Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 12:02

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Lipohypertrophy (fat lumps)

I had this nagging feeling that I was right all along to believe that chronic carbohydrate poisoning eventually causes permanent physiological changes that can't be reversed just by cutting carbs. To illustrate:

http://www.google.ca/images?um=1&hl...g3g-m1&aql=&oq=

Eloquent, isn't it.

This is what Gary Taubes was talking about. Injecting insulin in the same spot for years will cause a fat lump in that spot that can't be rid of just by stopping the injections at that site. But we're not all diabetics type 1, we're just fat. Yes, that's true. But the lesson here is that insulin is more active at the injection site than anywhere else in the body. And, insulin changes our physiology, but more specifically our fat tissue permanently.

Permanently.

This means if we're 40 and we've been eating truckloads of carbs since birth, we won't grow as lean as the other guy who's 40 and hasn't, just by cutting carbs and hoping for the best. We'll only grow as lean as our fat tissue will allow. It also means we're going to end up with muffin tops. The muffin top is due in part to the constant insulin pumping out of our pancreas in response to the carbohydrate load, and the fact that insulin is more active at the site (or closest to the site) it is injected in the body, i.e. the pancreas. We're fatter in the middle, and leaner in the extremities.

But then we're all fooked and can't reverse this at all? No, that's not true. We can reverse this, we just have to use the same tools that got us into this mess in the first place: Hormones. Remember what Taubes was saying about hormones and which ones made us lean opposite insulin? Well, that's a good place to start.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 13:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Yeah, it just doesn't make any sense to figure decades of "carb abuse" won't leave some marks.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 13:32

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
This means if we're 40 and we've been eating truckloads of carbs since birth, we won't grow as lean as the other guy who's 40 and hasn't, just by cutting carbs and hoping for the best.
While this is true and I would like to lose 30 more pounds, knowing I fixed my pre-diabetes and high blood pressure still makes me very happy and vastly improves my quality of life.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 14:09

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I am a type I- and in the diabetes community, we call the lower belly gut we all have our "insulin bellies" from years of injecting or having insulin pumps in our lower tummies. I can't stand it- no matter how lean I get, I always have lower belly pudge
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 17:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
I am a type I- and in the diabetes community, we call the lower belly gut we all have our "insulin bellies" from years of injecting or having insulin pumps in our lower tummies. I can't stand it- no matter how lean I get, I always have lower belly pudge

That's right. Like I pointed, stopping the injections at the site won't make the lumps go away. For that, we must use the same tools that got us into this mess in the first place: Hormones. Look at growth hormone for example.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-11, 22:31

BF:

Anybody remember when Taubes said something about delta V? When the system gets bigger, Eout increases, Ein must increase to compensate. If Ein stays the same, Eout must decrease to compensate. Well, those fat lumps is exactly that, the system got bigger. So, after 40 years of eating carbs and growing bigger fat tissue, we gotta eat more to feed that increase. Or, we grow more lethargic because we don't eat more.

The point is that the system got bigger and caloric intake had nothing to do with it, and has nothing to do with making the system smaller now.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-11, 08:20

BF:

This thread really interests me, Levac.

I have never been "technically" overweight, but I definitely have insulin resistance and that belly pudge where I inject/now pump most often.

Even when overly lean, I carry this pudge, so if we can figure out a way to get rid of it (other than lipo obviously!), I would love to know....so would all my friends with type I
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-11, 09:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
This thread really interests me, Levac.

I have never been "technically" overweight, but I definitely have insulin resistance and that belly pudge where I inject/now pump most often.

Even when overly lean, I carry this pudge, so if we can figure out a way to get rid of it (other than lipo obviously!), I would love to know....so would all my friends with type I

Do you allow me to send you a PM with a suggestion?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-11, 17:05

BF:

That would be really nice- thanks!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-11, 17:32

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Yes even at almost goal I still have the lower belly bulge. Sadly I have allowed some weight gain due to the disappointment I felt after realizing this fat was not going to come off with low carb eating alone.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-11, 18:03

BF:

Fat tissue grows bigger under the pressure of chronic hyperinsulinemia induced by chronic carbs ingestion. Cutting carbs will allow insulin to return to normal, but won't cause fat tissue to shrink back to its former size. Since insulin merely returns to normal, and there's no opposite pressure to cause fat tissue to shrink back to its former size, fat tissue will only shrink back to its new bigger normal size.

That could be 10% bigger or more. So for a former size of 30lbs of fat tissue, we'd end up with 33lbs of fat tissue. But most of us don't just weight 3 more lbs. We weigh 30-40-50 more lbs. So the effect of chronic hyperinsulinemia over the years is very significant.

Accordingly, to shrink back fat tissue to its former size, we have to do something just as effective. Short of going under the knife and having the fat tissue cut out of our bodies, there are ways to do that over time. However, the forum rules do not allow the discussion of these methods. The point is that these methods exist.

That's how I see it.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-11, 18:10

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Where can I find info regarding how to lose this fat?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-11, 19:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanM
Where can I find info regarding how to lose this fat?

Google. I can't be more specific than that. However, Gary Taubes talked about the hormones that control fat tissue. Insulin on the lipogenic side, and growth hormone and others on the lipolytic side. On this website below, we have several examples of pharmacological means to increase fat tissue. It's only reasonable to assume that there must be pharmacological ways to shrink it. There are, I checked. But like I said, the forum rules don't allow the discussion of these methods.

http://www.why-low-carb-diets-work....eight-loss.html
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-11, 10:05

Plan: Less meat, more veg LC
Stats: 252/217/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Please PM me too. I think you've raised some really good points.

F
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-11, 10:56

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 205/152/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

i'd also appreciate a pm. i've got that lower belly fat that just won't go away no matter how low my weight gets.