Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-18, 17:32

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%
Default Need some info

Hi.

First, let me say hello. I'm new to this forum, but not to LC. I did it succesfully for years, and was -- for a while -- an active part of a now-defunct forum like this.

Then The Year of Five Funerals happened, and things have been all downhill (and up-the-scale) since. YES, I need to get back to eathing healthy.

But here's the reason I'm here, today.

I seem to be getting GERD. (Have appt. with the gastroenterologist one week from today to find out EXACTLY what's going on.)

Now, me being me, I've tried to do research on what to eat and not eat with GERD. And what I keep hearing screamed from the rooftops is NO SATURATED FATS!!!

Of course, that is the official gov't issue dietary advice for literally everything. No saturated fats. They make everything worse.

Being LC, we know that a lot of the stuff we're told about saturated fat is wrong. (Want to have your cholesterol levels look great, like mine do? Eat lots of saturated fat!)

What I don't know is how it might affect this, and I don't -- offhand -- know where to go to get objective information.

I know that LC is supposed to help GERD, so that's good. (Look! Motivation!) What I need is accurate information about which fats to eat/avoid. If I have to give up my beloved saturated fats, I admit -- eating right is going to be a lot harder.

But I also know I'm not the only one to have dealt with this.

So who can help me out?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-18, 17:44

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Dr volek is FOR sat fats and p lenty of them. On one video he gives all the data on each type of fat, like 15 fats/oils we americans eat.

He gives all the reasons to eat these instead of the solvent produced grain oils.

He basis it on the MUFA, SUFA etc, and how the metabolic system uses these energy sources..

try this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8BY4fyLvZc
Jeff Volek: The Many Facets of Keto-Adaptation: Health, Performance, and Beyond
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-18, 17:45

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 340/144/145 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

Don't expect a lot of help from your gastro. I have a great guy, but all he wanted to do was give me meds. They are the worst thing, but I already had some damage to my esophagus, and he insisted they were necessary. Fortunately, I found out when I did an elimination diet for dairy that cheese was the sole cause of my GERD--no cheese/no GERD.

I have read of other people who found other foods that caused their GERD, so you might want to experiment and see if you can identify the trigger.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-18, 17:50

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I hope you will give dieting a chance. To drop a few pounds, getting the stress off the sphincters. Letting the good foods fix the sphyingters so they work right.

If you do a little research, those remarkable valve like controllers need the right foods to work well. After my step father died of esphageal cancer , I did a little googling. A quality diet has many effects----often GERD can be controlled and fixed. THat is what I found.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-18, 17:58

Emmie,

First and formost, I need the diagnosis -- to confirm that it's GERD, and what-all is going on. (Yup... need the endoscopy.)

Dear gods, I hope I don't have to give up dairy... It's one of the things that makes life worth living (and food worth eating).

Ms. Arielle,

I already know about good fats (natural, saturated) and bad fats (basically all the processed vegetable oil crap that gets pushed on us instead of saturated).

I'm used to ignoring medical advice on this... and, like I indicated, they all try to tell me not to, and then look at my test-levels and shake their heads and run out of things to say. ("What do you mean, you eat real butter, eggs, use heavy cream, buy pork fat.... and have cholesterol and triglyceride levels that healthy?") I know those arguments, and even how to talk the medicos through the stuff they learned in school but don't think about, to make it make sense to them.

What I need is specific information on how saturated fats affect stomach-acid production in folks with GERD. Because... I don't know on this one.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 03:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

There are more studies treating GERD successfully with standard clinic VLC diets, https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb...-reflux-disease

but there is one recent study where the type of fats were somewhat monitored but still high (1/3 saturated) and this LCHF study diet successfully treated GERD in obese women. Dietary carbohydrate intake, insulin resistance and gastro‐oesophageal reflux disease: a pilot study in European‐ and African‐American obese women
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi....1111/apt.13784

Since most foods have a mix of all three fats, (steak is high in mono-unsaturated fats along with the saturated) fats would seem difficult to control, but I'll take that study at face value.

The earlier small study in 2006 with Westman and Yancy at Duke, and a GI fellow at UNC,https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16871438
treated the trial subjects with the Duke clinic diet. Can't open the study but believe it used the standard clinic instructions, no restrictions on type of fats in protein foods, but some limits on dairy fats. https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf

Adding personal stories heard over the past eight years at the local support group meeting...relief from GERD is an often cited benefit of the clinic diet, even before patients get to goal weight (though that helps too). Following what Emmie said, my DH, who is rail thin, cured his GERD by eliminating all Wheat and grains. He still eats sugar and dairy with ice cream (because he can... darn him) but wheat desserts will trigger it. He also stopped snoring
Here's one previous thread on GERD and how stomach acid production effects it (not what most think). http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=461849 Use advanced search button to find others.
Hope you feel better My DH was on a PPI for nine years...And cured it with a wheat free diet.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jul-24-18 at 03:33.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 05:21

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 197/180/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

For me it's white flour. I would wake up in the middle of the night thinking I was having a heart attack and hope it was acid reflux. Or suffer all day and cough. When I started LC with no bread, pasta, pizza, it went away. If I have an attack now I can always trace it back to something I ate that was a bad choice.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 05:41

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I used to have terrible GERD. I took ppi's for years, thought I would never be able to live without them. I even had a surgeon recommending I have a surgical procedure called nissen fundiplication to tighten the esophogeal sphincter. Luckily I decided not to have the surgery. Then I went low carb and cut out all grains. That was about 15 years ago. Within a few days I no longer needed the ppi's and have stayed away from them ever since.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 05:52

Well, today is my attempt to get back on the wagon "for real".

Yesterday my symptoms were pretty bad. Let's see if killing the grains helps.

(The "attempt" is in there because I will be "trapped" in a coffee house that doesn't allow outside food all afternoon. We usually eat lunch elsewhere just before we walk in, and then have, maybe, a coffee-drink while there. But sometimes lunch wears off and I get hungry... First day of induction, and this is where I'm headed... the stuff we do for our kids.)

Depression and laziness have kept me getting truly "on track" for the last few years. Looks like I may have something that trumps them....

I still need to go to the doc for the diagnostics... Let's make sure that what we THINK is going on really IS.

But yeah... time to clean up my eating.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 09:06

I'd been in vague pain (not the "I think I'm dying" kind, but just sorta THERE) since yesterday.

This morning, got up... had to drive my daughter 30 miles by 9 am... so we grabbed fast-food breakfast. Sausage Egg McMuffins, minus the muffin, for me.

And after I ate them.... it didn't hurt, anymore. The thought of it repulsed me (I have "issues" with the eggs in those on a good day), and I wasn't sure I'd be able to... But I ate it, and felt better afterwards.

(In general, since this started, I've felt worse after food. I also haven't been on-plan, and have been listening too much to the "standard" advice.)

So far, so good... Good heavens, if I can beat this nightmare just by eating right (with all the other benefits that brings)
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-18, 12:03

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I don't have gerd, but digestion with fat and protein vs. fat, protein and carbs seems to be very different. I can work out minutes after eating high fat with some protein, with high fat plus carbs I have to wait hours or I'll feel queasy.