Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-05, 19:56

Plan: PSMF (from Veg Atkins)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:BMI 41.8/29.6/23.5
Progress: 73%
Default Arguments FOR Vegetarianism

I was talking to a co-worker the other day about being a veggie. She is also a veg, but for religious purposes, whereas I am for ethical and environmental concerns. Another (quite rude) co-worker interrupted us and said, "well, those turkeys wouldn't even have been alive if we weren't going to eat them. They are bred for us" She was referring to the recent Thanksgiving in Canada.

I just retorted, "yah, bred to live in cruel conditions and then killed, that's a nice life."

What do you guys usually say when confronted with the common question of why we are vegetarian?

I actually hate it when people look at me, nose scrunched up, and say, "why are you a vegetarian, anyway?" When I was younger, I didn't want to really go into too much detail, for fear that I was preaching my beliefs. Now, I am more assertive and I want to explain my beliefs if (only if) someone asks.

So, what do YOU usually say in response to this type of question??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-05, 15:17

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm not a veggie, but I've learned the HARD way, a LONG time ago that it is pointless and useless to justify your own eating decisions to others.

(A) You don't need anyone's approval or blessing to be veggie if you want.

(B) Their approval or blessing won't increase or decrease whatever benefits you get out of being a veggie.

(C) You will RARELY, if EVER, change anyone's mind about eating. And why should you even try to change anyone's mind anyway. And you will NEVER find a way of eating that will please or impress or earn the approval of everyone.

Eat the way you want.

And if someone asks "Why are you a veggie, anyway?" Just shrug and say. . .

"Works for me."

"I like it."

"Suits me better."

"Why? Does it bother you?"
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-05, 17:43
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

In this case I totally agree with Walt. People ask because they are nosy. It is a personal question and if you don't want to answer it-don't. How many people run around and ask, "Why are you a carnivore, anyway?"

Actually, let's think of the silliest/stupidest/ickiest reasons to be a veggie and see what people say when we tell them these when they ask.

I am allergic to meat.

I ran out of A1 steak sauce a long time ago and haven't gotten more.

I am trying to piss off my parents.

My best friend is a chicken and I feel guilty eating his relatives.

Hey, what kind of tampons do you use?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-06, 08:35

Plan: Haven't
Stats: 190/174/170 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress:

I think of it this way. From cannibals to vegans there is everything in between. Everyone draws the line in a different place as to what violence is necessary and what is not necessary.

We live in cities built on destroyed wildlife, drive cars that kill bugs etc. so there is no perfect non-violence.

For me eating meat is an unnecessary violence. I admire people who take non-violence to a higher level than I do but don't judge people who draw the line in a different place.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 17:49

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Actually, I'm also with Walt on this.
I eat meatless meals not for religious beliefs, not for economics any longer (although with the cost of meat, those days of gift-wrapped meat from the 70s seem like yesterday!), not for some higher moral purpose...I eat meatless meals because I LIKE them. And frankly, it's no one else's business.

And yes, IMO, if you launch into some higher reason for any menu plan other than that the way you eat is your preference, and none of their business--well, yeah, you ARE preaching your beliefs. In my experience, that is just pointless and I don't have the time or energy for that. I've got more important things to do, like untangle my stereo speaker wires. Seriously...this is a menu choice, not a 'cause.'
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 18:07

Plan: Moderate low-carb
Stats: 186/140/135 Female 5"5
BF:OnebigAB
Progress: 90%

What's the old, "preach not to others what to eat, but eat as becomes you." Ok, I probably botched it. But your life practices are yours, it's your freedom, and if others object, well thats their business. Some people, americans especially have a bad attitude towards mindful eating. Eat, drink and be merry seems to be something America has undertaken with great ease and comfort, doing anything contrary is just, well, weird. It's the same reason many people are against low-carb, high-fat diets, because it's contrary to their nature and they assume that because you're living on the same plain of existance, you eat just like them. Well, reality check, not everyone is like that. That's life pretty much, there's always a matter of disagreement with everything from food to sexual orientation. I respond with, "who cares, you don't have to eat it."