Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 09:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%
Default Resistance training...free weights, etc.

As some of you may recall, I started the resistance training about three weeks ago. I just don't feel like I'm doing enough. My trainer said low weights/high reps=toned muscles. Fine...but shouldn't I feel them at least a tiny bit???? I've increased the weights to the point where by the end of my rep, I can really feel the burn. At this point, I'm only doing one set of 15 on each machine. I guess I feel like I'm floating in the wind over here and don't have a clue as to what I'm doing. Can I please get some input? It takes me about thirty minutes to work out all body parts and I really, really think I'm not working my muscles to the best potential.

Also...is there any greater benefit in using free weights versus using the resistance training machines? My gym has both, although it appears the free weights area is so far a mostly "guy" domain (although who cares...I'll work out anywhere that will give me the best results).

Thanks,
L
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 10:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 268/211/134 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 43%

I hope someone who really knows this stuff because 2 weeks ago I started on our gym's resistance equipment and have the same reaction,

it seems too simple, I too have been at least going for the 'burn'

my husband swears by this stuff, but he is a man and has all those muscles,

I like the resistance machines at least for now,

I will watch this thread with interest,

julienne
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 10:46

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%

Hi L,

I just got home from a workout with my trainer (I work out 3x/week with a trainer) and the most physical thing I can do right now is sit here reading and typing.

Your trainer is correct about the toning. I just don't happen to want to wait that long. I want those muscles shredded by the end of a workout so two days later I can actually feel how much stronger I am and, in fact, experience it as it shows in my next workout. To this end, I go with the heaviest weights and go (sometimes only 10 reps if I'm lucky) until I'm gruntin' like a wild boar. (Btw, everyone in my gym is skinny, doesn't sweat and doesn't make any noise when they workout. I, on the other hand, am not skinny, stink up the whole gym with my ketone-infused sweat and vocalize profusely. Ask me if I give a s*it.) I move quickly (60 second breaks) to the next routine until, depending on the body part, for example my arms are hanging like a couple of wet noodles. My workouts are not fun. But, when I hobble out of the gym, I FEEL GREAT and it last all day! Yes, I hurt, for which I take alot of L-glutamine (the weight lifter's best friend). I also come home and feed those aching muscles so they will be efficient in their recovery.

As for the free weights, they are almost always * better than machines (* there are some machines that can work muscles that free weights can't) because they force you to use other muscles for stablization. In other words, more bang for your buck.

HTH,

Jones
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 11:01

Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default IMHO

I have been doing weight training for a year and l have definately increased my strength alot! I know you only want to tone but I think you should at least be doing more sets and concentrating on certain areas. I go for heavier weights and less reps with 4 or 5 sets. Work upper body one day lower body the next for approx. 45 mins followed by 20 -30 mins HIIT Cardio.

Jones is right about the free weights but until you feel more confident with your routine it might be best to stick to machines. I know what you mean about "men" dominating the free weights but that doesnt stop me either! Girl power!

Lesley
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 11:30

Default Re: IMHO

Quote:
Originally posted by Akiwican
I have been doing weight training for a year and l have definately increased my strength alot! I know you only want to tone but I think you should at least be doing more sets and concentrating on certain areas. I go for heavier weights and less reps with 4 or 5 sets. Work upper body one day lower body the next for approx. 45 mins followed by 20 -30 mins HIIT Cardio.

Thanks for all of your responses. How many reps would you suggest? Unfortunately, I only have about 30 minutes a day to do resistance training. I don't want to give up my cardio or my swimming on those days, and to fit everything in with only an hour and a half, I can only do the 30 minutes. I will have to try to come up with some more time in the mornings before work (hard to do when I already get there when they open) or something.

BTW...I don't only want to tone, although that is nice... I also want to increase my strength. Naturally I don't want to be bulky (even if I could), but I don't mind the muscles showing...lol. Until more of this fat goes though...I don't have to worry about that anyway...lol.

Anyway...thanks again and more details would be appreciated

Laura
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 13:18

Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%

If you only want to spend 30 mins on weight training you could split your workouts into body parts e.g. biceps/triceps/abs one day, back/shoulders another etc. Have a look in the exercise forum for details on which ones go better with which. I do UBWO and LBWO to keep it simple for me.

You have to worry about having bulky muscles it just doesnt happen to women. I know what you mean about wanting the muscles to show.... they are definately under there somewhere

Enjoy your workouts

Lesley
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 14:52
Registered Member

Plan: modified CDK
Stats: 182/174/168 Male 69 inches
BF:19%/17%/15%
Progress: 57%
Default Reps/Sets/Weight

After you have been working out with weights for a couple weeks, you will want to be doing 3 sets of each exercise. You said your goal is 15 reps. That is a good goal. You will need to add resistance (more weight) to your exercises to the point that you cannot do 3 sets of 15 reps (with perfect form) each. You will be working your muscles to temporary failure. Then as you get stronger, (and you get stronger by healing on your days off) you will be able to perform all three sets of 15 reps. At that point, you add a little more weight, and then start trying to get to 3 sets 15 reps again.

Be sure you know what the proper form is for all of your exercizes. Use lighter weights until you get this down correctly. Do not "cheat" your form just to lift more weight. You will not be exercizing the muscle group that the exercize is targeted for, and you WILL risk injury.

The first few times you work out enough weight to reach your failure point, you will be sore a day or two later. After that, you will have some soreness, but not that bad. (until you add new exercizes)

Remember, your gains are made while your body is healing. Don't exercize the same muscle group two days in a row. I only exercize the same muscle group once a week. (but, then, I'm getting older, and don't heal so quickly.) Twice a week for each muscle group is plenty. If you lift 3 or 4 days a week, split your exercize routine up into smaller routines so you avoid over training. Have a trainer set up routines for different days.

(Very simple example see a trainer)
Day 1 Chest-Shoulders-Triceps-Legs
Day 2 Back-Biceps-Abs

You only make real gains by pushing yourself until you hit your failure point.
If you don't think you are working hard enough, you probably aren't.

Don't worry about free weights yet. Use the machines. They help keep your form correct, isolate the muscle groups you wish to exercize, and will protect you from injury caused by not lifting correctly.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 15:49
Registered Member

Default Trainers

If you are going to go to the gym. Spend the money for 1 or 2 sessions with a personal trainer. Tell him your honest goals. Let him know how much time you have to train, and how many days a week you will be in the gym. Have him set up your routines, and show you the proper form to use.
Set up logs, and chart your progress. You will not remember every routine, how much weight you are using, and how many reps you are doing. Write it down.
You don't need a personal trainer every workout, but every few months, you should schedule a session with the trainer. He can make sure you are still following proper form, and show you new exercizes that you can do to keep your workouts "fresh" and fun.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 16:39

Actually I have an appointment with a trainer tomorrow to evaluate my weight, measurements and overall how I am doing so far.

What you guys are saying makes a lot of sense. Soooo...I guess instead of working everything three days a week, I'll work some muscle groups or another six days a week. Every other day is okay, right? Kewl!!!

You said my goal was 15 reps....that's the number I've been doing from the beginning. I can finish them the one time, but really doubt I would be able to do a second set of 15 at the weight I'm working at. I guess I've found my starting point now.

I feel better now having some clue on where to start. I'm a bit ticked off that the trainer who took me through the machines didn't give me more info. I love the gym I am with, they have everything I want, but maybe next year I'll go with Gold's or something that is more strength oriented. Okay...maybe that's not fair. I'm always there really early in the morning before any of the trainers are there. I just don't understand why I didn't get more info.

Thanks,
Laura

I guess I should clarify....the trainer started me at what I felt was a low weight that I honestly didn't feel at all. On my own, starting the second time I did the machines, I increased the weight to the point where I could barely finish the 15 reps.

Last edited by whyspers : Fri, Apr-11-03 at 16:43.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 07:49
Registered Member

The trainer that shows you how to use the machines does not usually set up routines for you. What he is doing is more of an orientation. They usually have you work with a very light weight, just to show you know how to adjust the machine to fit your body. They also show you how to perform each exercize. (this service is usually a one time only freebie at most health clubs)
You should pay for a personal trainer, and have him set you up with all your routines.

No, I don't recomend you lift weights 6 days a week. Your body needs to heal. (All your gains in strength are made while you are healing.) Lift 4 days a week maximum. Do a short (15 to 20 minutes) but intense cardio session after you lift. Do longer, less intense (30 to 45 minutes) cardio on your "off" days.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 12:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 268/211/134 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 43%

oh s*** I thought that rest days meant just that, I did not want to have to do cardio on my off days,

opinions? started from almost comotose last August, began walking on treadmill, 2mph for 25 minutes, now can go 3 mph almost indefinetly, faster, I am very short, and I would need to run which I would feel uncomfortable doing, and my heartrate is just fine at 3mph, when this gets easy am planning on trying the elipital thing,

anyway now I do 15 minutes 3mph at a 2.0 hill for warm up then do the circuit resistance machines then another 15 minutes on the treadmill,

so are you saying that I could also go on my off days to just do treadmill?

also do I eat protein before or after the resistance training? can I just eat the protein like usual or do you suggest additional?

by the way I really feel the 'burn' after, it feels like I have hot muscles for the whole next day too,
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:37

Okay...here's what I have ended up with...

Monday, Wednesday and Friday - I lift...goal being 3 sets of 15 reps. Can't do that yet, but get well into the 2nd set right now.
Also, I do 20 min. cardio (usually treadmill) and then I swim for maybe 15 minutes.

On Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, I do crosstraining with treadmill and elliptical machine for about 45 min. +- and also swim for 20-25 minutes.

I didn't realize that about the trainer, Roderash. My personal trainer that I started out with was transferred to another branch of the same club so I don't have a specific person I'm working with right now. I thought if Carol had still been there, she would have shown me how to use the machines as well as help me with my workout. I guess that explains why a different person did the measuring and weighing from the beginning though...lol.

L
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 20:53
Registered Member

Stats: 314/195/180 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Just for totaly information, I'm a very big fan of the nautilus machines at my gym. I started my weightlifting carrer with a home Soloflex machine (which I highly recommend and still use regularly) and then switched to nautilus. I have tried free weights in the past but without a "spotter" I feel totally out of control and like I am putting myself in harms way. There is no doubt that the free weights will give you better results sine you are both having to balance the bar AND lift the weight, but machines like the Soloflex have a floating bar design which simulates this effect quite nicely. Now, while I"m at it......
Whyspers, I finally figured out who you remind me of! I can't remember the actresses name but she was one of the leading roles in the movie "The Boxer" starring Daniel Day Lewis. ....Wait....it's coming through my acohol dazed mind....Emily Watson! That's it! You could be her twin! Okay, enough rejoicing over my renewed mental capacity. Just had to throw that in though.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 11:54

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

whyspers - how long are you resting between sets? If you increase your rest, you can probably finish that 2nd set and even your 3rd. As your muscles become more fit, you will be able to recover between sets with less rest, but at first, take the rest that you need to recover before your next set.