Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 19:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Question 2 questions from the uninformed

Background:

I started Atkins about 3 weeks ago & saw myself in alot of symptons he talks about in the Yeast chapter. That led me to this forum where I took the Candida quiz and read through some of the posts.

Question #1:

None of my symptoms are related to the digestive tract, they are all skin/upper respiratory. Does this mean it probably isn't Candide? Or could my lack of digestive symptoms have to do with the fact that the antibiotics I've been on since the fall are ear drops? (OK, sorry, that was 2 questions, but I did score high on the befuddleness questions)

Question #2:

If I try to get rid of my symptoms by following the yeast-centered advice, can I do it with diet alone? I have barely enough money right now to buy food, let alone buy supplements. Am I wasting my time if I do the diet alone?

TIA for any input,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 15:15

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II IS-BOAG
Stats: 174/155/120 Female 5'2"
BF:34%
Progress: 35%
Default one answer

i have no answer for question #1 as i am not qualified to respond. very few doctors have info about yeast except for rx that do not treat the problem only medicate the symptoms. before world war 2 - candida and yeast were unknown. it was upon the advent of the antibiotic that we discovered the problem. for many years there was no cure. doctors still do not know much about candida. we know sugar increases the problem.

however for Q#2 - i can give a little info - dr. A. does say that he has patients that follow the yeast free food guidelines and are successful. he mentions a patient that followed the guidlelines and 2 weeks later started losing weight.

i believe very very strongly in an over the counter product that kills yeast/candida. it is called grapefruit seed extract. it is not costly for the treatment. one $10.00 bottle from a health food store will cure you and you'll have plenty leftover. it can be used for many other things. i understand about the cash flow - i am in similar boat right now--but i would not be without my grapefruit seed extract.

good luck - ally
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 15:20
Registered Member

Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Hi hate to cook

Hey we are from the same neck of the woods! I don't know a whole lot about this candida thing. I am suffering from digestive troubles myself and I think it's from too much yeast. Have you checked out this at the top of the thread
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=15803
It has tons of links and you might find the answers your looking for there. I've been on Atkins for 8weeks now. I find the more natural my diet the better I feel. Good luck! Ellen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 15:25
Registered Member

Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default ally

That's my daughter's name too! What were your symptoms for yeast? Thanks Ellen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 15:08

Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Ally & Ellen,

Thanks so much for your responses! I guess I'll have to read up some more. I always thought of yeast infections as the usual cheesy discharge kind of thing.

In the meantime, I'll try the grapefruit seed extract & try to figure out how to make homemade yogurt-- I'm sure there'll be something out there on that.

Thanks again & I'll keep you posted!