Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-19-15, 16:51

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Oprah is starting a new diet and she has a lot of money in it

Quote:
Oprah Winfrey will buy 10 percent of Weight Watchers International Inc. and join its board, giving the struggling provider of weight-loss programs a jolt of star power as it works to fend off cheaper digital rivals.
... As part of the deal, Winfrey also has signed up with a Weight Watchers program and will share her experiences along the way.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-in-partnership
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-19-15, 18:06

Plan: , LCHF
Stats: 259.6/222.4/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67.2/60.2/normal
Progress: 29%

Good for her. She has struggled with her weight for so long, I hope WW is her solution.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 07:37

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

From her behavior she's not interested in a solution, and really prefers the churn of the diet roller coaster. There's more money in that and LOTS of followers. WW is perfect for that.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 07:52
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
From her behavior she's not interested in a solution, and really prefers the churn of the diet roller coaster. There's more money in that and LOTS of followers. WW is perfect for that.

Ha! Well said!!

Based on some of the comments in other online articles, many people have little to no respect for her now.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 08:01

Plan: Primal/Paleo Atkins
Stats: 197.5/126/132 Female 63
BF:19.4%
Progress: 109%

I have tons of respect for her b/c she keeps on trying. As a now 70 y.o. woman who struggled w/weight all my life and finally found my solution at age 64, I know all too well how it felt to fail and fail and fail and keep trying.

Personally, I don't like WW because of their additive laden food, but I hope she finds a solution that works for her.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 08:25
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Years ago - after seeing Oprah's 2nd or 3rd weight loss/regain cycle -- I remember thinking... "Wow, if a billionaire - with all of her resources - cannot figure out how to take the weight off and keep it off, then what hope do I have?" The multitudes may have no respect for her, but I actually feel for her regarding her weight issues. I can certainly identify with her struggle. She just happens to be a very public example of the futility of traditional "dieting" as the means to maintaining a healthy weight. All the money in the world will not buy more willpower. It won't keep you from raiding the pantry or the fridge when the cravings call and you can no longer resist.

Unfortunately, WW is a willpower heavy 'diet'. I know I could not do it. I tried it for about 6 months and lost only 25 pounds -- starving every day. Perhaps it has changed some since I last tried it in the early 90's. With this resource boost, WW could really have an impact if they could just 'see the light' and reformulate the diet to put carbs in their place. One can only dream.

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Oct-20-15 at 13:09.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 08:51

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I hope she's successful. I think the problem with Oprah is the experts with which she surrounds herself. Sure, you can eat the way Dr. Oz or WW tells you to and lose weight, but it's not an easy road and recidivism runs high. Perhaps the problem with having billions of dollars and being on the weight loss roller coaster is that you have access to any expert in the world, so you choose those with the most conventional wisdom.

I'm lucky. I'm not a billionaire, so I didn't have the luxury of finding the "foremost authorities." I had to look for myself, so it lessened the "noise" coming from all the others.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 09:01

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think the stock prices of WW went through the roof yeserday after they announced her investment.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 09:07

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Oprah cycles but I think she's kept off quite a bit of weight since she first lost a lot of weight which is a victory any day in my book. If you lost 100 pounds and regain 60, that's better than many people do.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 09:27

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I commented on this in my journal this morning. I also admire Oprah for many reasons. But this latest investment is surely an investment in personal motivation. It will work, for as long as Oprah works it. She has to for the next several years anyway.
Quote:
She just happens to be a very public example of the futility of traditional "dieting" as the means maintaining a healthy weight. All the money in the world will not buy more willpower. It won't keep you from raiding the pantry or the fridge when the cravings call and you can no longer resist.
We all know that every weight loss plan works. Oprah has shown us most of them. But sustainability is almost superhuman.

Just as an aside, I believe that "obesity" as a chronic challenge is way different from "losing a few pounds" that you may have put on during the ordinary course of life. Oprah, like many others, has way more than a CI/CO problem. She won't solve it with Weight Watchers.

Best wishes.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 12:32

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

The truth is that she is going to say she is on WW, but really she is on this site and will start following the HFLC rules combine with some exercising and then say it was all WW.

Now how crazy would that be?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 12:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow... it must be nice to be able to make a stock double in value simply by buying it. :\
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 13:56

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

In 2011, WW was valued over $80. Yesterday it "soared" , almost "doubling" to $13 and change!
Just in 2015 WW was down 73%, so star power only goes so far to revive a dying business model.
Read something about a new focus on "health" since WW does not want to tie themselves to having Oprah actually lose weight.
Has she really never tried WW before and failed?add...

57% of WW was owned by short sellers before The Oprah effect kicked in, so much of the upward price move is from a short squeeze. Analysts aren't convinced. Barclay's analyst said..."regardless of Ms Winfry...a well-designed new program is necessary for the company's success". Yeah, like one that actually works without constant hunger.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Oct-21-15 at 05:14.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-15, 22:57

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I think one thing that is sad about Oprah is how she's presented her weight to the world. There are many thousands of women of her weight (I mean, really, she is not that big) who are taking care of their health in real ways like low carb but she has such a bizarre attitude for a mature adult and it's all about a plan or relying on experts instead of herself. She's admitted to having starved herself to stay thin. And Dr. Oz? Really? It's a shame she's been so influential because it's an infantilizing way to approach life. Reaching for WW portions is literally like measuring up a baby's formula. I think she stayed very thin for so long because she could maintain that not eating schedule to promote her brand, but that only lasts for so long.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-15, 02:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Why is Oprah still trying to sell women weight loss self-help?

http://m.dailylife.com.au/health-an...027-gkjycb.html

From an Austrailian writer on women's issues, including health and diet industry.

Since Oprah's purchase the stock has dithered around $16.50, so a return to $80 will be long road. The realization that the meeting and fake food plans don't work would seem to be a part of self-help.