Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-28-16, 08:06

Plan: None yet
Stats: 240/235/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Almond flour substitute?

I am about to start the Diet Doctor plan,hopefully the lowest level of carbs if I can stand that. Almost all the bread recipes use almond flour. I hate almonds! Does the flour taste like almonds? If it does,is there a neutral-flavored alternative? I suspect coconut flour tastes like coconut, which would be OK for some things but not all. I apologize if this has been discussed before but the search function doesn't work for me. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-28-16, 09:28

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I have used almond flour once or twice (yes, it tastes a bit like almonds, which I happen to like). The same with coconut flour (tastes a lot like coconuts).

I've leave suggestions of other flours to others as I don't do much low carb baking.

Which takes me to my main suggestion: low carb flour is not required for LC eating. I find that LC baked treats usually fall short of the sugary/floury things I grew up with and leave me wanting "the real thing".

I find LC to be more satisfying in the long run if I stick to what's great about LC: good meats, poultry, and fish containing their natural fat and/or skin; fresh vegetables cooked simply with some fat to enhance the flavor (if you've not been roasting veggies in olive oil or coconut oil, you're in for a treat). That is the foundation of Low Carb for me and beginning my 14th year, I still find it quite satisfying.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-28-16, 10:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Lupin flour? I bought it at netrition.com. There's also peanut flour, a bit higher in carbs than lupin. Note: None of these will taste anything like wheat flour. If that's what you're expecting, you'll be disappointed.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-28-16, 11:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi and welcome.

When it comes to low-carb baked goods, I strongly suggest against any substitutions in recipes. I'm not familiar with the recipes on that site, but if almond flour doesn't sound appealing to you, do without. Go cold turkey off the baked goods. All you need to be successful on LC - and arguably to have the fastest weight loss - is a basic clean plan of mostly meats, fats, eggs, and veggies.

That said, I don't find almond flour very almond-y at all. I'm not much of a nut fan. I've made almond flour cookies and they tasted mainly of the vanilla extract in them. I've also done coconut flour cookies. Coconut flour does have a fairly strong coconut flavour if it's the main flour, but it's still a staple in my kitchen. I love using it in meatballs, burger patties, and salmon patties. You barely notice any flavour but the texture is amazing. Check out our Kitchen Forums for more info and recipes.

Best of luck.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-28-16, 12:58

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
When it comes to low-carb baked goods, I strongly suggest against any substitutions in recipes.

Ditto. I found that substituting lc "breads" was usually a bad idea. But if you really need them, coconut flour has fewer carbs. I don't care for coconut, but the flour doesn't have a strong taste. One bread-like sub I've found that doesn't cause cravings for me is crepes made with eggs and either mayo or cream cheese (I've read that cream also works - my non-lc son makes them with sugar).

For every egg, whisk in 1 tablespoon of mayo or 1 oz of softened cream cheese. Cook over low heat in a non-stick pan.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-28-16, 17:02
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 182/176/176 Male 182cm
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutzy
I am about to start the Diet Doctor plan,hopefully the lowest level of carbs if I can stand that. Almost all the bread recipes use almond flour. I hate almonds! Does the flour taste like almonds? If it does,is there a neutral-flavored alternative? I suspect coconut flour tastes like coconut, which would be OK for some things but not all. I apologize if this has been discussed before but the search function doesn't work for me. Thanks!

You could try macadamia flour maybe? That has a fairly neutral flavor, although it does have a negative point: it's a little expensive...
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-16, 02:15

Plan: None yet
Stats: 240/235/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Thanks everyone for your help and tips! I mainly want to be prepared in case I feel desperate for some bread. I just cleaned out my cupboards and I start today. Wish me luck!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-16, 10:05

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Good luck, Klutzy. You will definitely be going through a transition period, but once you're through it, will probably feel better than you have since you were a kid.

I see you are not following any particular plan, but are following Diet Doctor - that's a good start. You've probably already read this, but do not underestimate the need for additional salt (up to 1 tsp per day) while eating low carb. Read and re-read his tips for starting out.

As for feeling desperate for bread, those feelings are generally fleeting. Don't blow it by giving in.

Better to distract yourself: go for a short walk, eat some salty olives, phone a friend, start that novel you've been putting off for decades, re-read Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat or start his new book, The Case Against Sugar, or just settle in for a nap if you are tired.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-16, 16:12
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 182/176/176 Male 182cm
BF:

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your help and tips! I mainly want to be prepared in case I feel desperate for some bread. I just cleaned out my cupboards and I start today. Wish me luck!

Have a search for something called cloud bread; it's not quite the same taste, but it might help satisfy the bread cravings!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-16, 14:30

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Also, 90 second bread is awesome. It is made with almond flour, but I don't find it tastes like almonds. I grind my own unsalted, unpeeled almonds in a coffee grinder to make the flour. It's cheaper and I find the bread very much like wheat bread. I only have it occasionally when I want a real sandwich and it'is good! http://pin.it/3f23PYZ
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-16, 15:42

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccat69
Also, 90 second bread is awesome. It is made with almond flour, but I don't find it tastes like almonds. I grind my own unsalted, unpeeled almonds in a coffee grinder to make the flour. It's cheaper and I find the bread very much like wheat bread. I only have it occasionally when I want a real sandwich and it'is good! http://pin.it/3f23PYZ

How does this work with coconut flour? I'd need a little more, right? I can never remember which one absorbs more liquid.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 08:57

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:

Good luck! I note that your weight is the same as my starting weight 12 years ago. I've maintained a 150-ish weight for at least 10 years now, through a masters degree program, starting a new career, birth of grandchildren, and menopause. You can do this!