Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-14, 14:00

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Question What does red palm oil taste like?

I was thinking about buying a jar of red palm oil, by Nutiva. No idea what it tastes like though.

Anyone use it? Can you eat it like the yummy Nutiva coconut oil, right out of the jar?

*There is an UNREFINED version also by Nutiva--does this mean the unrefined version has a FLAVOR? Cause that is what I'm after, flavor.

Can I make candy with it?

Is it sweet?

Does it harden at a certain temp like the coconut oil?

I see it has zero carbs.......hmm, interesting!

It's about $10 a jar-- should I buy some?

Last edited by Molly B : Sun, Oct-19-14 at 14:14.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-14, 14:32

BF:

Nevermind, found out! The red palm oil has a taste sort of like a carrot, so I bought a jar.

Nutiva.com has a special coupon code, if you spend $30 you get free S&H AND you get $10 off your order!

I just got 2 jars of coconut manna (been wanting to try that stuff soooooo bad!), a jar of the red palm oil, and 3 of those little coconout/hempseed chocolate candy snack things for $20.xx!!

The code to get the $10 off is FB19FAN-8Q
Spend $30 and you'll get free S&H automatically.

It's an awesome deal, the free S&H if you spend $30 (easy to do!) because here are the shipping rates otherwise:

SHIPPING PREFERENCES

Ground
$0.00

3rd Day
$34.03

2nd Day
$45.91

2nd Day AM
$62.21

Next Day Afternoon
$84.48

Next Day
$89.78

Next Day Early AM
$141.27

Shipping Method: Ground (Residential)

Where did you hear about Nutiva?: forum.LowCarber.org

Item Quantity Description Amount
---- -------- ----------- ------
MNA101 2 15oz Organic Coconut Manna 19.98
RED101G 1 Organic Red Palm Oil 15 fl oz Glass 7.99
Jar
BAR202 2 O'Coconut" Hemp & Chia 1.78
BAR302 1 O'Coconut" Classic 0.89

Subtotal before discounts 30.64
Discounts 10.00
Subtotal 20.64
Tax Rate 0.00%
Tax 0.00
Shipping/Handling 0.00
Total $20.64
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-14, 15:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I bought some once and detested it. Hope you like it!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-14, 23:47

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I know that for flavor Brazilian palm oil (dende oil) is strongly preferred over African palm oil, which is what is widely available.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 04:41

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I spent one night vomiting after a meal made with African palm oil. Best used in small amounts--for me.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 18:40

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

I bought a jar on sale. The first little taste did taste sort of like carrot, but it went downhill from there. The jar is still sitting in my pantry. I have no idea what to do with it now.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-14, 09:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I'm another one who bought a jar of Nutiva organic palm oil, after reading glowing reports at various paleo boards about its supposed health benefits, delicious flavour, bla bla yada yada ...

Blehhh. Tastes like carrots? Hmm, that's a bit of a stretch. Definitely not fresh sweet carrots, maybe stale leftover cooked carrots - or boiled pumpkin. However, the taste can be hidden if you're cooking a dish with lots of garlic and spices.

The most off-putting thing for me is the texture. It's like paste; even when melted it leaves a pasty, waxy coating on my tongue. Eeeuuwww. Its melting point is quite high, which means it congeals fairly quickly as food cools on your plate.

And beware if you use it for frying! Do not let it spatter, and watch where you place any spatula, spoon or any utensil that comes in contact with it. THIS STUFF STAINS, big time!

Sorry, not a favourable review from me. FWIW, my cat hates it too .. but she *adores* virgin coconut oil
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-14, 09:20

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
And beware if you use it for frying! Do not let it spatter, and watch where you place any spatula, spoon or any utensil that comes in contact with it. THIS STUFF STAINS, big time!

Yeah - I forgot to mention that. My stove & counter had lots of orange polka-dots!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-14, 09:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Just wanted to add ..

I have continued to use it in very small amounts for the colour .. much cheaper than saffron . For a large curry recipe, I'll use coconut oil as the main cooking fat, then add just a teaspoonful of red palm oil at the end to lend a bright orange-yellow colour to the final dish . So not a total waste ..
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-14, 15:30

BF:

OMG!..........the red palm oil leaked everywhere in the box, but its okay, can't hardly help that, and they DID pack it well, but it's freaking HOT here in FL and the stuff liquifies and it ran all over the jar, the box, but not a complete disaster.

This is my 1st time trying red palm oil, and like they said on the site, IT DOES taste a little like carrot! A very very very mild carrot!!! Hardly any flavor at all, but 1 tbsp let me taste it, very light, although a bright orange that stains everything, my kitchen towels, OMG!----but othersise cheaper than the coconut oil, just as good for you. Hope to use some to make candies THAT I'LL STORE IN THE FRIDGE HERE IN FL!!!

A lot of you said it made you feel sick, oh boy, sounds like a little goes a long way! This jar might last me a year, haha. I'll try some candy making, maybe it's better in the tummy if it's cold and not used for frying? Or curry? Will let you guys know........

The coconut manna? My 1st time trying it too, and HOLY MOLY this stuff is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thicker than the coconut oil, and so tasty, going to add 1 packet of splenda or truvia to the jar and see how that works. Heaven! Like the said, HEAVEN!!!

Nutiva offered free S&H on $30 ORDER (easy to do!) and I think also 10 or 20% off? Well worth it! I posted about it in the 'foods' section of this forum. :-)

I also received 3 of the coconut little candy treat things, wow, they are really really small! Small like those miniature peppermint patty candies!! I could easily eat all 3 at once. Will try one tonight, let you guys know how it tastes. I sure wasn't expecting them to be so small, they looked big on their site, at least half the size of a york's peppermint patty, but no, they were really small. Hopefully they are packed with a LOT of flavor to make up for their size.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 13:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Happy I came home from Trader Joe's to check this forum! So on new product shelf is a pint jar of RPO, organic and expeller pressed for $5.99, all swirly red, orange and yellow. Like a 70s lava lamp gone bad Decided to check further on its use and taste, because it looked too weirdly colored and inedible.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 14:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Have you ever licked your car's axel? I haven't either, but it seemed like palm oil might taste slightly worse.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-15, 16:11

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Never considered Palm OIl but you know what? I've seen the under side of my car and I don't wanna lick it.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 05:07

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Palm oil is really quite tasty and adds flavor to many foods. It is red and liquid in hot humid climates, like Florida and Africa where it is the basis for many meals. But, unlike coconut oil, you may have an allergic reaction to it, as I did once. Spent the night with my head in the toilet. But then, the entire meal was cooked in palm oil. Delicious and deadly--for me. No one else had the slightest problem with it. Several years later, I was exposed to another palm oil meal with the same reaction. That time I did not know there was palm oil in one of the dishes served.

So if you are allergic to some foods (I have the same reaction to parsnips) do a taste test and don't overdo the first time you use it.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-15, 05:18

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thank you guys for all the warnings! Think I will stick with TJ's coconut oil.
Especially since I have a severe anaphylactic reaction to mangos, the skin reaction to papaya, and now oral allergies to apples, pears, and other fruits. If it is possible to be allergic to something weird, I've got it, so will pass on weird looking, and weird tasting, oil.