Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-10, 09:53
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%
Default R U maintaining a 100 lbs or more loss? How is it effecting you?

Are you maintaining a 100 lbs or more loss? How is it effecting you?

I went through a lot of emotions when I first got to my goal weight and began my maintenance journey. People were acting differently to me, many friends acted in odd ways....family also.

What has been your experience with this?

I do not mean to exclude others with smaller weight losses...but when you lose more than 100 lbs, you really do look like a very different person.
Many people truly did not know me any longer and would pass by me in the street with no recognition at all. So please try to understand this aspect of this topic.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-10, 12:09

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Judy, I wonder if the topic you are looking for is people who were fat who are now normal weight, rather than pounds lost. I know that losing from 285 to 185 did not make me unrecognizable nor was it particularly shocking-looking - I kind of looked the same and still very soft around the edges. I think the singularity of your experience is that you were very heavy and now you are normal weight and thin. That would be harder for most people to wrap their heads around, I think, than simply lots of weight lost. I have not had this experience but I can imagine how hard it must be. If I were to suddenly turn up 140 pounds, that would be a complete and radical transformation.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-10, 17:09

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

I kind of agree with post #2.

I am down 130+ pounds, but still close to 200 pounds above what is "normal" for my size.

People sometimes ask if I have lost weight, others do not seem to notice. I think the people that see me everyday are less likely to notice because it is pretty gradual.

People I have not seen in a while seem to notice it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-10, 18:18
Attitude is a Choice

Yes, I see where you are both coming from.
I am coming from the place of having lost enough weight to make it to my goal aka ideal weight, not still be overweight and then maintain and not be in weight loss mode.

Sorry for the confusion.

I started this thread here in maintenance because of bloodroses post in the TDC and didn't want to post it in there just because of this type of confusion.

My entire look changed so much when I got to an ideal weight for me, that it really did alter the way people treated me and reacted to me.
I'm looking for others who have had a similar experience having made it to their ideal weight having lost over 100 lbs..
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-10, 20:18

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Yes, I see where you are both coming from.
I am coming from the place of having lost enough weight to make it to my goal aka ideal weight, not still be overweight and then maintain and not be in weight loss mode.

Sorry for the confusion.

I started this thread here in maintenance because of bloodroses post in the TDC and didn't want to post it in there just because of this type of confusion.

My entire look changed so much when I got to an ideal weight for me, that it really did alter the way people treated me and reacted to me.
I'm looking for others who have had a similar experience having made it to their ideal weight having lost over 100 lbs..

I understood what you meant completely . I thought I'd post to bump your thread because it's such an important topic and to help clarify what I thought you were getting at. I don't think there are many folks in your position, but there are some. I hope they can help out - maybe Bloodroses will pipe in.

ETA: Big smilies - I meant to add them when I wrote it - it sounds unfriendly without them and I was meaning to say I was trying to help you out.

Last edited by jschwab : Mon, Dec-13-10 at 22:28.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-13-10, 22:58
Attitude is a Choice

Thanks Janine!!
I appreciate your support....and understanding!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-11, 11:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

bumping this thread
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-11, 13:29
Attitude is a Choice