Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#796   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 17:55

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
This is the one that kills me, since my sleep is HORRIBLE and has been most of my life, since I was a teenager at any rate - take hours to get to sleep, toss and turn - finally drop off, but then wake up 2-3 times during the night and toss and turn getting back to sleep then too. Yet I can't *make* myself sleep better! I've tried every natural remedy I have ever read about and now I'm trying accupuncture! So far no results there either.

Yet last week I was up in New Brunswick, Canada for a little over a week, and for whatever reason I slept like a baby just about every single night up there. And I came home 2.5 pounds lighter than when I had gone up, even though I ate like a pig while I was up there, including gorging on cheese every day, since the local store sells a local cheddar made on Prince Edward Island that is my favorite cheese.

Now I'm back home, and tossing and turning every night again, and have gained back 4 pounds this week despite eating "better" than I did in Canada.

Sounds like it's directly related to stress.

Patrick
Sponsored Links
  #797   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 18:04

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Yet last week I was up in New Brunswick, Canada for a little over a week, and for whatever reason I slept like a baby just about every single night up there. And I came home 2.5 pounds lighter ...

Now I'm back home, and tossing and turning every night again...
Wow that does sound environmental. What exactly is different in Canada versus home, outside of food?
  #798   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 20:40

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
Wow that does sound environmental. What exactly is different in Canada versus home, outside of food?
Hard to say since I have been an insomniac for 40+ years, so "home" conditions have varied widely over that time!
  #799   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-10, 15:46

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Stress affects my sleeping patterns also. I've been so stressed with the client conferences I'm coordinating for this week that last night was the third night in a row I've woke up at 1:00 am and not been able to get back to sleep until 4:00. Not good when you have to get up at 5:00.

The last conference is tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers for a good night's sleep TOMORROW night, at least!
  #800   ^
Old Thu, Nov-11-10, 17:04

Plan: no bread or fructose
Stats: 186/180/160 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Thumbs up Bless you for this information, Carolyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC
Not for me. I have the insomnia, but I don't have the allergy.

I slept well last night! A full 8 hours with no trouble falling asleep. I feel so much better. I was getting so exhausted before.

I took my last pill of millk thistle of Saturday morning at 8:00 AM and I finally slept well again on Sunday night. My Fitday diary shows that I stopped sleeping well on the second night of the 6-Week Cure. So, for me, the milk thistle took some time to "wear in" and "wear off."

I'm throwing the partially used bottle of milk thistle in the trash. I'm done with weeks 1 and 2 and those were the only ones where we were supposed to take it anyway.

This past week, I've been going crazy, no longer able to fall into a deep sleep, even with double benadryl AND xanax!! This horrible insomnia and (at best) half-sleep state has been worrying and exhausting me.

I googled everything new I was taking along with "insomnia" and came across your postings. It was like "Eureka!!! That's IT!!!"

This past week I've been taking 700 mg of milk thistle every day as a "liver cleanse". And like you, it took 24 hours for my insomnia to kick in, so I didn't associate the milk thistle with the sleeplessness. I also had no overt allergic reactions to it.

Soy protein (and oddly, melatonin too) does the same thing to me, and it had also taken me a while to realize that soy that was keeping me from deep sleep. This past week, I've actually been trying to figure out what "hidden soy" I might now be consuming that could be doing this to me, not realizing until I read your postings that it had to be the MILK THISTLE!!!

Last night, 24 hours after my last milk thistle dose, I fell into the first deep sleep I've had in four days. So, like you too, I'm throwing the rest of these capsules in the trash. After googling coffee and liver, I find that coffee apparently has more proven benefits to the liver than milk thistle, and its waking effects wear off within a few hours in my case.

Last edited by Arcturus : Fri, Nov-12-10 at 07:40.