Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 13:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/206/165 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%
Question What is your modified plan like?

I'm just curious, I know some people do modified plans. Would anybody be willing to share what their plan is like and how it differs from the "base" plan (ie, Atkins, Sugarbusters, Somersizing, etc...) and also your past experiences with the base plan and why you decided to modify. And finally, how well has it worked for you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 18:22

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 350/305/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

I'm just sticking to around 25-30 carbs a day, and drinking as much water as possible.

I have found the simpler I make it, the easier it is for me to stick to it.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 06:58

BF:

nobody else wants to tell about their modified plan???
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 08:42
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

After I finished induction, I decided it was silly to be so strict with green veggies, and that nobody ever got fat off spinach. I limited my "other carbs" (nuts, splenda, cheese, sf candy, etc) to 10g a day, and ate all the approved veggies I wanted. I really like veggies, so "as much as I want" was a pretty sizable amount -- anywhere between 15 and 30 net carbs per day of veggies alone, for a total net of 25-40g. It worked out really well, because veggie carbs are lower-glycemic-index and have less effect on your blood sugar/insulin (and correspondingly on your weight) than the same carb amount of other foods. It's important to remember that a carb isn't just a carb, and that some carb sources are much better than others.

I should point out that this modification actually does fit under the rules of Atkins OWL, so it's not really that "modified". In a sense, it's stricter than OWL, because I was keeping a pretty tight rein on my non-veggie carbs; and while Atkins encourages you to get carbs primarily from veggies, there's no hard-and-fast rule like I made for myself.

Of course, a lot of people say they're on "modified" Atkins, when what they mean is "I cheat on weekends" or "I've hung on to this one food that I just can't give up.. I don't generally approve of this kind of modification, because it's too easy to fall off the wagon completely when you're already deviating significantly from plan. Others say that they're on "modified" Atkins or "modified" induction, when what they really mean is that they're keeping carbs at about the 20g range, but including non-induction foods like berries and nuts. There's nothing wrong with this approach, although many people are overly reluctant to increase carbs a bit even though it often helps people along. However, I don't really consider that to be too "modified", because that's basically what OWL is.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 13:20

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I basically do Atkins, but I eat carrots.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 15:34
Registered Member

Stats: 201/170/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 51%

I dont really count carbs. I eat lots of meat, eggs, cheese, green veggies. Limited amounts of nuts, low carb foods. If I feel like I am dying for a certain food, I eat a little bit of it (usually it is not as good as I imagined it to be) then get back to my regular diet.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 20:31

Plan: checking out Atkins plan
Stats: 140/128/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

I don't count carbs anymore either. I guess basically my modified plan is..NO flour, NO sugar, NO fast food, NO potatoes, NO rice..

This works pretty well for me, I can live with it. Everyonce in awhile I have a no no that I have been craving...like when we go out . Then I use a carb blocker pill ( don't know if they work or not)

Krispy creams opened a bakery in South Bend...and I'm not even gonna go there I know my limitations

P.S.
I had so many typos in this I had to edit it twice

Last edited by candyluver : Thu, Oct-30-03 at 20:34.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 21:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Good question. I usually wonder that myself when I see "modified" in someone's profile!

A common modification is "I never gave up coffee" or "I drink a lot of Diet Pepsi." (*guilty look on certain moderator's face*) Another is vegetarianism, where someone would need a few more carbs so they can have the slightly-higher-carb meat replacements.

In general, the "good" modifications are those based on knowledge, reading, and "knowing thyself"; and the poor ones come from someone asking him or herself, "what no-no food can I get away with eating?"

Last edited by Kristine : Thu, Oct-30-03 at 21:51.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 22:54

Plan: Fuhrmann
Stats: 248/229.5/170 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I read Atkins, which helped me to understand ketosis. Then i decided if I am going to eat so much fat it should be the right kind. So I read Erasmus. Also figured while I cut out junk carbs, I should cut junk fat, hence cut way back on refined foods so started eating Schwarzbein style foods.

I figured if I eat protein, fat, carbs and fiber all together, I would slow the rate of entry of sugar into the blood. So each meal is balanced as in Schwarzbein and the Zone.

I learned from trial and error that I can handle about 30g carbs per balanced meal and maintain ketosis.

Then I read Enter the Zone and Schwarzbein Principle. I found out that the 30g carbs per meal matches the Schwarzbein recommendation for my 'insulin meter' and activity level. And I found out I was following some key recommendations of these two authors even before I read them.

I am an active person, so the Zone appeals to me. Especially the prospect of breaking my ten year old triathlon and running records.

So my plan comes down to Schwarzbein 'healing' till I get to my goal body composition. Then I will live and maintain at Zone macronutrient ratios but eating Schwarzbein (real) foods
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 06:27

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

About the only modification that I made to my plan so far is that I allow myself some berries and melon when they are in season (Dr. Bernstein doesn't allow fruit on his plan) after testing carefully with my blood sugar meeter and seeing what I could and couldn't handle. I only eat them when they are in season here, though (don't like that stuff that's ripened at 30,000 feet), so it's only for a few months of the year and then only in small 1/2 cup amounts once a day or so.
I also break the rules with having snacks that do have a few carbs (2-3) in them instead of snacking on carb-free things such as proteins. I just "borrow" a few carbs from my lunch or dinner if I feel like I need a snack.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 08:32

BF:

well my plan is basically atkins induction, but i have nuts occasionally, sometimes a berry or 2, coffee maybe twice a week, and a diet coke occasionally but i always stay under 20g carbs/day

the reason i decided to modify the induction is because i knew that if i kept going and denied myself some of the things i enjoy then i wouldn't be as apt to stick with the program.

i also allow myself to have something i am craving once a month or so, cake, ice cream whatever...that helps me to stay focused knowing that i dont have to go for the rest of my life and not have another cupcake
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 18:08

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I was doing a modified Atkins for a while (i.e., counting carbs in everything but veggies) but it still made me feel a little restricted (i'm rebellious by nature, hate counting anything!). Then I read Dana Carpenter's "How I gave up my low-fat diet and lost 40 pounds" and she does what she calls a Basic Low Carb Plan - which means eating the usual lc foods (meat, poultry, fish, cheeses, lc dairy, nuts, veggies) but just not counting the carbs. That's what I do now and I feel awsome. I can't say how much weight I lost yet because I'm trying to keep off the scale (will weigh myself once a month just to keep some record) but I can definately feel that inches have dropped even after only one week back on LCing.

Tam
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 12:23
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins/BFL
Stats: 246/215/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

If I count carbs, it is only a rough approximation. I look at carb content, but I also look at the protein content, to get more bang for my buck (i.e., cottage cheese, which has approx 2-1 advantage, or peanut butter with similar results).

I have started lifting weights again, and the bottom line is that my body needs some carbs in order to maintain exercise and build muscle. On days that I lift, I need more than 20g of carbs.

My modified plan is similar to the others posted...just eat low carb foods and high protein foods. Avoid sugar when possible. If I eat carbs, get my bang for my buck. Eat complex carbs. And I don't deny myself veggies like corn (I have a half-acre garden that produced in excess of 500 ears of corn this Summer, and I ate about an ear a day in season). I stopped drinking alcohol on weekdays, but will indulge on the weekend. And I will usually allow myself a carb-laden meal on the weekend or a special occasion (like Thanksgiving).

To some on this board, my plan is heresy. Whatever....it works for me and that is all that counts.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 22:07

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

My modified plan is a trial and error "what works best for me" kinda thing. I find if I eat to much meat, I dont loose, the same with nuts, cheese, and artificial sweeteners.

My mantra is fresh, whole, natural foods. I keep meat down to 200g lean meat a day, try not to eat to much fat, drink lots of water, and 20-25g carbs a day. When I'm doing this I feel all healthy, like I'm doing my body a favor, making up for past sins . I do the excercise thing, and the water thing, and somehow it all comes together and wonder of wonders, I loose weight!

To me the best thing about LC is not being hungry all the time!