Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 10:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Main Difference between Atkins and Protein Power?

Hi,

I have been noticing that most of the dieters on this GREAT web site are on either Atkins or Protein Power or both!

Can someone tell me what the main difference is between the 2 diets? Or are they exactly the same?

I have the Dr. ATkins book, but don't know much about the Protein Power book.

I am curious ! I am trying to decide which of the low carb diets to begin the first of the year.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jo Ann in TEXAS trying to decide which one to choose
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 11:11

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

From memory only, so take this with a grain of salt:

Protein Power Phase I - 30 g carb, subtracting fibre

Atkins Induction - 20 g carb, not subtracting fibre

PP: minimum protein requirements, based on size, sex, and activity level

Atkins: none

PP on fat: advocates consumption of unsaturated fats and focuses somewhat on eiconsanoids

Atkins: no suggestions on fat

PP: strongly advocates weightlifting

Atkins: encourages exercise such as walking

HTH
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 11:11

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Joanne - check out the low carb comparisons link on the right hand side of the screen.
Some of the differences I've found are that PP doesn't put caffeine off limits - (as long as it doesn't effect your weight loss). PP also starts you out at a higher carb count, I think it is 30 as opposed to Atkins' 20. But, if you followed Atkins' OWL, within a couple of weeks you would be at the PP 30 grams of carb per day. Both plans allow you to deduct fiber from carb counts.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 12:37

Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I went from Atkins to Protein Power and, for me, there were two big differences: Protein Power MAKES you eat a certain amount of protein per meal. for me, it's quite high -- 6 ounces. (It's based on weight, height and gender.) Why does this matter? Because, on Atkins, it was NOT eating carbs that was the emphasis. So you could have a low protein meal. One of mine, when I was in the "I can't stand meat anymore!" phase was to saute zucchini slices and cover them with mozzarella cheese. I miss that on Protein Power.

On the other hand (in addition to what's already been said) Protein Power allows more carbs. I THINK we got a raise up to 40 a day in the new book (Protein Power Lifetime Plan). There's no Ongoing Weight Loss Program and no Induction. You do the same thing from day one to goal. AND you are allowed small amounts of fruit. You just can't go over 10 carbs in a meal.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 15:47

BF:
Smile Thanks for your replies!

Hi Razzle , Atriana, and Alto

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my questiond concerning the differences between Atkins and PP.

What I might do is.....do the Atkins for the first 2 weeks, strickly, then begin doing the Protein Power. Do ya'll think that might work ok?

Also, how do you subtract for Fiber? If something has 7 grms of carbs and 1 gram of Fiber..........it really only has 6 grams of Carbs. Is that correct?????

Thank you!
Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 16:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/168/145
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Jo Ann,
I have read all three books (atkins, PP and PP lifeplan) and I think that protein power explains everything much, much better in terms of the science aspect of things. I also think that the PP books explain more clearly how to really implement this lifestyle on a daily basis. I just found the PP books to be more reader-friendly and accessible, so I would advise that you read them even if you do eventually decide to go Atkins.
Susan
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 16:11

BF:
Default Reading up on the diets!

Hi Susan,
Yes, I am reading everything I can get my hands on. However, I don't basically understand the medical scientific information found in any of the books. The main thing is that most people's blood work improves drastically after being on a low carb diet! Why? I couldn't tell you and really don't care, if I can get my blood work to look good! Don't you agree?

Could you explain the subracting for Fiber? I am not sure what that means?

Have you read the book "How I Got Off of My Low Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds! by Dana Carpender. I have been told by several people it is one of the best down to earth low carb diet books. However, the library doesn't have it. It is on Amazon........you might want to check it out there. There is about 9 samples pages for you to read there. I think you will enjoy it.

Thanks again for your response!

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 16:36

BF:

If an item has a total carb count of 7grams and lists fiber as 2 grams that item has an effective carb count (ECC) of 5 grams, (7-2=5)This is the number you use.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 16:46

BF:
Thumbs up Fiber count

Hi Atriana,

Thank you so much for that information! That is coming from the Protein Power book. Right? I didn't remember the Atkins allowing that? So, I will take advantage of the foods with more fiber.

Thanks!
Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 17:41

BF:

Actually it comes from both books. PP makes a big point about subtracting the fiber. The DANDR book has one paragraph. In the paperback version it is on page 285. The newly released Atkins book makes a bigger deal about subtracting the fiber. In fact the recipes at the back of the new one give you a total carb count along with a "digestible" carb count. The digestible is total - fiber.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 19:53

BF:

Hello Atriana.........

That is good information concerning that the Fiber is helpful in lowering the count of the carbohydrates!

Thanks so much for informing me!

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 01:28

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

One of the reasons that I've stuck with Atkins rather than change over to PP after hearing that fruit was allowed is that I'm afraid that fruit will set off cravings for me. I used to eat 6-8 fruits a day (BeforeLC). Fruit was my sugar fix. I have absolutely NO cravings on Atkins and this is for the first time in my adult life.

I think that there is a relationship between having difficulties with cravings and doing other than Atkins.

Just MHO.

Marlaine
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 08:52

BF:
Default Atkins VS Protein Power

Hi Marlaine,

My weaknesses are the BREADS, CRACKERS, PASTAS, those kind of carbs. The fruit would not bother me, I don't think.

How long have you been on the Atkins? Do you get tired of the same foods? Or are you able to be creative?

I was on it for about 2 1/2 months and I must say I did fine while I was on it, but the minute I felt I was off of it.............I ate every loaf of bread I could get my hands on. THAT IS MY BIGGEST FEAR! I DON'T WANT TO DO THAT AGAIN!

Does anyone have suggestions to keep me from doing this again?

Those who are maintaining their weight............are you sticking with the maintenance program in the book? I pray I will be able to do that this time.

Any suggestions that I can get my mind set that I will not follow the same pattern which I did before, will be very much appreciative!!! HELP!

Thank you for your responses!
Jo Ann in TEXAS scared to try again!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 11:17

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Don't be scared!

Quote:
Originally posted by JoAnnAtkin
How long have you been on the Atkins? Do you get tired of the same foods? Or are you able to be creative?

I've been doing Atkins since September 12, 2001. Yes, I have times that I'm tired of what I'm eating and then I usually realize that I've been eating the same thing over and over so I go looking through the recipes here for inspiration. I have 'easy' meals that I do and I have meals that require more work and preparation. Some days I just want to grab food and run and others I want sit down meals with a place mat and the whole nine yards. Yes, I think the secret is taking time to be creative and remembering most important of all: <b> I'm worth it. </b>

If you take the time to read through some journals in the forum, you will find lots of success stories. Every lifestyle change and every pound off count as successes. Don't wait for goal weight to call yourself a success!!

Marlaine
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 11:52

BF:
Smile Thanks Marlaine

You are so right! I am worth it and I must tell myself that!

Marlaine, have you had a doctor approve this diet for you?

Mine said NO WAY ! When I told him I wanted to go on the low carb. So, it does concern me.

Do you have any thoughts or have you heard anyone say that their doctor actually recommended them to go on the LOW CARB WOE ?

Your comments, as well as anyone else who might read this post, will be very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Jo Ann in TEXAS