, but I wear between a 4 and an 8 on the bottom. Medium or large shirts. I'll take it. This has been a weird and wacky journey. Now if I can just continue to maintain this.

Yayyy! Good for you!!

and Congrats on making your GOAL!!!!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-09, 11:34
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi Camaro-
this was really good for me to see. (I love finding old posts too.)
I have been at 125 for over 5 years- and gained up to 130 this summer after changing my brand of estrogen and increasing by .1 mg. It is not the 5 lbs that bothers me (as you say, it's not much)- it is the fear that I will just keep gaining in a way that is out of my control and that the WOL I have chosen for the last 6 years will just 'stop working'. I know it does not make sense, and I am not losing sleep over this, but it is a worry in the back of my head. I have been working my plan, and so far the 5 lbs is it- but I also want to stay here or go back to the 125. It is hard to let my body just be -
E
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Oct-04-09, 16:28

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

I actually have nightmares about waking up in the morning and being 205 lbs again. My stats say 187 as that is where my lc journey started, but I was bigger than that. The slippery slope idea is very scary for me. I'm afraid that 5 lbs will turn into 10 lbs or more and then where will I be.

My doctor helped me come up with the goal of 125, but I just don't seem to be able to get there. I kissed 128 back 2 years ago when my dh had double by-pass surgery, but I wasn't eating much of anything and as soon as I started eating "normal" lc, but with regular meals it bounced right back up to 135.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jan-03-10, 23:02
Shrinking Member

Stats: 242/236.8/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:ample
Progress: 6%

My doctor said he wanted me at 141.( I am 5'8"). I have never been below 155 as an adult. So I set my goal at 150 but in my effort to get there I gained 12 pounds. I definately noticed it and didn't like how I am feeling or how my clothes fit ( tight with a belly roll) At between 157 and 160 I felt good but not finished. I tried to maintain at 160 but wasn't able to, I am going to try and get to 155 and keep it within a couple of pounds. P
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 09:57
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty47200
My doctor said he wanted me at 141.( I am 5'8"). I have never been below 155 as an adult. So I set my goal at 150 but in my effort to get there I gained 12 pounds. I definately noticed it and didn't like how I am feeling or how my clothes fit ( tight with a belly roll) At between 157 and 160 I felt good but not finished. I tried to maintain at 160 but wasn't able to, I am going to try and get to 155 and keep it within a couple of pounds. P

Maybe your doctor is wrong about you being 141. Do you have a small frame?

I am also 5'8" and a lot older than you at 59. I was 140 many years ago and unable to maintain it. I chose 160 as my initial goal...and I work to get and stay as close to 150 as I can....that is realistic for me.

I saw that you said you failed at SB....what happened?
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-10, 11:41
Shrinking Member

Stats: 242/236.8/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:ample
Progress: 6%

I am sure I would look my best at 141, I just don't see it being maintainable. I probably have a medium frame. I think 150 is probably "do-able" (I have no idea if that is a real word!)

As for SB I was so disappointed in myself. I think it is a much more balanced way of eating and I really wish I had the self control to stick to it. The first couple of weeks were ok, but when I started eating yoguhrt, dairy and legumes I lost it. I just could not control my eating. I would have approved food in the house and I just could not maintain portion control. I think that is when I started gaining. Then in a panic I went back to Atkins but my portions were very large. I was eating approved low carb food but just too much of it. I would eat too many nuts, too many berries, too much heavy cream, too much cheese.

For me to lose I have to stay under 1300 calories a day and follow the plan. Even if I go to 1500 calories, eat only meat, low carb vegetables, berries, fat (olive oil, salad dressing), and nuts I gain! It is so frustrating to me that I cannot control myself. I guess I am glad that it is food and not alcohol or drugs that I have a problem with. I really feel sorry for people struggling with addictions. I think I am "going" through menopause and that may have something to do with it. I have not had a period since October so I keep thinking "is this it?". I know people have a harder time after menopause, it scares me that I will only be able to eat two bites of chicken and a celery stock to maintain.

I have actually lost weight this week and I feel sooo much better. I would like to try SB again but I think I should wait until I am closer to 150? Just out of curiosity, at 5' 8" and 154 pounds what size or sizes do you wear?
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-10, 10:43
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty47200
I am sure I would look my best at 141, I just don't see it being maintainable. I probably have a medium frame. I think 150 is probably "do-able" (I have no idea if that is a real word!)

As for SB I was so disappointed in myself. I think it is a much more balanced way of eating and I really wish I had the self control to stick to it. The first couple of weeks were ok, but when I started eating yoguhrt, dairy and legumes I lost it. I just could not control my eating. I would have approved food in the house and I just could not maintain portion control. I think that is when I started gaining. Then in a panic I went back to Atkins but my portions were very large. I was eating approved low carb food but just too much of it. I would eat too many nuts, too many berries, too much heavy cream, too much cheese.

For me to lose I have to stay under 1300 calories a day and follow the plan. Even if I go to 1500 calories, eat only meat, low carb vegetables, berries, fat (olive oil, salad dressing), and nuts I gain! It is so frustrating to me that I cannot control myself. I guess I am glad that it is food and not alcohol or drugs that I have a problem with. I really feel sorry for people struggling with addictions. I think I am "going" through menopause and that may have something to do with it. I have not had a period since October so I keep thinking "is this it?". I know people have a harder time after menopause, it scares me that I will only be able to eat two bites of chicken and a celery stock to maintain.

I have actually lost weight this week and I feel sooo much better. I would like to try SB again but I think I should wait until I am closer to 150? Just out of curiosity, at 5' 8" and 154 pounds what size or sizes do you wear?

OMG.....I can't believe that I just saw this post from 1/4....I'm very sorry.
Menopause will be official for you when you don't have a period for 1 full year.
As for you being unable to practice portion control on foods you added back in when you followed SB......I wish that there was some secret to share with you....but I can only tell you to keep working at getting your head wrapped around this issue. Practicing portion control in general, has been key to my long term maintenance.
I also think that when we include all these foods from the stgart, that its does not become an issue when we eat them back in simply because we haven't been missing them.
I recall the first time I realized I could have split pea soup on SB and made a pot. It was so good that I couldn't stop eating it ...made myself a bit sick from too much of it. So I do think that this is what happens in many cases.

Many think that if you eat a food and can't stop, that it means you have an intolerance/allergy to that food. That can be true but not for all of us.

My size? I am a medium on top, 8-10.....and at best, size 10 on the bottom as that is where my fat is stored, hips, thighs and butt....very big!! I may need a size 12 bottom depending on the cut.

I hope that you are OK and doing well....please come back soon and update.