Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 12:21
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%
Thumbs up GG bran crackers for regularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedswife

at one point during this wol i did feel constipated and found some fiber pills (these were pure oat and wheat fiber pills-walgreens generic brand - 2 grams of fiber per pill recommends you take 4-5 a day for a total of 10 grams of fiber)..they did the trick and were cheaper than psyllium/metamucil and they worked immediately but not like a laxative...i think it is the type of fiber that works better.
jedswife:
I've found my rememdy: GG crispbread cracker made with 85% unprocessed wheat bran and some rye flour: 3 g fiber per cracker for a total carbs 6 g. Work like a charm and taste pretty good too especially piled up with cream cheese and/or sweet butter or any spread. They are very crunchy, do not contain yeast and hydrogenated fats, and are a great low carb bread sustitute. It's not suitable for Induction but otherwise, a cracker with meal is fine, and give me 9 g fiber a day in addition to my vegetables.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 12:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
So, is a colon cleansing program going to be harmful? Probably not if done in a correct fashion. It is not usually necessary to replace the bacterial colonies of the colon as this will naturally occur following a scope procedure without any "help".

I think those irrigational colonics might be a problem, seems like I saw a warning on those somewhere.

Other than that, you're probably just doing the same thing to yourself that they do when you're getting ready for a sigmoidoscopy (no idea of the spelling). But good god, I've gone through that for another procedure. I was up ALL night with cramping diahrhea. I didn't feel cleansed so much as I felt like I had been turned inside out.

Yeah, they gotta clean you out first because you don't want a turd blocking the scope!

I notice for me that my regularity depends upon the volume of food I eat. I "go" much more frequently if I'm eating lots of food, versus not eating lots.

Yes, hormones can really mess it all up. Lots of times I'm constipated before TOM and have mild diahrhea during. And thyroid can do all kinds of bad things down there, both ways.

Viva la Poop Chute!
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 12:33

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

thanks dina i will look for some.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 14:39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think those irrigational colonics might be a problem, seems like I saw a warning on those somewhere.
Nancy:
A friend of mine had 10 irrigational colonics and now she is battling constipation and indigestion. They promised she will look 10 years younger, get all her digestive issues resolved, etc. I'm not sure if she looks any younger but digestive issues worstened. I;d rather spend my money on something more pleasant. They told her that her colon was full of fecal matter, food she ate 5 years ago, blah-blah, such a scam . My mother got the colonics with mineral water done once (5 procedures), she lost 10 kg initially but then gained it all back in no time. I suspect the weight loss was more due to dehydration and walking up the hill to the clinic.
Quote:
Other than that, you're probably just doing the same thing to yourself that they do when you're getting ready for a sigmoidoscopy (no idea of the spelling). But good god, I've gone through that for another procedure. I was up ALL night with cramping diahrhea. I didn't feel cleansed so much as I felt like I had been turned inside out.
OMG, I felt like I will die at the end of that night, it was not much to clean though, but I was seriously dehydrated when I've arrived for the procedure, so they put me on IV, which made me go to the bathroom every 10 minutes with IV attached for another 2 hours I can laugh now, but then it was not funny at all.
Quote:
Yes, hormones can really mess it all up. Lots of times I'm constipated before TOM and have mild diahrhea during.
Viva la Poop Chute!
Ditto here, now I am a bit constipated before TOM, 20 y back it was the opposite. I prefer eat lots of fibrous food and good fats.
Cheers,
D.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 14:42
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedswife
thanks dina i will look for some.
Here is the website. I've found it's cheaper to buy directly.
http://www.ggbrancrispbread.com/
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 16:16

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
Here is the website. I've found it's cheaper to buy directly.
http://www.ggbrancrispbread.com/

Hey, what store can you buy this from?????
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 16:32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissScruff
Hey, what store can you buy this from?????
MissScruff:
I could not find these crackers in any store in SF, even Whole foods. Whole food sell only Bran-a-Crips, which are OK but GG are better. So, I just ordered from their website. They are good for three years, and I also share with my mother who has diabetes. I've shopped around the web, this site has the best price.
You can contact wholesales for stores in your area, I guess.

Wholesale Scandinavian Crisp Bread Distributors :

Eastern Star - (718)-449-2030

• Island Natural - (718)-721-8000 Item #61001
• J and J Distributors - (718-589-0517)
Lantev Dist. Corp - (718)-599-1900 Item #SCB10

• Tree of Life
Northeast - (201)662-7200 Item#597500
Northwest - (503)-650-5566 Item#521668
Midwest - (812)335-6260 Item#597500
Southeast - 1-800-260-2424 Item#7705
Southwest - 1-800-800-2175 Item#597500

United Natural Foods Inc.