Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-08, 15:08

Plan: Loose Atkins
Stats: 172/160/145 Female 170.2
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Cheating

So I decided that once a month I am going to have a cheat treat. So lastnight was the first one. I had been so looking forward to this, but when I ate the treat, I felt so sick almost immediately I was extremely nautious. I know that my body wasn't used to the carbs but the reaction was to the extreme!

Has this happened to anyone???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-08, 15:46

Plan: general LC
Stats: 202/144/135 Female 62 inches
BF:grr, no i FF
Progress: 87%

not to me, because i'm afraid of exactly that bodily response lol. i did have a potato and some corn on thanksgiving and suffered no ill effects, and about 1/2 cup of ice cream for my birthday, again with no ill effects. but i don't wanna push my luck.

sorry you had such a bad reaction. maybe it's a sign?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-08, 16:28

Plan: Almost ZC
Stats: 220/220/140 Female 5'4
BF:Yes
Progress: 0%

Yes, it happened to me twice. Once, I was out with a friend watching a friend's band. It was almost 3 am and I hadn't eaten since 4 that afternoon. We went to a 24 hour place and I got enchiladas and ate the tortillas, rice and beans. Within 20 minutes, my congestion, acid reflux and gas were back in full force.

For two days after Thanksgiving, I was miserable.

The results of the cheats, reminded me of why I don't want to have anymore cheat days....
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-08, 16:34

Plan: Loose Atkins
Stats: 172/160/145 Female 170.2
BF:
Progress: 44%

Thats what I thought! I also thought... WOW my body DOES not like carbohydrates!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-08, 16:39

Since I cut out processed carbs and sugar, my asthma, acid reflux, allergies and insomnia, has gotten drastically better. I haven't needed to use my inhaler once since October 14th. It just blows my mind, just how much diet tied into how horrible I felt for so many years.

That "just one piece" of cake (or whatever other poison I am craving) may not make me put the 21 pounds back on over night, but it will make me feel sick for two days to come.

Once you get a taste of what it feels like to feel good, sugar and pasta just doesn't look so good anymore....
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-08, 18:44
Never Give Up!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Since doing Atkins for 5 months now, I cheated only once with a cupcake and brownie. No immediate ill effects, but the next day my heart burn returned.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-08, 20:23

Stats: 207/190/145 Female 5.2
BF:restart 4/24/09
Progress: 27%

I'm embarrassed to say that last night I cheated horribly on 3 slices of pizza. Not just any pizza, but my favorite pizza from a local restaurant. I don't know what happened. My skinny teenage son ordered pizza and I just went with it. I haven't done this at all since I started. But I think deep down inside I planned to fail last night. Of course, I immediately went back on plan, but I am worried that tomorrow I will start feeling really bad. Today I've been fine, but have had lots of trips to the bathroom. Hopefully I'll be fine tomorrow - I have to take an on-line test and finish a project by tomorrow night and I really don't need to be feeling bad.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-08, 20:48

Tonight was my daughter's 19th. There were burgers, mac and cheese (homemade. MMMM),baked beans and chocolate cake. I had two burgers with no bread. I passed on the cake and beans, but had a scoop of the mac and cheese. about 45 minutes later, I was vomiting. Memories of vomiting quite a bit after eating pasta and other processed carbs, came flooding back.

Processed carbs, are beginning to look like arsenic to me....

Kozy, don't be ashamed. This is a way of life, and you have to factor "setbacks" in sometime. You won't gain 15 pounds overnight from one slice of pizza. Next time, just scrape the toppings off the pizza.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-08, 23:30
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

Just a little here and there, and not weighing myself every day, and I again have 20 pounds to lose, after being at goal for a year. I can't cheat, its a slippery slope for me.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-08, 16:47

Stats: 207/190/145 Female 5.2
BF:restart 4/24/09
Progress: 27%
Default sick sick sick

Yup I feel sick today. I'm foggy from eating that pizza. But it just makes me realize that if I really want to go off, I'm going to suffer. Just like if you drink too much one night and have the hangover the next day.

It's the first time in my life that I'm actually right back on the wagon. I usually stick with a plan for, at most, 1 month and then if I cheat just keep cheating and never get back on track for months. ESPECIALLY during the holidays. All I can say is that this is the right way to eat for me. I don't feel deprived, I mostly can eat what I love, and really I don't miss the extra carbs. I haven't started to actively exercise yet, but that's just because I'm not there yet and I'll resent doing it right now. But I will get there. I have to get through one more semester of school and then I'll finally graduate college. It only took me 30 years to do it! 3 kids, 1 grandkid, plus 1 unhappy and 1 happy marriage later!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-08, 18:22

Plan: non processed food
Stats: 165/114/119 Female 5' 7.72 /1.72 m
BF:
Progress: 111%

Kozy, how wonderful that you are almost graduating from college. That's really great! Your family (including your grandchild) must be very proud of you.

After one or two days the salt and carbs of the pizza will be out of your system, you'll lose a lot of water and you'll be o.k. again. Don't worry about it. It happens to all of us.

If you graduate after 30 years, you're not going to give up after a simple pizza.