Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-11, 05:22

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I firmly believe that if MEN went to the doctor with these complaints, they would get results. Doctors seem to almost universally take men seriously, when half the time a woman's gets told it's "all in her head" if the diagnostic answer doesn't leap out immediately.

Of course, men don't help in this instance because they refuse to go to the doctor!

I've been driven to the conclusion that medical doctors are trained to "prescribe the right drug" instead of "fixing the underlying problem." When the problem involves malnutrition (We don't have that in developed countries!) and/or hormone deficiencies (Even when we test for that we don't know what it means!) we just have to do the best we can to diagnose and treat ourselves, with or without them.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-11, 08:00

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

Werebear you just hit the nail on the head!!
My Mom almost died of gangreene because her Doc said she was just a nervous new mother and the pain was in her head.
It was gallbladder. Me? They tried to send me home with mylanta luckily I mentioned the gallbladder and I got mine out before it got so bad.
I'm still lovin the mag!! My hubby and I are very happy. I'm going to try it with my 11 year old who is starting to show signs of depression. (runs on both sides)
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-11, 08:45
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylakala
Werebear you just hit the nail on the head!!
My Mom almost died of gangreene because her Doc said she was just a nervous new mother and the pain was in her head.
It was gallbladder. Me? They tried to send me home with mylanta luckily I mentioned the gallbladder and I got mine out before it got so bad.
I'm still lovin the mag!! My hubby and I are very happy. I'm going to try it with my 11 year old who is starting to show signs of depression. (runs on both sides)

High dose omega 3's are also really good for depression - they really helped me, and when I stop taking them, I start to get worse again.

Lee
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-11, 09:07

BF:

You know I ran out of my fish oil 2 days ago and I feel horrible. I thought maybe its just all the stuff going on. but its been the same stuff for a long time. I think I need to make another trip to the store. I gotta function for family and school.
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-11, 13:32

Plan: Atkins/Primal
Stats: 189/161/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Still taking my mag and D3 religiously for the last 4 or 5 months and have never felt better!

No more heart palps, normal bp, am finally 'regular' for the first time in my life, emotions are stable, virtually no cramps with TOM, more energy and positivity, no leg cramps anymore....I am so pleased with the results!

Taking these supps with a lc wol has made me a very happy woman!!
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-11, 01:21

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default try to get hold of Carolyn Dean's book if possible!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylakala
Oh anyone know how much someone with fibromyalgia should take?? My Mom has it.

Hi there,

I'll try to find time to get back to you in more detail later (life is busy right now with end-of-term parties all over the place), but basically, someone with fibromyalgia should take the same amount as anyone else dealing with a deficiency: if you try to take more than the body can absorb at any one time, then the Mg will just get excreted, which is such a waste of the good stuff!!!

I don't know what kind of diet she has (which would make a small difference, if she already eats a lot of Mg-rich foods), but the standard recommendation is to start off easy on the Mg, take it between meals and work upwards to about 400-600mg per day.

As usual, I would recommend the Dr's Best High Absorption Magnesium from iherb.com, but the Bluebonnet also seems quite popular (you get 200mg per tablet with that, rather than just 100mg as with the Dr's Best).

If you can get hold of this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Magnesium-Mir...10368698&sr=1-1

if necessary, from your local library, that would be great!!! There's a whole chapter which deals with how to treat fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome with magnesium and other methods.

It would take me ages to quote everything and I really don't have time right now, I'm afraid... Sorry...

Hope this helps,

amanda
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-11, 01:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezil
Still taking my mag and D3 religiously for the last 4 or 5 months and have never felt better!

No more heart palps, normal bp, am finally 'regular' for the first time in my life, emotions are stable, virtually no cramps with TOM, more energy and positivity, no leg cramps anymore....I am so pleased with the results!

Taking these supps with a lc wol has made me a very happy woman!!

I am soooooo glad to hear this!!!

amanda
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-11, 01:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karhys
I've a question about magnesium, and this seems the place so I hope you all don't mind! I've been doing a lot of reading about supplements in the last few months, particularly magnesium and vitamin D, since I seem to suffer a lot of the symptoms of deficiency.

I've noticed that most people here take it in capsule form, and I see the Doctor's Best recommended fairly regularly.

Does anyone use the powdered forms that are mixed with water, like the following? Is there any advantage to one over the other, or is it largely personal preference?
http://www.iherb.com/Source-Natural...00-g/17273?at=0
http://www.iherb.com/Pure-Essence-I...342-g/3197?at=0

I started out with magnesium citrate in capsule form (sorry, I've forgotten the brand) but taking the capsules always made me feel ill to the stomach afterwards, regardless of whether it was with food or completely separate from a meal.

I recently switched to the powdered form (the 'Magnesium Serene' I linked above) and I've found it a lot better, with no ill feelings. It seems to calm my tinnitus as well when I drink it (which is usually exacerbated by sugar or sweeteners) which is something I never noticed with the capsules either.

Anyway, I just thought I'd ask as I'm still learning about all this stuff!

Hi there,

Sorry that it's taken so long to get back to you!!!

I have never tried these powdered forms as I have now finally found a brand and type of magnesium - the Dr's Best High Absorption - that works for me and doesn't cause D problems.

However, I think it is probably a question of personal preference and stomach sensitivity: if you have the feeling that your symptoms become less noticeable after taking this powdered stuff for a while, then it would seem that it works for you.

I might try it for my youngest daughter who is only 10 and can't handle swallowing capsules yet.

Thanks for the tip!

Keep us posted about whether your worst symptoms subside or not.

amanda
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-11, 04:44

BF:

Awesome Amanda Thanks!! I'm sure I can get the book!!
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 05:51

Plan: NANY
Stats: 330/281/170 Female 64.5 inches
BF:Mostly Fried Foods
Progress: 31%

I can't WAIT to feel sparkly!! I think my husband will definitely benefit from this too. The Doctor's Best High Absorption 200mg/ 240 tabs is about $13 on Amazon using their Subscribe & Save option.

I learn so much here!! Thanks for all of the valuable information on Mg.

Last edited by cakepro : Thu, Aug-11-11 at 05:57.
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 07:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakepro
I can't WAIT to feel sparkly!! I think my husband will definitely benefit from this too. The Doctor's Best High Absorption 200mg/ 240 tabs is about $13 on Amazon using their Subscribe & Save option.

I learn so much here!! Thanks for all of the valuable information on Mg.

I sure have, too!!!

The "sparkly" feeling can't be guaranteed, but I hope you will at least notice within a few weeks or so that you start to feel a lot calmer and less inclined to get irritable over nothing. That's what magnesium has done for me!!!

I wish I'd had it when my eldest daughter was a kindergarten kid, though, jeez, I used to get so mad with her over the stupidest things... And would scream and yell at her... Now I would be able to laugh such behaviour off - thanks to magnesium... Oh well, I can't rewrite history...

amanda
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 10:13

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default "sparkly" update

Now that my system is settling in, I don't get the "sparkly" feeling in such a pronounced way.

But my system now absorbs it without a blink. I sometimes take a third one (250 mg chelated magnesium) in the afternoon, and that goes by without a problem, too.

It's my understanding that I should continue to add until I get a bit of a laxative effect, and then back off? This is the body's way of giving me feedback over how much I'm getting?

I did check this list:

Top Ten Magnesium Foods

And I'm okay on the almonds, and I do get some chocolate in now and then. Since that's IT, I think I should go for 3 a day.

Last edited by WereBear : Fri, Aug-12-11 at 04:53.
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 01:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
I sure have, too!!!

The "sparkly" feeling can't be guaranteed, but I hope you will at least notice within a few weeks or so that you start to feel a lot calmer and less inclined to get irritable over nothing.
amanda

Well, I have three teenagers so feeling calmer and less inclined toward irritability will be MUCH more valuable over feeling sparkly! I thought the "sparkly" description was so funny because my husband calls me Sparklepops all the time.

I told my husband about Mg and he told me that earlier this year, he quit taking it because it caused his heart to skip beats. He probably wasn't taking chelated Mg but rather some form found at Wal-Mart. I sure hope this doesn't happen to him again!
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 02:52

(Oops, duplicate post)
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Aug-13-11, 18:39

Plan: Body For Life
Stats: 178/172/148 Male 5"7
BF:
Progress:

The only magnesium intake I get is in my daily multivitamin. If the effects of taking an added dose is that noticeable I think I'll try it out.