Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-09, 07:26

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 130.8/128.4/115 Female 5'3"
BF:22.8%
Progress: 15%

Thanks All! There are some great ideas here. Glad to hear about the protein shakes. I like mine with ice, a few berries (not till phase 2) and ff milk. Fills me up longer.

Of course I am starting over on phase 1 next week so it'll have to get back to making my crustless quiche, which i could eat an entire pie pan of! ha.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 05:55

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 179/179/145 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I was just looking at some of my south beach diet cookbooks.
There was a Phase 2 recipe using sugar free/ non fat strawberry yogurt.
So I guess once we get to phase 2 as long as there is no sugar etc , we are good to go.

Good thing , because yesterday I made a mocha smoothy for breakfast using plain yogurt , eeeeeeeewwwwww.

I had to put it back in the blender & add more splenda , the recipe has just called for 2 tbsp of sugar free chocolate syrup......and it just was not enough.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-09, 07:21
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaD10
I was just looking at some of my south beach diet cookbooks.
There was a Phase 2 recipe using sugar free/ non fat strawberry yogurt.
So I guess once we get to phase 2 as long as there is no sugar etc , we are good to go.

Good one to figure out!!
I know that I too, have figured out things that I didn't know before and as I worked my way through, things became more clear to me.

I can now use the Sugar Free jams by Smuckers/boysenberry to add into my carb and sugar control vanilla yogurt in the morning.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 07:34
Registered Member

Stats: 175/176/140 Female 64
BF:29%
Progress: -3%

How long do you stay on phase 1? I need to get my book, but I was just wondering?
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 08:55
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by napanda
How long do you stay on phase 1? I need to get my book, but I was just wondering?

2 weeks for most of us. Just a little longer for those with more than 100 lbs to lose but not more than 4 weeks total.

I am now in maintenance and still use all the phases(floating between the phases) to manage my weight. 3 days of phase I is enough for me to get my weight down a couple of pounds.

Yes, the book is a very good idea!! In the mean time, you can find our food lists and meal plan charts at the start of the April check in thread.

Good Luck!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-08-09, 09:00
Registered Member

Stats: 175/176/140 Female 64
BF:29%
Progress: -3%

Thanks Judy! I have just come off of 2 months on Atkins and am frustrated by the lack of losses! I really stuck to it too...maybe my system just needs SOME carbs...
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-09, 20:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 231/223/170 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Almond Milk

Hi All-

Love SB! Ending week 1 and was doing well 'til Easter. Did great with the food, made a cheesecake that I used to make on Atkins, all SB legal, artichoke hearts that I bake and used parm cheese in place of bread crumbs for the topping, BUT, drank 3 glasss of red wine at dinner. So that day was blown but moving on...
Really struggling with creamer in my coffee. That fake half and half is gross and only 2 tbsp is even worse. Skim milk in coffee is disgusting and so is soy milk. Blehk!
I have almond milk (unsweetened vanilla) which is actually quite good in the coffee, adds a nice nutty taste.
Can't find any info on it though and if it's SB legal and what is it? A fat?
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-09, 20:07
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by napanda
Thanks Judy! I have just come off of 2 months on Atkins and am frustrated by the lack of losses! I really stuck to it too...maybe my system just needs SOME carbs...

I lost 50 on Atkins and pretty much lived on Induction for way too long. As soon as I moved into Ongoing Weight Loss I started gaining. It took 5 years, but I gained 38 of the 50 back so here I am. I have tried everything else-Sugar Busters, Eat to Live, Fat Smash. I don't do well on plans where I can eat everything. I know I have serious sugar/glycemic issues and I know what foods hit my blood sugar like a truck and send me spinning into a binge. I need a plan that moderates, allows me all food groups and I like the idea of minimal time on SB Phase 1. It makes sense. You cannot eliminate food groups and not expect it to screw up your system. Although my cardiologist advocates eliminating grains altogether. He likes SB but doesn't see the need for grains. Me either but I do miss the whole grains.
We'll see how it goes as I have not lost on any of the other plans and even gained on one. I did do Atkins again last summer and lost 12 but couldn't stay on it. Then I quit smoking so 8 came back.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-09, 23:09
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by missru
Hi All-

Love SB! Ending week 1 and was doing well 'til Easter. Did great with the food, made a cheesecake that I used to make on Atkins, all SB legal, artichoke hearts that I bake and used parm cheese in place of bread crumbs for the topping, BUT, drank 3 glasss of red wine at dinner. So that day was blown but moving on...
Really struggling with creamer in my coffee. That fake half and half is gross and only 2 tbsp is even worse. Skim milk in coffee is disgusting and so is soy milk. Blehk!
I have almond milk (unsweetened vanilla) which is actually quite good in the coffee, adds a nice nutty taste.
Can't find any info on it though and if it's SB legal and what is it? A fat?

Hi and Welcome!
Did you find the food lists and meal plans yet? They are located in our daily check in thread. Its best for you to print them up to use as reference.

That wine will send you back a couple of days. I'd start over.
I drink 1 cup of coffe daily, a big mug actually, and I use real half and half in it. I know, not truly legal but I do watch how much I use and keep it to a minimum.
I don't know where the almond milk falls as a food category and will try to find out for you.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Apr-14-09, 23:10
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by missru
I lost 50 on Atkins and pretty much lived on Induction for way too long. As soon as I moved into Ongoing Weight Loss I started gaining. It took 5 years, but I gained 38 of the 50 back so here I am. I have tried everything else-Sugar Busters, Eat to Live, Fat Smash. I don't do well on plans where I can eat everything. I know I have serious sugar/glycemic issues and I know what foods hit my blood sugar like a truck and send me spinning into a binge. I need a plan that moderates, allows me all food groups and I like the idea of minimal time on SB Phase 1. It makes sense. You cannot eliminate food groups and not expect it to screw up your system. Although my cardiologist advocates eliminating grains altogether. He likes SB but doesn't see the need for grains. Me either but I do miss the whole grains.
We'll see how it goes as I have not lost on any of the other plans and even gained on one. I did do Atkins again last summer and lost 12 but couldn't stay on it. Then I quit smoking so 8 came back.

I don't eat a lot of grain either but do enjoy rye Wasas and some oatmeal. I do avoid wheat 99% of the time.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 17:59
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Judy!

I did start over after that wine. LOL.
I did find the food lists thanks, but I have both books too and I haven't found anything on almond milk in either or on the SBD web site. I'm not going to sweat it. If I see I am not losing then maybe I will try something else and see if it makes a difference.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-09, 09:02

Plan: southbeach
Stats: 190/185/150 Female 5'7"
BF:

hey guys is there a protein bar acceptable for phase 1?

#28   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-09, 09:10

Plan: southbeach
Stats: 190/185/150 Female 5'7"
BF:

also girls, if you are going back on induction i have a great drink that you drink all day and it really helps you lose alot of water weight. it has a tablespoon of PURE cranberry juice added to 64 ounce of liquid minimal on the sugar spike . but doesn't seem to effect the southbeach induction phase i have lose 2 lbs. today! you drink it everyday for as long as you like it really keeps the water weight and bloating down the first couple of weeks.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-09, 09:47

Plan: my own lowcarb
Stats: 158/143/130 Female 5'4
BF:notasmuchasidid
Progress: 54%

I just started and I LOVE Southbeach!!!! I really like the idea of the yogurt with sf caramel DaVinci! I'm going to mix that and some slivered almonds for dessert tonite!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-09, 14:13
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by belinda207
hey guys is there a protein bar acceptable for phase 1?

Probably not...but if you would lease list the ingredients, I'll tell you if it is or not.