Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-20, 16:37

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%
Default Low carb diet may prevent, reverse age-related effects

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020...ed-effects.html

Quote:
A study using neuroimaging led by Stony Brook University professor and lead author Lilianne R. Mujica-Parodi, Ph.D., and published in PNAS, reveals that neurobiological changes associated with aging can be seen at a much younger age than would be expected, in the late 40s. However, the study also suggests that this process may be prevented or reversed based on dietary changes that involve minimizing the consumption of simple carbohydrates
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-20, 18:00
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Bredesen Protocol for Alzheimer's
Wahl's Protocol for MS
Perlmutter's Protocol for Parkinson's
Not to mention the treatment of childhood epilepsy (when drugs don't work)

There are lots of doctors helping people with ketogenic diets.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-20, 18:51

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I've read Alzheimer's referred to as "Type 3 Diabetes" in more than one publication.

I've also read a few things relating to ketones helping Parkinson's people.

But the for profit medical business makes it's money on pushing pills and not advising the patients on good diet. Since it is "for profit", all you have to do to find motivation is to follow the money.

And looking at the physical shape of many of the doctors I see, they are not eating a healthy diet themselves. The information the doctors get is largely from the Big Med industries, so that's what they learn. Many of them don't know how to help you or themselves with anything that Big Medicine doesn't offer.

Not all though. The doctor that gave me the arthritis/bursitis diet helped me walk from 2 blocks maximum to 4 miles easily.

Bob
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-20, 02:51

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
And looking at the physical shape of many of the doctors I see, they are not eating a healthy diet themselves. The information the doctors get is largely from the Big Med industries, so that's what they learn. Many of them don't know how to help you or themselves with anything that Big Medicine doesn't offer.

Sadly so. However, it makes the knowledge a powerful motivator if they do discover it, as many doctors are now going public about. Then again, how many who shilled for Big Tobacco, back in the day, smoked themselves, even as they lied about its effects? People can have incredible capacities for denial.

I know most of the people exclaiming over my transformed self would react to the way I eat now as bizarre! and extreme! And yet I got nods from the whole office when the subject of food sensitivities came up, and I said, "In our culture, we eat everything, so how could anyone tell?"

Last edited by WereBear : Fri, Mar-06-20 at 06:19. Reason: typo
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-20, 06:04

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

If this claim of reversing age-related effects has legs and gets further corroboration, we will see people run, not walk, to embrace the fountain of youth that is low carb.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-20, 10:09

BF:

I also think in the majority of people our main drives (food and/or sex) rule over our intellect and logic.

How many people know eating those donuts (or whatever) are bad for them, suffer consequences due to their eating habits, but still are attracted to and eat them?

The cheating spouse knows he/she can ruin their happy marriage and life, but their drive doesn't keep them faithful

Smoking (a food substitute) is known to be bad, but people still do it.

Eating wild game in many parts of the world serves as a jumping point for diseases like SARS and COVID and we all have been told, but they seek it out anyway.

I guess it's human nature.

Some of us can use our brains control some or all of our drives to what we hope is our ultimate benefit. I think many of us on this forum are in that group.

Bob
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-20, 10:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I also think in the majority of people our main drives (food and/or sex) rule over our intellect and logic.

I think it's because people have to be taught how to do that. The number of people who can't recognize, name, and claim their emotions is probably the majority, as you said.

Also, the more stress a person deals with, the more trouble they have with focus and control. Support is vital for maturation, and we often don't get it until well into our twenties, by our own hand. Eventually.

We just don't have support, in a consumer society, for good sense to make sense.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-20, 19:56

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Eating wild game in many parts of the world serves as a jumping point for diseases like SARS and COVID and we all have been told, but they seek it out anyway.
If the choice is between dying from malnutrition/starvation or risking eating whatever potentially diseased critter is crawling around that's protein, yes the drive for food is a strong one. But the risk ratio in that case to me seems logical.

Last edited by Zei : Fri, Mar-06-20 at 20:10.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-20, 04:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
If the choice is between dying from malnutrition/starvation or risking eating whatever potentially diseased critter is crawling around that's protein, yes the drive for food is a strong one. But the risk ratio in that case to me seems logical.

But that's not what happened. It's local superstition about eating certain parts of wild animals that traced the outbreak to a certain Chinese market. The rich are behind this; not the poor.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-20, 10:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei

I agree, if only that were the case.

Most of the wild game trade is because of ancient beliefs that if you eat some animals you will absorb magical powers from it. --- Like eating Rhino horn to solve E.D. or eating bats to have a happy and long life.

When I was in China a guide told me that some women eat cheese to get bigger breasts (the association with the cow's udder).

Since the mid 20th century, China modernized agriculture enough to be able to feed themselves.

I understand in Africa eating monkeys have some kind of magical benefit (I forget just what was claimed).

And I can't blame just foreign people for being superstitious, we in the USA have our own superstitions, they just don't involve eating wild animals that I know of.

Bob
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-20, 12:45

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I see. I had thought you meant rodents and the like.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 08:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
I see. I had thought you meant rodents and the like.

I'm sure there is a superstition about eating rats providing some benefit to you.

We aren't that primitive, we choose "miracle in a bottle" commercial products with their own kind of poisons to make us young again, put 'lead in our pencils' or attract a lover.

Nothing changes but the technology

Bob
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 08:54
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
If this claim of reversing age-related effects has legs and gets further corroboration, we will see people run, not walk, to embrace the fountain of youth that is low carb.
The only flaw in that logic is that humans don't actually believe they will ever get old and sick because there's a little button in the brain. That button is depressed when we're born and doesn't pop up until we're well into old age. "I will never die," it tells us.

Even though my first use of LCHF eating was in 1972 and it worked brilliantly for me, I remained in denial. I engaged every dietary plan I could find that didn't limit my carbs. I was so young then that I didn't even consider becoming old. IMO, that is also human nature.

Most people in my age group are old and sick. Luckily, I came back around to LCHF and have so far managed to save myself. Not certain how old this body would test, my recent DEXA scan shows "Compared with prior exam of 1/3/2012, the bone mineral density of the lumbar spine has increased 7.6%, and the bilateral total hips are not significantly changed."

I eat to Therapeutic Ketosis levels.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 09:23

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Glenda, that's good news regarding the bone density increase. Yes, when I was in my early twenties and convinced of my immortality, I did not focus on anything related to an increased lifespan. As I got older, had kids, and started thinking more about how much I wanted to take measures to ensure I was around for a while, it became important and probably started me toward adopting a healthier lifestyle. In those days, however, the mantra for low fat, high carb was going on with a vengeance. We didn't know what we didn't know. I'm convinced that today people have healthy lifestyle options that were considered dangerous in the past. I'm convinced that today some are thinking about lifespan at an age when taking action can make a huge difference.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-20, 09:40
Doing My Best

We all hope that people will see the value in our WOE, and in time for them to have a healthy and active old age rather than a sick one. I don't even try to spread the word anymore. People seem to be as polarized around diet as they are on politics and religion.

All we can do is be available to share the information we've accrued over a lifetime when people express the desire to know.