Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-22, 13:22

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Low carb weight loss programme proving a success

I came across this initiative, which is being rolled out across an area near to where I live. It's so great to see how low carb is really starting to take hold in the UK in this way.

Quote:
Weight loss programme to be rolled out in mid-Essex surgeries

A WEIGHT loss programme is set to rolled out across mid-Essex after one health centre recorded patients losing more than a metric tonne in weight.

Patients at Freshwell Health Centre in Finchingfield lost the weight after following a low carb weight loss programme run by GPs at the surgery.

The programme has been so successful that it has now been rolled out to the whole of the Colne Valley Primary Care Network.

This includes surgeries in Earls Colne, Coggeshall, Halstead, Finchingfield, the Hedinghams, Kelvedon and Feering.

Dr Ronan Fenton, system medical director for Mid and South Essex Health and Care Partnership, said: “In mid and south Essex, we want to ensure that as many people as possible live healthy fulfilled lives without needing health and care input.

“However, when they do need help, it’s there in the best way possible within the resource available.

“That way people live longer, and the Health and Care System lasts longer.

“The Colne Valley Low Carb Programme is a great example of local healthcare teams listening to and working with their local citizens to do exactly that - well done.”

The programme was devised by doctors Dr David Oliver and Dr Kim Andrews, alongside fellow GPs from Freshwell Health Centre.

It is hoped the programme, which is free to patients with a BMI of more than 25 register at the PCN’s surgeries, will tackle obesity which is associated with many diseases including type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease and some types of cancer, such as breast cancer and bowel cancer, as well as stroke.

It can also lead to mental health conditions affecting the quality of life.

Dr Oliver said: “We know that excess weight can often lead to serious long-term conditions and with 63 per cent of Essex adults currently overweight or obese. This emerging crisis needs to be tackled before it becomes more critical.”

Programme participant, Viv Hamilton, said: “I was obese for 20 years and now I’ve lost five-and-a-half stone over 15 months.

“I feel great and I don’t get arthritis pain in my knee anymore. Low carb isn’t like traditional quick fix diets, it’s a lifestyle change that actually works and keeps working and for me it’s easier to stick to as my meals are delicious and I’m not starving myself.”

Programme results at 12 weeks show that 94 per cent of participants lost weight, with 60 per cent achieving greater than 5 per cent of their body weight loss, an average of 6kg per patient.

Freshwell Health Centre has also reduced its diabetes drug spend by £12,000 in the last year.

The programme also offers one-to-one telephone coaching sessions, up to six sessions over 12 weeks, to help people to focus on achieving their goals.

For more information, visit lowcarb freshwell.co.uk or colnevalleypcn.nhs.uk.

https://www.braintreeandwithamtimes...ssex-surgeries/

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-22, 03:02
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

This is excellent. At first, I thought this was going to be another article about the Unwins, so it's great to see other physicians coming to this conclusion, too.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-22, 04:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
"it’s easier to stick to as my meals are delicious and I’m not starving myself"

Why I've stuck with it since 2003!

When a person is ahead of the curve, everything seems deadly slow.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-22, 05:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

How very cool. This program uses both Dr Unwin's diet and incorporates Dr Mosley's fasting and lower carb approach. I thought Dr. Unwin's program is supported by the Royal College of GPs, this one page diet linked here doesn’t mention it? They also have a FB page to join for support, and share other resources.

https://freshwell.co.uk/info.aspx?p=9

And related to nothing LC, mid-Essex was one of my favorite areas. A friend lived in Witham and we would bicycle around on the weekends. More recently, my husband's company Europe base was in Braintree. So for days on end our daughter and I would explore the surrounding countryside, I have photos of DD at age 12 feeding the ducks in Finchingfield, and those other villages as well. Thanks for the memories
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-22, 05:49

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Why is it that the UK is supporting low-carb while the US turns a blind eye?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-22, 08:01

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Good question, Benay. I don't know much about UK politics, but in the US, corporate lobbyists hold extreme sway over food policies issuing from the government. And here's where corporate interests lie:

There's no money in fresh, whole foods--meat, vegetables, and fruits. It's processed foods--breakfast cereal, "energy bars," frozen pizza, and all forms of pasta and pastry, etc.--that make big bucks for manufacturers. For that matter, the fast food industry and the restaurant industry have no interest in supporting large-scale changes in the perception of weight management on behalf of the population who struggle with it.

Finally, pharmaceutical companies are working on expensive drug interventions. Why would they fund studies showing that low-carbohydrate nutrition works all by itself most of the time??

As in most issues of vital concern: follow the money.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-22, 10:04

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
“The Colne Valley Low Carb Programme is a great example of local healthcare teams listening to and working with their local citizens to do exactly that - well done.”

The programme was devised by doctors Dr David Oliver and Dr Kim Andrews, alongside fellow GPs from Freshwell Health Centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Why is it that the UK is supporting low-carb while the US turns a blind eye?

This is a local healthcare initiative, possibly inspired by others who are taking this approach, like Dr. Unwin. It's not something formally endorsed by government healthcare at the national level. In fact, we do have this in the United States, but it requires some research to find the providers. In addition, because of the rampant and contentious debates regarding what is considered healthy nutrition, the practices offering a low carb approach are often camouflaged by the overwhelming arguments in the media. Dr. Mark Cucuzella (who is one of my doctors), Dr. Jeff Gerber, Dr. Eric Westman, and others have spearheaded practices that emphasize lifestyle treatment. There are now a host of other GPs who support and endorse low carb health approaches. They are not often publicized, as this is still a controversial approach and medical centers like Langone, who sponsor Doctor Radio on Sirius/XM seem to like to control the narrative. However, in a recent program on Doctor Radio, I heard some very sound advice being given for one who had been given a diagnosis of pre-diabetes. The question was "do I have any chance in beating this and getting rid of the symptoms?" The advice was to cut out carbs and all things with sugar as a first step, and yes, it can be controlled and eliminated. This is encouraging, however, to Benay's point, we still have a long way to go. But it's happening, and there are medical professionals today that can function as partners in one's lifestyle adaptation program to achieve better health through low carb.

I'm very happy to see this local activity in the UK, and I sincerely hope we see much more of it around the world.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-22, 11:36

BF:

In the UK the state saves money keeping people healthy.

In the US it's pretty much the opposite.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-22, 05:47

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

How many years is it now since Atkins published his book?
And the powers that be refuse to let go of their mantra that a low fat high carbohydrate diet - lots and lots of grains - is a healthy diet which all American should follow.
I suspect there is a lot of money at stake which is why our dietary directives do not change.
Money drives everything
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-22, 05:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
How many years is it now since Atkins published his book?
And the powers that be refuse to let go of their mantra that a low fat high carbohydrate diet - lots and lots of grains - is a healthy diet which all American should follow.
I suspect there is a lot of money at stake which is why our dietary directives do not change.
Money drives everything

While that is certainly a factor, we also have the metric tons of scientists who put their careers on the hearthealthywholegrains bandwagon. They won't admit to a wrong path that has tortured and killed so many, can they?

They have been pointing to people who can maintain their health that way, or at least they can in their youth. It "works" for THESE people! Then we are the ones at fault for not being able to digest wheat

The book Death by Food Pyramid didn't get enough notice for its game-changing acknowledgement that we are all bundles of different digestion enzymes, and that's where we should start with a healthy diet. It was a major influence in me trying to drop all plant matter from my own diet. Which worked wonderfully.

So what we have now in too much of our US science, at least, is how this makes such rigid thinkers good careerists... but very bad scientists.