Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-18, 15:19

Plan: blood sugar 101
Stats: 185/165/165 Male 6ft
BF:
Progress:
Default low carb and now low energy

In JRs book low carb problem solved problem low energy
it reads in part...
All most people need to do is to raise their carbohydrate level enough that their diet stops being ketogenic. An intake level only slightly over 100 g of carbs a day will usually do this. Stick with this diet for a few weeks and you should find your energy level returning to normal. And you will still be getting the health benefits of low carb dieting, as that is still a very low carb intake level. What you don’t want to do is to go back to eating a high carb diet. Doing that is likely to get your blood sugar surging up and down again, which is likely to increase, rather than heal, your feelings of exhaustion.

so i just take more lantus at night? after increasing the carbs
for several years i have been on 60gms carbs a day
thanks all

Last edited by anon125 : Sun, Jul-15-18 at 17:06.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-18, 23:26

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Who is JR, and what is lantus?

You are already at your goal - I congratulate you.

If you're feeling tired -- maybe you need to decrease your carbs?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 00:36

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

There's a lot of buzz going round the net about low carbs = low energy. If that's your personal experience I can't argue with it but it certainly isn't mine. Instead of slumping after lunch and dinner as before, I'm energetic all day. I am not super low carb and I'm not sure I'm in ketosis but I try to avoid all obvious carbs, with the exception of veggies and the occasional serving of rice. There is a lot of info on this forum about the science of low carb which might be interesting for you.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 01:46
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

JR is Jenny Ruhl, and Lantus is insulin.

To the OP, have you looked into the suggestions offered in your other thread here?

60 g of carb/day is already pretty high. I would look into other issues than the total carbs. How's your sleep? How's your schedule/lifestyle - is there something stressful or exhausting? Are you eating wheat or other 'junk' carbs? Have you had a physical lately to rule out other medical causes?

Best of luck.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 05:54

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

This is the opposite of what worked for me, energy went way up when I went from Atkins OWL type eating to a stricter ketogenic diet.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 07:41

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I had the opposite effect as well. Energy up, mood up, sleep better, etc. For me, eating 60g of carbs per day would be too much, as I am usually well below 20g. I would focus Kristine's observations and suggestions, as there may be multiple things at play here. Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 07:52

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Where are you? Could the weather be affecting you? When the heat and humidity hit the high 80's my energy is sapped. I did notice yesterday that I was without my usual energy and yet hit a new body weight low. Today is not much better. On LC my energy is normally great--so I am pointing my finger at the hot and humid weather. Maybe you too?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 09:53

Plan: blood sugar 101
Stats: 185/165/165 Male 6ft
BF:
Progress:

thanks everyone
Kristine:Thanks - had a checkup and the doc shrugs shoulders.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-19, 09:38

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

"Stick with it for a few weeks and you'll find your energy level returning to normal."
Damn. I'm only back on Day 6, and I feel drained. A 'few weeks' seems daunting...
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-19, 13:35

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Are you getting enough water and electrolytes - Na, K & Mg? The diuretic effect of LC without consuming enough water and salts is usually the cause of "Atkins/LC flu" and low energy feelings, not a lack of nap-inducing carbs. It also takes a week or two to switch over to fat burning, longer if you eat more than 20g carbs. I do best on <20g or at least <30g carbs. More than that makes me crave more carbs and feel tired.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-19, 19:10

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I'm drinking 64oz of water a day, or sometimes more. I'm using an app to help me log it. I'm using salt too. I sure don't feel like napping-- in fact, I do feel more energized. And it's messing up my sleep too-- I haven't had a good night's sleep for the past 3 days now. But it's ok.

I'm managing. I'm on Day 6. Went to my dr. and even though it was a different scale than the one I originally weighed on when I started, I am down 6 lbs so far. Very happy with that!

I'm going to keep going!!