Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 10:23
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default Fish Oil caps.... YUCK!

I've been taking these EFA capsules for a few weeks now, but recently they've been bothering me.... I've been burping up that nasty fishy taste and it's ga-rosss!! Any hints for making it GO AWAY??

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 10:53
Run Spot, run!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/151/150 Female 67 inches
BF:32%/27ish%/21-25%
Progress: 94%
Unhappy Ummm...

Oh good grief, I just started taking those horse pills - and with that delightful "return to Induction" mouth - the fish burps don't sound pleasing at all. Lord, I'll be single forever!!

Is it possible that you are eating some other notoriously gassy food you weren't eating when you started the supplement?

I had the same problem with the "burps" years ago when those "breath assure" capsules were so popular...

Just a thought...are you taking them 1/2 way through a meal? That was suggested to me to minimize stomach upset.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 11:06

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

TeriDoodle...

I agree with you on those "fish burps"...way yucky! What my DH does (and he swears this helps) is to take them in the middle of a meal, not on an empty stomach. You can also get enteric coated fish oil capsules and those totally eliminate the fish burps because they dissolve in your small intestine and not in your stomach.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 11:31
Starting Over!

Thanks......... I'll try the mid-meal method (IF I can remember). I've never taken them on an empty stomach, always just after eating. If that fails, I guess I'll tough it out 'cause I don't wanna switch brands....these have all the goodies in them
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 17:17
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Get the enteric coated ones! GET THE ENTERIC COATED ONES!!

They are so much better, no disgusting fishy burp every single time.
I've been taking fish oil since early last year and suffered through the disgusting ones for months.

Have a look around for other brands, Teri, I'm sure you'll find one with the same goodies. I did. I still have a half full bottle in the fridge of the old ones that I thought about finishing one day. Time I threw 'em out 'cos I'll never go back!

Incidentally, I accidentally (I was ½ asleep I think) took an enteric coated one on an empty stomach once and wound up with the infamous fishy burp again. So keep taking them with or after food.

Cheers, matey

Roz
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 17:53

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

The brand I take is called Fisol and it's produced by Nature's Way. It has 1 IU of vitamin E and 500 mg. of Fish Oil per capsule. The bottle says that you need less of it because it's better absorbed when the capsule dissolves in the small intestine instead of in the stomach. Don't know for sure if that's true or not, but I do know that I love not having those nasty fishy burps anymore. Ewwwwww!

Last edited by Lisa N : Thu, Jan-02-03 at 17:54.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 19:31
Forum Moderator

BF:

Mine are Nature's Own (I think an Aust or NZ company) and have 1000mg fish oil per capsule, with 180mg EPA and 120mg DHA.

Although I've stopped taking them for now as I have surgery coming up in a few weeks and I've read that they can chelp prevent platelet aggregation which can lead to extra bleeding. Gotta give myself the best chance!

Cheers.

Roz
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 20:25
Starting Over!

Yeah, but, but, but....mine have borage oil, primrose oil, and CLA in them among other goodies . Oh, alright......anything to get rid of the fish-burps. I wonder why they didn't bother me at first

Thanks, pals-o-mine!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 22:30
Run Spot, run!

Stats: 168/151/150 Female 67 inches
BF:32%/27ish%/21-25%
Progress: 94%
Wink Is everything a YMMV??!!

I was dutifully setting my fish oil cap beside my dinner plate tonight and my dad, who was there dining, asked me why I was taking my fish oil during dinner... I, of course, said "To ward off the fish burps!!"

After a few minutes of rather ungentlemanly snickering - he informed me that he takes 3 fish oil pills (same brand as mine) every morning - for years - and never one fish burp

YMMV, indeed!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 10:02
Starting Over!

Ok, I tried an experiment this morning.... after my first fish-burp ( that's so gross!) I immediately started drinking LOTS of water.... trying to force down the contents of my stomach, y'know? It seems to be working....it's not totally gone, but better! It also helps me to get my water in!! Yea!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 20:37

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I take 2 salmon oil capsules and 2 borage oil capsules at the end of breakfast and no burps. Maybe your capsules are too complicated? Or not.

I also always have tea with heavy cream for breakfast, so maybe that 'dampens' the burps. (Snicker)

#12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 09:26

Stats: 280/271/225 Male 75"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I brought this to my Doctor's attention, because it was happening to me big time and he told me to freeze the caps so that they dissolve a little later in the intestinal tract.
I found this to be a little helpful, but eventually I stopped with the fish oil. I went to flaxseed oil and began to eat fish a lot more often. I wish you luck, because I can really sympathize with the fish burp. Mega yuk.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 18:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosebud
I have surgery coming up in a few weeks

Best wishes to you for a successful surgery.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 06:40
Forum Moderator

BF:

Thanks, Freydis!!!

Rosebud
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 08:22
Starting Over!

I froze my fish oil caps and this morning they don't seem to be bothering me at all! Thanks, Buster!!

Just a side note: I have really noticed the last couple of days that my skin is soooooooooo much healthier now! I radiate!