Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-18, 16:16

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I find my interest in highly palatable foods increases as I get to a lower body weight--but the lower carb, less insulinogenic my diet is, even controlling protein, the less of a problem this is. Self control is nice, finding the off switch for the cravings is nicer.

If I overeat just a little, I feel like I had a Thankgiving dinner. I used to have to eat a Thanksgiving dinner to feel like that.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-18, 18:38

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

To me, "willpower" is just an indication of how strong your ability is to white-knuckle it through on a diet that leaves you hungry, weak, and irritable.

On a starvation or semi-starvation diet, it really does take white-knuckling it through (true will-power) to stick to it, just like in the nursery rhyme, when the bough breaks, the baby will fall - when your ability to white knuckle it breaks, the willpower will fall.

BLE obviously is a high volume diet, and isn't intended to be one of those diets that force you to be hungry all the time, simply because of how many veggies and beans they want you to eat. So I'm sure it helps significantly that your stomach stays full so long from all that fiber. As long as you're not someone who would have a massive roller coaster blood sugar reaction to all the carbs involved, then it should work fine, just like it's working for cshepherd's SIL.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-18, 19:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201.2/195.2/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

I think that the problem with carbs is that you never seem sated. You may be feeling physically full, but you still want something more. Carbs are never enough. That's the nature of the stuff. A documentary I watched had one doctor stating that that is the reason that the SAD relies so heavily on carbs; you are perpetually hungry so you keep buying food. I guess it's another case of "follow the money".
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-18, 05:05

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaygirl
I think that the problem with carbs is that you never seem sated. You may be feeling physically full, but you still want something more. Carbs are never enough. That's the nature of the stuff.
That's definitely my experience with carbs - I could eat massive quantities of carbs, my stomach would be hurting because it was so full and distended, but I'd still feel hungry. After couple of hours, the excessive fullness would abate a bit, and I wasn't just hungry, I was ravenous again. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum, all due to the effect of all those carbs on my blood sugar/insulin. (I'm no scientist, so I know I oversimplify it)
Quote:
A documentary I watched had one doctor stating that that is the reason that the SAD relies so heavily on carbs; you are perpetually hungry so you keep buying food. I guess it's another case of "follow the money".

We all know what a trip through the grocery store is like - aisles and aisles of sugar and starch, with very little actual food. The stores would be about 1/10 of their current size if all they sold was actual food (even allowing a couple aisles for paper products, cleaning supplies, and toiletries), instead of just sugar and starch based "products".

It always amazes me the sheer volume of food so many people buy - some on a daily basis - simply because most of what they're buying is nothing more than sugar and starch. It's no wonder they need to buy so much to eat, because they never feel satisfied.