Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 00:48

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Unhealthy ageing on macrobiotic diet - Madonna reveals how it's done

Hi there!

This is not really a "post" as such, but I couldn't resist sharing this one. I came across this whilst browsing through the Examiner. It's one photo of a slide show of shots taken during Madonna's latest tour.

If I'm not mistaken, Madonna is said to eat a macrobiotic diet (whatever that is exactly, but I'm pretty sure it's more or less vegan and involves a lot of brown rice). Oh, and she takes "supplements", whatever they may be exactly (some probably involve the use of pipes, razor blades and rolled-up 500 dollar bills)...

At any rate, having watched most of this slide show, I conclude that Madonna's diet is not doing a lot for her figure...

Scary, scary, scary stuff. I recommend using these pictures for Halloween decorations.

http://www.examiner.com/Slideshows....lideshowID=1686

amanda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 08:47

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I have the Madonna chicken legs! I think part of this is her body type and part is starving like a gymnast. Macrobiotic is very scary.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 11:37
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Very weird. In some of the photos she looks healthy, and in others she looks like a skeleton in the making. I guess that's what they mean about the importance of camera angles....or something.

--Melissa
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 11:57

BF:

Madonna, I think, is really an apple - she used to have a little pot tummy when she started out. To make the tummy flat, she has to sacrifice everything else and lose too much fat on her arms and legs. I hope this doesn't happen to me - I already have about 0% body fat on my legs as it is.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 12:03

Plan: my own
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Wow. Um...

a) Nobody's body would look good at some of those angles. You must be kidding. She doesn't look bad at all to me.

b) As for her diet, unless you eat with her every day you have no idea what she eats. C'mon, every celeb site gives another version. I bet she changes it for each interview. I didn't, BTW, see any brown rice or veganism... rather lots of fish, berries, eggs, and some sort of weird-ass cereal.

c) Would any person in their right mind take alleged celebrity diets as evidence of anything? If she said she ate low-carb would you stop? Because she looks so horrible, or would you suddenly think she looks good?

I hope all the women here who are almost fifty will post photos of themselves in the same outfit, showing how much better than Madonna they look, so we can "conclude" stuff about macrobiotics. This is a hoot.

Last edited by Bexicon : Wed, Oct-08-08 at 12:10.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 12:06

Plan: Zone
Stats: 205/212/150 Male 5' 9"
BF:34/26/12
Progress: -13%
Question

I don't get it, she looks like she has about 5% or less bodyfat but how is that bad? She is 51 years old and seems to be quite toned up probably due to working out but how exactly is having low bodyfat supposed to be unhealthy? The amount of muscle on her bones isn't that bad either--she has a decent amount of flesh.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 12:10

Plan: general lowcarb
Stats: 247/149/120 Female 5ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%

I think its some of the angles myself.. Some of the pics she looks fabolous! Her body looks nice and toned.You can tell she spends alot of time in the gym or with a personal trainer. As far as her diet, to each their own..
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 14:01
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

The woman is 51 and ripped. If you don't like looking at images of ripped women then you'll think she looks awful. If you like images of ripped women then you'll think she looks great.

I *so* agree with Bexicon.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 14:08

BF:

Yeah, I think it is a matter of taste. I still like the old pudgy Madonna of the 80's with her bustier and funky outfits. She was definitely not ripped then.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Me, too, Janine. My opinion, she was a very beautiful woman then. Still nice looking, but I definitely prefer the old look. But, as it isn't my body...
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 14:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
Me, too, Janine. My opinion, she was a very beautiful woman then. Still nice looking, but I definitely prefer the old look. But, as it isn't my body...

I see my body in her body and it feels scary skinny, I gues. My legs are looking like hers now at 187 pounds - can't imagine what they'll look like after 50 more lost. They have those weird hollowed out muscles. Oh well, I always get compliments - people don't realize they are so muscular because of hauling around so much weight and so lean because all the fat is in my tummy.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 15:33
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

Well I could look worse than that anyway that is why I'm happy when I get to the top of my weight range, if I go too low I get scary looking and my brothers tell my folks they think I'm on drugs. so I try to maintain where I look and feel the best.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 19:34

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

She doesn't have the type of body that *I* find attractive for a female...but she is in fabulous shape.

My personal wish is that she would cover her arms a little more. Then again, people probably say that about ME! LOL!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 20:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/157/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:?/24.7%/22%
Progress: 33%

I have to say I think she looks a little strange. There are some seriously strange shapes to her legs. I didn't think her arms looked bad until the one with her arm over her head. It's like parts are super toned and parts are still fatty. I suppose I would still trade her body for mine tho. I'll bet she's worked hard to look this way. I'm 50 and I'm pretty sure there are bits and pieces on my body that are never going to look great again no matter how much I exercise or lose. I think Cher looked a lot better when she turned 50.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-08, 20:30

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

You're right, she was (is) prolly an apple. Apples do horribly on vegan diets as a rule; it's harder to lose the tummy fat with all those grains in one's system, even while the rest of the body is losing. So her arms are super ripped but her tummy is not. It looks disproportional.

Her legs look weird from a front angle but nice from the side, IMO. All things considered she still looks better than most women in their fifties.