This is loosely based on this recipe from KetoConnect
. Their recipe did not work for me, or a lot of other folks according to the comments section. It basically made strange scrambled egg whites. The reason was obvious to me - there's nothing in the recipe to be a binder. So, I tried it again with a few fixes, and it worked much better. To be fair to the KetoConnect crew, there seems to be huge variations in the properties of different brands and batches of coconut flour - that's probably why it didn't work for me. What I'm using here is from Bulk Barn in Canada.
Makes 2 tortillas
2 whole eggs + 6 egg whites
1/3 cup coconut flour (45 g)
approx. 1/2 c water
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1 Tbsp psyllium husk powder
optional: garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, etc to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Combine ingredients, preferably with an electric mixer or blender.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes or so to thicken. Batter should be fairly thin, like a crepe batter. Add more water if necessary.
- Pour onto two parchment-lined cookie sheets, turning to form 2 circles.
- Bake for 12 min, flip, bake for another 4 min.
- Alternatively, they can be fried in a skillet, but in my experiment, the baked tortillas were more flexible.
- Recommended but not necessary: allow to cool partially folded to prevent breaking/tearing.
Per tortilla, not including optional spices: 227 calories, 8 g fat, 19 g carb - 12 g fiber = 7 net, 21 g protein
These make a nice breakfast wrap with your leftover egg yolks, scrambled, and some cheese. I grilled this one.
I may come back and edit this if I experiment further.