Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 12:01

Plan: low cal,less pro. atkins
Stats: 138/130/118 Female 179 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default A Few Basics

Hello Protein Power people.
I never even knew there was a diet that centered itself around protein. I was brought to LCing thanks to DR. Atkins. The Atkins diet seems to work very well for people that I know in RL like, my mom, my aunt, people that had needed to lose at least 20-40 pounds.
On the other hand, I am not overweight. I am not underweight either. But I still want to lose around 10 pounds and Atkins is not working for my metabolism. I had a slow thyroid, and my doctor that treats the problem for me said to eat high protein. I asked him about fat, and he said I didn't have to add fat to anything. Just eat my normal high protein, low carb and unprocessed foods.
WELL, I have been trying to transition from Atkins to High protein, lower fat. He doesn't mean for me to restrict my fat to 0 or low. He meant for me to not add a hunk of butter to my eggs or eat a handful of nuts. The only fat he told me to eat was in a salad with olive oil poured over it for dinner. He said I can;'t eat too much protein. Now, this diet he advised for me...is it similar to protein power? Low Carb, very moderate fat, very high protein?
I just wondered if I can be informed a little about the breakdown of this diet because if there are similarities between the reccomendations of his plan and PP, I am going to follow it. BTW, he does belief in Low Carb and Atkins, even suggesting for some people to follow the Atkins for Life cookbook. However for me he seemd to think I should be doing hte high protein.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 12:40

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsve
Now, this diet he advised for me...is it similar to protein power? Low Carb, very moderate fat, very high protein?
Not really, Tsve. Protein Power is an adequate protein diet, similar to Atkins. Carbs are somewhat higher to a lot higher depending on the phase you are in. Fat is your primary fuel, however. There is a brief review of the plan on the right, in the margin, under the link "Which low carb plan is right for me?". The Eades' also have a website with an FAQ at www.eatprotein.com

-Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 13:20

Plan: fat, fat, fat
Stats: 225/212/160 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Nat, I agree that PP is an "adequate" protein diet, but we need to bear in mind that for many people, switching to this diet actually does involve a significant increase in their protein intake. <g> So, for them, it may seem like a "high protein" diet. Tsve, you might want to check the PP Lifeplan book out from the library (I found it easier to follow than the first book, although that one is great, too) and see what you think. If possible, see if your doc would be willing to read the book, too, so you could ask him if this is what you need to be doing.

How great that your doctor is open to the LC diet!

BTW, Nat, I notice from your stats that you're at goal -- good for you! I'm happy for you. How long have you been at your goal weight?

Lene'
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 13:36

BF:

Lene, you're correct in that those coming to PP from say, Atkins, the protein does increase, somewhat. The focus certainly does increase - figuring out minimal protein requirements and ensureing you eat them with each meal is definitely new (and a great idea).

I wanted to ensure that Tsve understood that PP is not about eating only protein, however. I know what type of diet her doctor would put her on from reading other posts, and the problems she has been having with rebound weight gain and thyroid issues.

As for being at goal, you know I don't really know? Sometime this Spring I think. I would like to lower the old BF a little more, just to say 'I did it', but I'm taking a 'time out' right now and enjoying the summer (and the stress of buying a new house and selling the old one).

Cheers,
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 14:29

BF:

Great idea to take a little time out, not just to enjoy the summer and allow for as little stress as possible with the move (good luck on that! LOL Been there... <g>) but also to just give your body a chance to more or less settle into itself for a while before tackling your next "project" of shooting for a bit more BF loss. I'm sure when you decide the time is right to work on that again, you'll have success with it.

I ran across a thread today that you had posted to quite some time ago, about body brushing and T-Tapp. Intrigued me, so I went to the website and printed off as many of her exercises as I could. I already have a nice natural bristle body brush that I use in the shower -- will start brushing *before* I shower now. Sounds like a good idea, and I expect I'll see results in my skin, if nothing else. Do you still do the T-Tapp thing? (I just got back from the gym, having joined last week, and ache all over in a good way. <g> But if the Tapp moves work well, I may just add them to the best of what I'm doing now.)

Lene' (off to scrub myself with the brush, then stand under a warm shower for a few hours <g>)
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 15:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene
Do you still do the T-Tapp thing? (I just got back from the gym, having joined last week, and ache all over in a good way. <g> But if the Tapp moves work well, I may just add them to the best of what I'm doing now.)
Ah the old T-Tapp threads I must admit I let those fall by the wayside. It was just taking up too much time in the mornings - with getting up at 5:15 to do a.m. cardio the idea of getting up any earlier to brush was rather unpleasant. I did enjoy it while I was doing it, but really didn't do it long enough to notice any results. It did leave my skin soft though.

-N
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 10:56

BF:

Sorry for the delay responding. I like your kitty -- a new one in just the past couple days, isn't it?

I do like the brushing thing, too, for the way it makes my skin feel, but have to admit, I'll probably not be assiduous about keeping up with it. Heck, I have this Jergen's lotion that is supposed to make hair grow in finer and help you shave less often, and it does work -- I found that out by using it twice daily for a few months. But I fell out of the habit, and darned if I can make myself spend the few extra minutes in the morning after I shower, and before bed. LOL Why those few extra minutes seem like a hassle, I don't know, but it doesn't bode well for the continuation of the brushing thing, does it? <g>

On a totally unrelated note, hubby was *craving* donuts this morning, so went and bought a box. He and my son ate them, and I successfully restrained myself til they left the house. I walked out to the kitchen to get a fresh cup of coffee and found the half-full box on the table. Yikes! Grabbed it and threw it in the freezer, like pitching a rattlesnake into a barrel and slamming a lid on it. LOL If not for my quick reflexes, those donuts might have gotten me. <g>

Lene' (figuring the donuts must've "gotten" me somewhat, anyway, or I wouldn't be thinking of 'em as I sit at the computer typing...)
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 16:44

BF:

Lene, frozen donuts are awful - you wouldn't want 'em anyway And yes, this is a new cat, Maxwell AKA She Who Rules The House With A Wicked Left Hook.

So the Jergens does work? Interesting. I may have to try that - I moisturize as it is, so it shouldn't add too much time to the morning ritual!

N
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 10:14

BF:

lol, thanks you two for information about protein.
Lene, my dad likes krispy kreme brand doughnuts and he always buys more when he runs out. he is nice enough to keep them in his room though, so I only see the box when it's empty in the trash can.
I wonder why my dad can eat doughnuts all the time and not get fat... -_-
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 17:30

BF:

Nat, I got a good chuckle from your kitty's name -- we have 2 cats and a Sheltie dog, all of whom make life much more enjoyable. <g> And after you've had a couple months or so to test the Jergens, let me know if it works for ya. I see there are a few other brands now that make that same claim, using other ingredients. I've been curious about how well they work, too.

Tsve, may I resent your dad, in a kind way, of course? <g> Seriously, I do know some folk who can eat like that with no apparent ill effects, and I envy them, but I'm also happy for 'em. Just hope they won't eat their donuts in front of me. (Like my hubby and son did recently, blast them. <g>)

Lene'
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 18:53

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 152/152/142
BF:28.4%/28.4%/22%
Progress: 0%
Default Tsve protein/thyroid

greetings, Tsve,

wow! our situations are so similar that i just had to respond by telling you what is working for me.

i, too, am slightly overweight with some thyroid issues (actually caused by mercury toxicity in my body.)

i read TSP books and bought both cookbooks. i tried that WOE and gained 6 or 7 pounds. when i started TSP WOE, i had only about 7 pounds to lose, so when i shot up so quickly, my purpose was defeated.

then i started checking out the PP forum. i had tried that WOE last summer and again gained weight. this summer i bought the eades' new cookbook and their 30-day diet book. i lost a few pounds, but i certainly wasn't losing nearly fast enough to make the 8-16 pound weight loss for women that they suggested would be the case.

this past winter i read "the metabolic typing diet." from that book, i determined that i was a true protein type, and through kinesiology, i determined that my body requires 41% protein, 41% fat, and 28% carbs in the form of low glycemic fruits and veggies.

in the past month since dedicating myself to finally losing those now 14 pounds, i have eaten some tuna (watching the mercury!), orange roughy, lean beef, chicken without the skin, lean pork, eggs, ground flax seeds, F/F cottage cheese, some green veggies, little fruit, at least half a gallon of water daily, and blended drinks made with protein powder with either diet rite cola or sodium free seltzer. i add VERY little fat to my food.

i realize this may sound spartan to some; it would have to me, too, just a few weeks ago! however, i have zero cravings, have not "cheated", have maintained a good energy level, and have lost 8.5 pounds in about a month.

i think this proves just how individualized we all are; what works for some may not work for others. i plan to continue this "specialized" WOE until i lose 6-7 more pounds, then i will slowly add more carbs in the way of veggies and fruit.

i hope there is something in this message that will aid you on your weigh, ooops, i mean way!

best wishes!
curly locks
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 22:17

BF:

very interesting curly locks. Just today I bought the Protein Power Book and I am just beginning to read it.
I am ignoring this doctor because I do not think he understands true low-carb eating. He can treat my thyroid, since it's working, but he told me I would b in ketosis eating his diet. I tested myself all the time and I wasn't, so I switched to atkins. It hasn't even been 24 hours and I am in the trace stage of ketosis. I may be at least burning dietary fat, but I know if my thyroid is working normal again I will soon see results with Atkins. I am still interested in the knowledge of PP, so I am looking forward to reading that book this week.

lene, tonight my dad must have been out of doughnuts because he ate 1 nestlee drumstick cone and an entire package of minature almond joy lunch size candy bars. I think there are like 12 in those packs.
I don't even want to know what he eats at work, but I do know that they're always stopping along to get hotdogs with the works on them. he eats strange things though, like pickeled herrings, those pigs feet in jars, kielbasa is always in our refridgerator. my dad is austrian though
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 08:32

BF:

Oh, my... drumstick cones. <sigh> Love 'em. LOL If I lived with your dad, I'd have to wear dark glasses all the time to obscure my vision so I wouldn't see what he was eating. <g>

Pickled herring and pig's feet? I'd definitely want to not see those, either! But kielbasa and sauerkraut I love.

Let us know what you think of the PP book, and how it compares to what you've been doing.

Lene'