Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 10:21
Registered Member

Plan: 40-30-30
Stats: 232/164/170 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default Interesting new research about coffee...

check out this article today from CNN about coffee (link below)

According to the researchers, they have found that various properties of coffee actually result in an increase in the body's ability to metabolize sugar and hence in the long term, can help prevent the onset of Type 2 diabetes. Anybody who understands the body chemistry of all of this know how this would relate to coffee producing an insulin "spike" in some people? Maybe I'm not understanding it properly, but this research seems to contradict what we're being told about staying away from coffee when LCing. Somebody help explain!

http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/cond...reut/index.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 11:09
Registered Member

Plan: Adaptive
Stats: 220/220/155
BF:N/A
Progress: 0%
Default Not a health Professional

I am no Physician, but it sounds like it could help fight the insulin spike, but I think we are told to avoid the coffee because of the dieretic (sp?) properties and that it is a stimulant, creating hunger pains.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 17:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Protein Power and some other LC plans *do* permit coffee. Atkins advises against it, at least during induction, because it *may* cause an insulin response in some people, and because you're encouraged to break your 'addictions' while on induction. How does this study relate to LCing? It's hard to say, because the researchers themselves were at a loss to explain their results.

Very interesting, though.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 19:48

Plan: TSP-II
Stats: 169/175/175
BF:
Progress: 100%

According to Dr. Schwarzbein - Caffeine is a drug that keeps adrenaline around longer. Caffeine blocks the breakdown of adrenaline. Page 75
Adrenaline is a using up hormone (catabolic)
Insulin is a building hormone (anabolic)..
As a consequence you are using up more biochemicals than you are rebuilding. Page 152
Ultimately you will burn out your adrenals and screw up your metabolism.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 04:24
Registered Member

Plan: Life without bread
Stats: 200/175/170
BF:
Progress: 83%

Do you think this is true? Should we all avoid caffene? I have no problem with this, especially if what you say is true? Is there evidence of what you say or is it just a theory?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 14:54
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I drink coffee on a daily basis. I do not have diabetes. Therefore, my research shows coffee DEFINATELY prevents diabetes. I'd like to thank my sponsors - Starbucks and the American Dairy Association (cream!) for making this research possible.

(better switch to decaf!)
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 11:53

Plan: low Carb..sim to atkins
Stats: 200/155/145 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 82%

One thing I CANNOT and WILL NOT give up is coffee. I love it, besides if I don't drink it I get shooting headaches.