Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 12:34

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default How to Recognize a Stall

It's not uncommon around the forum to see members writing and asking questions about how to break through on a stall. The first thing that needs to be determined is whether or not there is a genuine stall happening. Dr Atkins in the latest edition of DANDR says:

Quote:
If a pause in weight loss is a genuine plateau, I require that it meet the following criteria:

- You have experienced no weight loss or loss of inches for at least four weeks.
-You have not started a new medication, such as hormone therapy, altered your exercise regimen or made any other significant lifestyle change.
-You can take a close look at your eating habits and honestly say that you've adheared to the same healthy, controlled carbohydrate eating plan that has brought you success up to now.

For the majority of us, I suspect that the last criteria is the one that we'll have difficulty saying a resounding YES to. The best way (IMHO) of establishing this is to post daily menus in our journals. You may believe that you are following your LC plan to a "T" but an objective observer may be able to spot something that is the source of your difficulties.

Here are some of the questions you could be asking yourself:

l. Am I eating at least 10-12X my weight in calories?
2. Am I checking and recording all of the carbs I'm eating and eating at least 20g/day?
3. Is there any one (or even several) foods that I'm addicted to or in the habit of eating, even though they are LC Foods?
4. Am I using A/S (artificial sweeteners)?
5. Am I using caffeine? (If not in coffee, in soda pop?)
6. Am I eating the same foods day in day out?
7. Am I eating regularly - at least three meals a day or more and starting the day with a hearty breakfast?
8. Am I drinking adequate quantities of water?
9. Am I using LC versions of High Carb foods?
10. Am I eating foods on the list of "Foods Known to Cause Stalls?" (see:http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=27149 )

Hopefully your answers to these questions will help you define whether you are experiencing a stall or whether your body is simply taking a completely normal pause in weight loss.

Marlaine
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 15:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the summary!

My question right now is "is it possible to stall too early in the program or does it mean I'm doing something wrong?" For example, I'm wondering why I stopped losing after 3 weeks and thinking that I wouldn't plateau for another month at least!

Also, what's the best way to eliminate the problem? Remove one of "cheese/caffeine/sweeteners/whatever common stall food" from your diet for a week and see? Or get rid of everything and slowly add them back?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 16:02

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally posted by delilah
Also, what's the best way to eliminate the problem? Remove one of "cheese/caffeine/sweeteners/whatever common stall food" from your diet for a week and see? Or get rid of everything and slowly add them back?

Delilah....

If you check out the beginning of my journal you can read all of my whines about "stalling" early on as well. Having read tons of posts in the forum now, I see that this is a very very common experience. It's not necessarily something we are doing wrong...it's just our bodies going "Hold on her a minute!!"

I think the best way to overcome the difficulty is to be persistant. Don't quit and don't give up. Yes, removing "cheese/caffeine/sweeteners/whatever common stall food" will be of benefit. I would quit them all and give it at least a week maybe two to clear the system. In that two weeks, you may be rewarded with weight loss. And then you can choose to try adding them back one at a time to see which, if any are effecting you.

Hang in there. You too can get this tweaked to work optimally for you!!

Marlaine
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 19:28

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default You might also try these threads

Two great resources that can be found in the "Hot Links!" thread in the Newbies' Questions forum:

So, You Think You're a Turtle?
Why am I Stalled - from atkinscenter.com

Nat