Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 17:07

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
I agree with "eat less, move more" recommendation - if you change WHAT you eat you will likely eat LESS. avoid GPS (grains, potatoes, sucrose) if you're interested in losing weight is what I think

"eat less, move more" is not a goal, it is something, like a side effect, of changing something else, namely, avoiding sugar. At least it works that way for me.

Wisdom at its finest. I never counted calories when I first started serious low carb, as I'm just a simple person, so keeping it simple fits my personality. Strangely, as I became fat adapted, I developed a "full" switch (or regained it is probably the most accurate statement) that made me want to stop eating during a meal. Once I realized I had a signal that was accurate when I could eat no more, it reinforced my simple approach. I like the "side effect" term, as that "full switch" came about after I had some history eating the foods that best fit what for me is a healthy diet. Desire to increase physical activity came next, and I now look forward to it. Another side effect of eating correctly? You bet. Does physical activity (movement) improve my health? You bet. Is physical activity critical for weight loss? No.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 18:54

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Let me see if I have this right:

Quote:
Mechanick recommends minimizing your intake of two types of carbs – sugars and starches – while boosting another: fiber. High-fiber foods, including vegetables,low-glycemic index fruits, beans and nuts, are instrumental to a healthy eating pattern, he said.

Quote:
Malik urges people trying to lose weight to target foods such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables and nuts

So... minimize your intake of sugars and starches by eating lots of whole grains (85% or more of calories from starch), and fruit (up to 90% of calories from sugars).

Be sure to strictly limit meats (0% sugars and starches) and fats (0% sugars and starches) in order to minimize your sugar and starch consumption.

Oh and of course you can have nuts, because they have lots of fiber! (No, no, no, ignore the fact that nuts have fats! It's meats that have too many fats! Nuts are gooood for you - they give you fiber, lots and lots of fiber!)

Yep, that's certainly the very best way to minimize foods that are high in sugars, starches, and fats. You'll be fiiiiiine!

/sarcasm off
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-20, 05:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Looking at the book from the bariatric surgeon that Demi posts:

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=483396

Why We Eat So Much, Amazon suggested something called Volumetrics, which is like the Noom app I reviewed here:

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=483150

I remember getting the simultaneous advice to use smaller plates for portion control, and eat a lot of stuff like celery "because fiber makes you feel full."

No. No, it didn't.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-20, 20:44

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I remember getting the simultaneous advice to use smaller plates for portion control, and eat a lot of stuff like celery "because fiber makes you feel full."

No. No, it didn't.
I remember trying to eat the high-fiber, low-calorie stuff that was touted to make you feel full and my stomach would feel full but I was still very hungry. Not an enjoyable effect.