Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-27-02, 21:08

Plan: NO carbs
Stats: 206/165/165
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default College student on low carb diet

Ok, I started this diet 4 months ago with a goal to get down to 165. I have been heavy most of my life and have also been preparing for time in the armed forces, the two didn't exactly go together. As I was completeing my second year of college and ROTC, I realized I needed to loose the weight pronto instead of waiting longer. So I heard about the low carb high protein diet. I found a co-worker at my part time job who was on it and seemed to be doing well, so I did some research on potential health efects, decided it was worth it and proceeded.

I didn't know much about the diet, or any programs, so I made my own stuff up. I stopped eating anything with carbs in it, except for some cheese and maybe some beef jerky every now and then. Well, with nothing to follow I just hoped it would work. Combined with ROTC PT, I lost it pretty fast. Loosing 30lbs in about 2 months and I was feeling good. After school ended I kept excercising... but not nearly as much as ROTC had me doing - five mile runs at least once a week and plenty of pushups and situps. After loosing the first 25lbs, I had to take the final PT test, the first time I had ever passed it, and actually got a decent score too.

Anyway, school is out, I am working, and just finished my diet 2 days ago. I am now down to my goal of 165 form a high of 206. All it took was 4 months and willpower not to cheat. The only time I did cheat was during an ROTC Field Training Excercise, in which MRE's made up most of the meals, so no carbs was practically impossible. But I reached my goal, feel good, and plan on keeping it off. I am eating normal agian, allthough I will avoid excessive amounts of carbs. But I feel this diet was well worth it. Good luck to everyone.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 05:50
Registered Member

Plan: TKD,CKD,atkin,bodyop
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress:

You have done good jop with your diet

if you want to increess fat lose

limit your protein intake 60-70 day
because the EXSESS protein will contervit to glucose

Protein convert to glucose by %56
Carb convert to glucose by 100%
Fat will not convert to glucose

also you can add some suplement to incress fat lose
Xenadrine , Hydroxcut or any ECA Stack
L-Glutamin if you feel you craving for suger use it
Multivitamin

try to do more research
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-02, 12:14

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Im a fulltime college student (just finished my 3rd year) and I just started LCing a few days ago, wanted to get on a forum so I could talk to others about the LC diet.. Im so totally craving a Pria Bar right now..(made by powerbar) I was on weight watchers before, which took so long and after my boyfriends food-filled birthday, I gave up on it.. Ive got tons of all this low fat, high fiber food left over from WW, and Im dying to eat it.. Although, I can definitely say I havent had willpower like this since high school, 5-6 years ago.. So anyways.. D, Im impressed with your results..! Take care..
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-02, 12:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%
Smile

Hi Alicia,

I just wanted to respond to your post today because we seem to have quite a few things in common!! Your stats are very similar to mine and so is your goal weight... I really anticipate 140, but was afraid to write it out for some reason! I settled for 150 for now. Today I weighed in at 190. That's a 1, a 9, and a 0 !!!

I am also a full time student and understand the lunch and snack problems on campus, not to mention the stress and the Starbucks, etc. It's sometimes a little tempting, especially when you're new to LC'ing, but I too was a Weight Watcher (several times) and actually took off most of my initial weight with a low fat diet and a walking program. However, my body seemed to fight the low fat regime at every turn, even though I lost 92 pounds on it - and have kept off all but 20, I had constant migraines, polycyctic ovarian syndrome with ALL the side effects, etc. And I really wasn't enjoying my foods in the longrun, even though there are low fat variations of EVERYTHING!!

I know what it's like to have a whole kitchen full of low fat foods and suddenly start lo carbing, but I have to tell you, I will never turn back. This is the most incredible eating plan that actually WORKS for my body and metabolism. I rarely miss the few things I "can't" have because I'm so thrilled about all the great things I could never have before!!

Salami and cheese?? Steak, butter, sour cream, bacon bits, chives? Who needs the potato?

Maybe you can do a ton of cooking and use up everything you have...get rid of all the low fat mayo, fake cheese, etc. and invite people over to eat it up over a movie or something! Give away the rest to family and neighbors, then start fresh with all the rich, REAL stuff that you get to enjoy from now on.

But watch the induction period very closely -- you'll only have to stock a few things for this stage really, mainly eggs, cheese, meats, salad, mayo, etc. And Bottled Water by the CASE!!

BTW, one more common thing... my birth name was Alicia for three days before my grandmother snatched the birth certificate from the nurse and changed it!! My mother wasn't happy, but obviously she got over it. (We're Italian...what can I say?? )

Good luck...stay with it - it works and it's fun!

Donna
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-02, 20:41

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Donna, thats so weird about your name!!! Yeah, my family's Cuban..(well, dads side is, moms side is Hungarian..go figure!) Ive got the fridge stocked!! I just made some sugar free sparkling jello, just in case I cant stand the saltiness anymore.. I just made a 1lb of hamburger and mixed some cheese in..it was incredible..I havent consumed that much red meat in a LONG time! It felt d~mn good. Email or IM me sometime..our stats are very similar.! Take care!!