Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 15:14

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/130/130 Female 173 cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Can someone explain me water retention and sodium?

So I am very interested in starting keto diet, and have been doing lots of research. I am not doing it due to any wish of losing weight, but instead I have dealt alot with water retention lately. I have felt bloated, my face has looked puffy and tired, and I guess my diet have not been the best lately.
I have never really done keto completely, but I have been low carbing long time ago, where I really remembered how it helped with bloating and water retention…

BUT: as I have looked into the diet, I see a lot of people suggesting and emphasizing the importance of getting sodium on this diet. In my case, as I really have felt bloated and mainly wanna do this diet to kind of shed the water retention and bloat, won’t the sodium that are alot of in the keto diet then offset the otherwise drop of water weight that follows with decreasing carbs?

Sorry if it sounds confusing or stupid, but I am not really sure about how all this functions… I just really wanna feel less bloated, and I am afraid that the sodium will do, that I don’t see any difference…
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 18:04

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

When you put good quality foods into your body the internal working start to get back to normal. With high carb diets we are causing inflammation in the body, which is fluid retension.

As the body reorganizes, the fluids start to kick out. Thar effects the many minerals in the body, aka salts. Each tissue in the body has a predominant type and the body is designed to have equalibrium.... but with all the fluids leaving it needs to reorganize.

If the body does not get its daily supply of each and every one of these minerals, it will pull from the supply and cause an upset in another tissue because blood must be kept in balance, while other tissues can be sacrificed.

So eat your salt, get a daily supply of magnesium citrate, eat your potassium as a salt ( low salt).

I prefer low salt as it has both potassium and sodium in one supply. AND a seasalt has a boat load of microminerals.

A big salad of leafy greens can supply a great deal of the postassium according to dr berg, but I find I cannot eat the volume he recommends so I depend on the salts.

THere is a great thread called EAT YOUR SALT, hopefully someone will give you a link for it.

( I would get horrific debilitating full leg cramps--incentive to eat my salt before the cramps start up at night.)
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-18, 10:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back, An. You asked the same questions about the same time last year...could it be a result of your weather now? High humidity here in the South now. Low carb worked for you in the past (you can see previous posts under user name) going "Keto" may not make much difference for water retention. When you cut out the starchy carbs before, it appeared your bloating reduced. Maybe it is a food you added back? Wheat flour? rice? other grains? dairy? Think of what you have eaten the past two months that you didn’t when staying strict low carb. Any medications? Have you tried natural diuretics? For example, caffeinated tea or coffee, lemon juice, asparagus, some fruits, etc.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jul-08-18 at 14:44.