Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-12, 01:44

Plan: dr. Boz Keto Continuum
Stats: 265/226/165 Female 175 centimeters
BF:53/46.8/21
Progress: 39%

I'm feeling sort of iffy about training today, but I know I have to, because I can feel how much I need it. I'm stiff as a board!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-12, 03:37

I've had a few good sessions, just didn't feel like posting, "Another great training session today!", and then, two days later, "Another great training session today!". I'll get back to logging the weights after today's session, just for future reference.

I'll also include a picture of my new fractional weight plates! They fit an olympic bar, with the big holes, and come in .25, .5, .75 and 1 kg. That's five kg weighing down my gym bag, and I had to ask Mum if she had any REALLY tough bags lying around the attic I could borrow, because the flimsy thing I was using (blood bank bag) would have ruptured for sure.

Plans for today: I'm going to start my bridge pose just after warmup, or as a part of my warmup, since I wipe out my arms too much to do it safely (or remotely comfortably) after. This time I'm even going to try the crow pose, even if for 5 seconds.

I'm also going to start using the .5 kg plates on the oly bar for military presses. My form isn't perfect yet, but I'm tired of pressing just the bar, and I figure 1 kg is just about right to add.

I may even start work on learning the power clean today.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-12, 01:55

So, with one thing and another, I forgot to take a pic of the fractional plates, but I used them, and lifted 21 kg in the standing press! 22.5 kg would have been too much. My form still isn't great on this exercise.

I didn't really do much of the crow stance, maybe 1 second... I'm terrified of lifting my feet up! But I did the bridge for about 40 seconds, just broken up in several bits because I could feel my feet slipping even in shoes... That is just getting seriously annoying! I want to get a pair of weightlifting shoes, but suspect the're hard to find even in Oslo, much less in (large) women's sizes! My problem is I have long, but narrow feet, so I have to shop in specialty stores or order shoes in any case.

Weights: Squat 55 kg 5x5,
Press 21 kg 5x5,
Deadlift 60 kg 5x1.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-12, 15:14

Here are the fractional plates:

Lifts today: Squat 60 kg 5x5
Bench press 44.5 kg 5x5
Deadlift 65 kg 5x1.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-12, 05:40

Copied from my journal:

I've had a couple of no-go days of training. Today I'm going back down to 55 kg for the squat, and we'll see about the other lifts. I tried to go up to fast, and for a couple of weeks, it worked fine, but I hit the wall. I knew I would, it was just too tempting. I've learned my lesson now, though. I'm going to add 2,5 kg to my two heaviest lifts, and 1 kg per session to the lighter ones.

Sometime soon I plan to add in power cleans and chinups. I don't have a schedule for that, but maybe in two weeks?
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 02:49

Copied from my journal:

For several reasons, not all of them good ones, I've been off training for over a week. Yeah, so, some of it was the gym was closed on some days of Easter, but there was a little shameless skiving involved in there, too.

Yesterday I decided to try a fasted workout, and like an idiot, I didn't deload or cut any reps or sets. On the third set of 5 squats my knees gave out on the last rep, and I sank down onto my knees with 70 kg perched quite securely on my shoulders. It was weird. I just sat there for a moment, to gather my wits, and the bar was so very well balanced on my posterior deltoids that I felt like I could go on just sitting there forever.

I then asked the really buff guy using the smith machine next to the power cage to come help me, please. He ran over and lifted it off my shoulders like it weighed nothing at all. Well, frankly I deadlift more than that, too, but honestly he lifted it like it was a small sack of fluffy feathers...!

I was too shaky to lift any more after that, even presses, so I left after a while. I did go back to the cage and pump out the one lift I missed, though. The bar never gets to win.

Today, I'm starting to get the mother of all DOMS, feels like. And I skinned my right knee a bit. All in all, I can thank my lucky stars my stupidity didn't get me seriously hurt, and I've learned my lesson about fasting and lifting. Namely, this is not the way to do that!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 02:59

Forgot to add, last time these were my lifts:
Squat 67.5
Bench press 47
Deadlift 75.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, May-22-12, 04:38

Yesterday's lifts:

Squat: 70.5
Bench: Press 51
Chinups: 10-second top hangs x 3.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, May-22-12, 04:54

Copied from my journal:

It's funny how much I love being the "lifting chick" at my gym. I think I'm starting to get strong to the point where guys take me seriously and are even a little impressed. I mean two sessions ago I spent a while "working in" with this very nice, built guy in the squat cage. And turned out, he had been neglecting his squat due to injuries and never learned it properly, so I was much better! So, we talked shop a lot. I'm usually hesitant to offer advice unless someone asks, but he was cool with it. Mostly I hold back because I know I'm just an amateur who learned it all from a BOOK, and, also, everyone has a opinion. You have to choose well who to listen to, and who's to say where I learned it from? Well, Mark Rippetoe's great book Starting Strength, in fact, but if I get to this point I can just recommend reading it.

And yesterday I had to wait for these two... guys (I'd like to use another word, actually) who took up BOTH benches in our very small gym that only has two, and spotted each other, so one bench was standing tantalizingly unused all the time and then they switched off. I do understand not WANTING to change the plates every time, but that was a bit much. And then they stood around just CHATTING for several minutes in between... Grrrrrr! -Hulk SMASH!!!

I felt much better when I realized that the weight the smaller guy was struggling to lift for reps was just nine kilos heavier than my own... I may never catch up, but he's not much stronger right now! If he gets stuck, I may even beat him at bench pressing, even for a couple sessions... That would be neat.

Although I adore lifting heavy and succeeding, my most badass moment of every session is leaving the gym wearing my nice coat and putting on my high heels and tripping out of there every bit a lady... Now that, to me, feels very badass. I'm not an imitation man, in fact I'm not an imitation anything!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, May-22-12, 05:12

Copied from my journal:

And, at the start of july, I'm spending a whole week hiking in the south of France!!!

It's one of those trips where they drive your luggage and you just take a day sack. It's guided, lots of things to see, bed and board included (mountain shelters, picnics (Or, pique-niques, even! Isn't that originally a French word?!)).

And I ordered through a French company, so hopefully, I'll get to speak nothing but French for the whole week... I seriously hope they don't fill up the trip with English-speaking tourists, if so I will be very. Pissed.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, May-23-12, 02:05

Yesterday I went hiking to prepare for my trip. I hadn't eaten since breakfast, making this one of my random IF days. The weather was very lovely, sunny and warm, even in the afternoon, real T-shirt and shorts weather. I packed a pair of yoga pants and a windbreaker in my backpack, just in case, but ended up walking in just bike shorts and a fitted T-shirt. I didn't want to overheat!

I ended up walking roughly 17 kilometers, along marked trails in the woods just uphill from my parents' house. At the end I was really footsore, but nothing a good sleep didn't cure fast!

As I walked I thought about what Mark Sisson has written about "forest bathing", and I guess that's what I was doing. The only sounds were my breathing and footsteps, and bird song and purling brooks. And the occasional crackle from the high-voltage wires I passed under. I left all the traffic noise far behind me. We NEVER get to experience that, most of us, we're just used to the sound of cars and tune it out. Even my aunt's arguably remote farm has a road running through the valley and there's always noise.

I found that doing squats for over a year means I can go uphill much faster and easier now. I don't run uphill, but I think I probably could if I wanted to! I just rise up like an elevator, instead of hauling myself painfully up with the aid of the nearest tree, LOL!
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-12, 02:51

Copied from my journal:

Yesterday's gym session went really well. I've got a new trick: at the end of my warmup I put 30 extra kilos over my shoulders and just stand around for a few seconds, bouncing a little. The point is to convince my CNS that 70-odd kilos is NOTHING. Feeling how very, f*****g HEAVY 100-plus kilos is helps be get through sticking points. Or that is the theory. I've only tried it twice, and it seems to be working. I've got a sticking point at around 70 kg. Just on the squat, though. I've fallen once, and had to dump the bar on the pins once (because that time the pins were up!), at 70 and 72 kg respectively.

I think my mental(?) block is caused both by this, and the feeling that 70-plus is a very heavy weight, which I suppose it is. It's going to take me a while to work through. I'm also trying to improve my form. If I can't lift 70 kg safely, I'm going to injure myself falling under a 100, and I really don't want to do that.

Another thing, yesterday I heard a female trainer working with a female client. Well I say I heard them, I definitely saw them too, but she was LOUD. I mean, she was encouraging her client so loudly she could be heard over the whole gym! The male trainers don't seem to do that... And yet another thing, she sounded like she was potty-training a toddler... That's right, it was all, One more time, one more, one more, YES!!! Good JOB!!! You are doing GREAT!

What, the f**k, gives. Here I was, training in absolute silence, apart from a little heavy and/or shaky breathing... But I at least had my dignity. If my trainer had started giving me that sort of "encouragement", I would have told her to shut up and gotten another one for my next appointment. Honestly, this is not good for women lifting! We are not babies, we are not lazy or stupid, and we can do the work exactly like men. In fact, we can do the work, period. Not "like" anyone, we need no comparison. Women do the work.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-13, 04:40

Three long swims, 2100, 3000, and 3000 meters this week, and two lifting sessions,
squat 50 3x5 and 55 3x5,
bench 40 3x5 and 42.5 3x5,
deadlift canceled on account of injury (20 kg plate mashed my left ring finger tip, but thankfully missed the joint), second session 80 1x5.

It's saturday and I'm battling a virus. Otherwise I would have added a third lifting session. Might take a walk tomorrow, will have to see how I feel.

Next week intend to add morning burpees, turkish getups and possibly table chinups before shower and breakfast. Will have to get up earlier, hope I succeed at that!