Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-18, 17:58

Plan: blood sugar 101
Stats: 185/165/165 Male 6ft
BF:
Progress:
Default can one have too low carb?

is the sign of too few carbs just lost weight?
we dont have the energy we used to have a year ago.
thanks all
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-18, 03:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi.

"Too few carbs" does not necessarily mean "too much weight loss." There are plenty of very-low-carb/zero-carb folks who have been in maintenance for years.

Off the top of my head, a common reason for low energy on a LC diet is insufficient sodium and potassium, especially if you're cooking your own foods and not using a lot of commercially-prepared products. Most of us have to make sure we're generous with the salt shaker and I use "No Salt", which is potassium salt. It's the easiest/cheapest way to bump up your potassium intake. Don't waste your money on 99 mg pills.

...but there's a myriad of reasons why you might feel like you don't have the energy you used to - not all of them related to diet at all. Can you record the details of what you eat for a few days for some better feedback?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-18, 04:51
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

anon125, Sorry to hear that you aren't experiencing loads of energy...

I've been doing around 5 carbs or less a day for 5 years now (5 July = my last and final restart) and I have energy to the max, no cravings/temptations etc...

I know experienced & knowledgeable peeps like Kristine (esp about the scientific aspect of LC or ZC) will pop in and give you more info...

Best wishes!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-18, 05:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon125
is the sign of too few carbs just lost weight?
we dont have the energy we used to have a year ago.
thanks all

You might look at Dr. Eric Berg's videos on youtube. He has a video or two on this subject. I think that being low on some minerals would do this.

I see that Kristine answered this also...I agree with her.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-18, 05:44

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Off the top of my head, a common reason for low energy on a LC diet is insufficient sodium and potassium, especially if you're cooking your own foods and not using a lot of commercially-prepared products. Most of us have to make sure we're generous with the salt shaker and I use "No Salt", which is potassium salt. It's the easiest/cheapest way to bump up your potassium intake. Don't waste your money on 99 mg pills...
I learn so much everyday here.

#6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-18, 09:08

BF:
Progress:

thanks everyone
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-18, 12:32

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I had a neighbor who was on South Beach for quite a while. Evidently she felt so bad that her DH took her to the emergency room to find out that she was dangerously low in sodium.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-18, 12:33
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

In my opinion, it's not really possible to be too low carb. The lower the better. As low as you can be happy with. The body will function just fine without any carbs from the diet.

If you are doing zero carb, then I would just make sure you are getting all the micronutrients and minerals you need via organ meats or supplements.

I do like the veggie options you can have if you do 20-50g carbs though, which is what I'm doing. It provides that extra variety which makes the diet more sustainable over the long-term for me.

But health-wise I'd rather be in deeper ketosis.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-18, 08:40

BF:
Progress:

thanks for your help
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-18, 09:47

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

Your body needs a certain amount of carbs everyday for brain function. If you're not eating enough carbs to support that your body can turn protein and even fat into glucose. Cool hey?

I'm eating Under 12 net carbs a day. I'm more concerned about getting enough electrolytes minerals and stuff like that. If you use a tracking app like cronometer you can get a decent idea of what you're lacking.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-18, 10:16

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I will be the voice of dissent in this. Many people thrive on ultra low carb diets. I didnt. I tried repeatedly and always suffered from dizziness, weakness, fatigue, was unable to get through my mountain trail races, etc....
I do best at about 35 net (i subtract fiber), no lower for more than a day or two.

Granted- it could have been an electrolyte issue-but I do take great care to get sodium and potassium and supplement magnesium. But I have struggled with my electrolytes enough to require 2 hospital stays.
Keeping my carbs up a bit has made keeping those electrolytes in balance much easier.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-18, 11:20

BF:
Progress:

is 60grams of carb a day for a 180lb guy still low carb?
i have found lots of sites with their own definition of low carb.
thanks all
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-18, 04:22

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, anon125. Yes, 60 grams of carbs per day is still low.

Dr. Lutz's Life Without Bread, Barry Groves' recommendations, and Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's recommendations are at about that level. Dr. Lutz recommends for people who have serious health challenges, or who are older, to start around 100 grams per day, and slowly work one's way down, over weeks or months. There is a short description of Dr. Lutz's plan here:
http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...hout-bread.html

If our goal is optimal health, then discovering what is optimal for ourselves, at each stage of life, is key.

I do best in the 28 - 35 grams per day range. If I eat more carbs, that triggers appetite, and gives the symptoms I get from too many carbs.

If I go below that level, I don't do well at all. It feels as though my body is working too hard, struggling.

Dr. Atkins wrote in his books about finding the Critical Carb level, for losing weight, and for maintaining.

I have found, for myself, that there is a Critical Protein level, and a Critical Fat level, too.

Best wishes to all.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-18, 11:53
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Chronic lack of protein is an energy killer. I try for at least 80 grams/day. Four chicken drumsticks or equivalent from other sources like fish. Also some organ meats/offal like liver are important.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-18, 09:31

BF:
Progress:

thanks everyone.
we have 5grams a slice bread made at home