Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-19-12, 11:00
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

I got a great deal on Amazon for Bob's Red Mill Golden Flax Meal ($13.16 for FOUR 1-pound bags. I pay nearly that for 1 at my local grocery) and tried these.
It was surprisingly good and easy, especially sliced in half and toasted, as other posters have recommended. But I was surprised at the calories when I put the ingredients into Fitday. 400 for 1 bun! Add a slab of butter to each toasted half, and you're at 600 calories. That's a big chunk of the day's calorie budget. At only 1.5 net carbs and all the other healthy fat goodness of flax, plus 12g of protein, plus how quick and easy it is to make, I was hoping this could become a regular menu item for me, but at those calories, I will need to budget for it.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 04:25

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamsel
I don't use a microwave, but would really like to try this. Any ideas if I could bake it in the oven and for approximately how long? Think if would turn out ok?

Thanks,
Pam

I made a batch in the oven a few days ago and think I did them for too long as they turned out quite firm (almost hard but with a little "give").

I took them with me anyway when I visited my sister and used two halves as replacements for a burger bun at McDonalds and they were really quite good and didn't disintegrate on me like my usual ones do if not toasted beforehand.

So I will make them this way again to use when travelling!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-12, 09:38

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
But I was surprised at the calories when I put the ingredients into Fitday. 400 for 1 bun! Add a slab of butter to each toasted half, and you're at 600 calories. That's a big chunk of the day's calorie budget. At only 1.5 net carbs and all the other healthy fat goodness of flax, plus 12g of protein, plus how quick and easy it is to make, I was hoping this could become a regular menu item for me, but at those calories, I will need to budget for it.

MizKitty - I was thinking the same thing, but what about just having one half at a time? and have your burger or sandwich open-faced?

Also, I saw that Elizellen makes hers with half the flax and fat, I think I might try it her way and see what happens.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-12, 19:38

Plan: HCG Diet
Stats: 215.5/191.1/155 Female 177cm
BF:Human twinkie
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
I made a batch in the oven a few days ago and think I did them for too long as they turned out quite firm (almost hard but with a little "give").

I took them with me anyway when I visited my sister and used two halves as replacements for a burger bun at McDonalds and they were really quite good and didn't disintegrate on me like my usual ones do if not toasted beforehand.

So I will make them this way again to use when travelling!

Ooh, thank you Elizellen, another great tip... I'll give this a go.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 10:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/220/180 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

I've been tinkering with this recipe and its ingredients, because the first one tasted like a microwave egg with some grains in it. It is an issue I have with several faux-bread recipes I've tried, where it is more egg than bread. The most recent attempt was more successful, here's what I changed:

I pre-grind my flax meal in a spice grinder/coffee grinder until it is extremely fine. It is a little oily, so it clumps a little while grinding, but that doesn't really matter. Right out of the bag, flax meal is too coarse and it barely absorbed the egg/butter mixture at all, which led to the egg+grain texture of my original attempts at using the recipe. I think this change moved the recipe far along into bread territory, but it turned out a bit dry and dense, so I tweaked it a bit more.

1 tbsp less flax meal
1/4 tsp more baking powder
Heavily beat egg/butter/baking powder mixture before mixing in flax. I also try to whip the finished mixture up quite a bit to get some air in it.

I think I may try doing something to get even more air into the mix, but these minor changes (grinding the flax meal into powder in particular) really helped the texture. Also, something in the mix has an 'edge' to it, a sort of metallic feel on my tongue. I'm not too familiar with flax, so I don't know if it is the flax or the baking powder. If it is the powder, I may just use some sort of normal flour in place of some of the extra baking powder. In such small quantities it is only a gram or two of added carbs.

Anyway, the modified recipe becomes:

1 egg
3/4 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp melted butter
salt/spices to taste
3 tbsp flax meal, ground into a fine powder

Beat liquid ingredients with baking powder until foamy and a bit airy. Add flax and mix well. Microwave for one minute. I really like the convenience of whipping it up in the microwave, and the end result is surprisingly bread-like. Thanks to the original poster.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 19:59

Plan: Atkins (old plan)
Stats: 272/225/165 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

can u use almond flour instead? just wondering?
  #22   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 20:11

Stats: 280/219/145 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 45%

Flax meal is ground flax seeds.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 20:11

Stats: 280/219/145 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 45%

If you spread these really thin on a square of parchment paper then cook in the microwave, they make great wraps
  #24   ^
Old Fri, May-18-12, 10:52

BF:

Good to know, LC4good!
  #25   ^
Old Sun, May-20-12, 16:47

Plan: HCG Diet
Stats: 215.5/191.1/155 Female 177cm
BF:Human twinkie
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdallas
can u use almond flour instead? just wondering?

Hey Mark, I'm sure you could - I just find the texture a little too coarse for this recipe.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, May-21-12, 09:15

Plan: Ultra Metabolism
Stats: 215/200/123 Female 5' 2.5"
BF:
Progress:

What's the best way to store these if don't want to freeze them?
  #27   ^
Old Mon, May-21-12, 10:53

BF:

I just keep mine in an airtight container in the fridge. I have been away for a few days without a fridge but kept them in a cool spot and they lasted OK.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, May-21-12, 23:24

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Velcerick, flour and baking powder are not interchangeable. Baking powder is a leavening agent so if you leave it out your bread will be very heavy!

markdallas, I like to use half almond flour and half flax meal, or sometimes even 1/3 of each plus 1/3 whey protein powder. I have a small tub of the latter mixed up in my cupboard ready for baking! All I have to add is baking powder, egg, and any other liquid or spices I decide to use.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, May-23-12, 05:02

Plan: Ultra Metabolism
Stats: 215/200/123 Female 5' 2.5"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
I just keep mine in an airtight container in the fridge. I have been away for a few days without a fridge but kept them in a cool spot and they lasted OK.

Thanks for the info!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jul-18-12, 04:58

BF:

I just made it in a 4" square container - once cut it makes 3 slices of "normal looking" bread!!