Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-07, 19:18

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 135/135/105 Female 61" (5'-1")
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default starting an exercise program

Hello

Just starting on Atkins tomorrow - it's been ages since I've exercised regularly - so much so that I've forgotten how to make it part of my routine. So I think I'll start small - and try for a 30-45 min walk each day.

I don't really have any questions - but could use the support
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-07, 22:42

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

Welcome and good luck!

What sort of exercise are you planning to incorporate? There seem to be a good number of walkers, cyclists, runners, and weight lifters around here; and general gym rats, as well (stepping forward ).

I'd love to know more about your plan for a vegetarian approach to Atkins.

Cheers--
Terry-24
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 07:00
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Good luck. I have a hard time staying on the exercise wagon. Do you face any particular challenges with respect to exercise? Injuries, time constraints, boredom ( ) ?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 07:19

BF:

the hard thing is keeping to any program - i usually get accustomed to whatever i pick.... problem is that i'm over booked timewise - so if i pick something that i have to travel to - rather than just step out doors - forget about it.....

thought i'd just start with walking/running. there's a gym about 16 blocks away - so if i can run to it - maybe i can check out the weight room

i think i do better when i mix things up a bit - both from boredom and because it's better when i build up strength in multiple areas
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 07:20

BF:

oh..... the veggie atkins thing... well - today is day 1, and i thought i'd do a mexican theme - so huevos mexicana for bf, lettuce/avocado/tomato salad for lunch, chili rellenos (stuffed with tofu instead of cheese) for dinner, and a cheese snack and a little costa rican cabbage snack (cabbage & radishes i think). how does that sound? i think i can cook each one in under 20 mins - so it seems like fun

portion control will be hard - so i've picked out bowls that are exactly 1 cup and 1/2 cup so i don't have to do the measuring thing (thats so depressing)

i thought that i would have a different ethnic theme each day - chinese, italian, mediterranean, indian, organic and so on.... it might make it fun, and build my own recipe book.... i've just started, so i'm only focusing on induction at this time..... that's really tough from what i've heard
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 09:34

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

If you can afford it, I'd suggest working with a trainer at least twice a week. A trainer can give you suggestions, and help you 'mix it up' so you don't get bored. I resisted using a trainer until June, and I've gotten the best results so far from a combo of weight lifting, high intensity-short duration cardio (HIIT), and yoga and pilates. I have the attention span of a flea so making sure that I have variety is what keeps me on the exercise wagon, along with a trainer to guide me and keep me motivated. I've lost 20 lbs. and close to 30 inches since June.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-07, 09:20
Forum Moderator

BF:

I like to keep things mixed up, too. I take the opposite approach from a lot of people: some find that commitment to a gym membership, club or class is motivating. I prefer going solo at home - to me, that keeps it in the realm of "fun" and "voluntary", rather than an obligation or chore.

I like killing two birds by walking and cycling where I have to go, anyway. The cycling often saves me time and bus fare.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Aug-26-07 at 09:25.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-07, 18:21

BF:

kristine

this weekend, did the same as you - I did a couple of brisk 1/2 hour walks each day, and then walked everywhere. this am though, i dragged myself out of bed and went for a half hour run. i was very winded - but glad that i did it! \

i am on an out of town work thing today, and know i'll be on my feet all day tomorrow - so next exercise day will be wednesday - i think i'll try running again, but pick a different route - to keep it interesting!

eventually it will all count, right?

i live in a big city, but ironically all the gyms are located only in certain neighborhoods - nothing where i live, so i will end up having to take a bus to go to a gym, or driving ( and the irony of that tought drives ME nuts), so right now i'm trying to get as many morning walks/runs in before it gets too cold and dark. i thought i'd buy a pilates dvd for some variety and overall strength.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 07:02
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmay
eventually it will all count, right?
Absolutely!
Quote:
i live in a big city, but ironically all the gyms are located only in certain neighborhoods - nothing where i live, so i will end up having to take a bus to go to a gym, or driving ( and the irony of that tought drives ME nuts)

Me too! I had a perpetually-broke friend who drove everywhere, including the gym.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-07, 18:13

BF:

hi all - i'm going to be out of town for a few days - any tips on exercising on the road? I can see walking a lot, and maybe a run or two, but how does one introduce the subject of one's own needs and schedule - to people who might not share ?

On the same note - how are others planning on keeping on the exercise wagon over the labor day weekend?