Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-20-13, 19:19
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Lemon Coconut Fat Bombs

This recipe was inspired by a Lemon Fat Bomb recipe posted by Widget over on LowCarbFriends forums: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/l...n-fat-bomb.html. I subbed in coconut cream for the sour cream; subbed in lemon zest for the extract. I added coconut, and also increased lemon juice quite a bit, as I wanted them pretty tart! These have a WONDERFUL punch of lemon and a subtle flavor of coconut. They are a delightful sweet treat for any low-carber! My thanks to Widget for this idea! These will definitely make my regular dessert recipe rotations. Not acceptable however until the nuts and seeds rung of the Atkins OWL carb ladder. I had to use a larger than usual mold to make these and it only made 12 (my smaller candy mold was in the freezer with a chocolate version not yet set). I will not make these “candies” this large in future. I’m cutting the big ones in half actually. So I have worked up the nutritional information for 24 pieces of “candy” as that size makes much more sense to me for candy. I see a lime-coconut version next time…..or cherry, or rum-raisin, or lime, or……………….!

INGREDIENTS:

1 stick unsalted butter
3/4 c. coconut oil
1 oz. unsweetened, shredded coconut
zest of 2 small lemons
juice of 2 small lemons
4 oz. cream cheese
¼ c. coconut cream (kind with no added sugar)
sweetener of your choice to taste

DIRECTIONS: Soften cream cheese however you prefer to do that. Set aside. Melt butter and coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add zest and lemon juice and stir. Add coconut. Add coconut cream and finally, the soft cream cheese. Whip all ingredients with a whisk until as smooth as you can get it. Don’t worry if the cream cheese appears to separate, as that will not be noticed in the final frozen candies. Slowly add your sweetener tasting as you do so until you get it as sweet as you like such things. Remember if you use sweeteners with carbs, you must add those to the numbers below. Using a 2 T. measuring cup or spoon, dip mixture evenly into 24 candy mold slots (if using silicon molds, set them on a metal pan so the liquid will not spill when lifted) or into paper or foil liners designed for making candy. Transfer to the freezer for 30 or more minutes, seeing that the mold is level in the freezer. Pop them out when set and ENJOY right from the freezer! Store the leftover candies in a plastic bag in your freezer until ready to eat.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 24 small candies about 1½” x 1½”, each one will have:

122 calories
13.7 g fat
.91 g carbs, .29 g fiber, .62 g NET CARBS
.5 g protein
15.3 mg sodium
19 mg potassium
7.1% RDA Vitamin A, <10% all other macronutrients
(For those interested, entire recipe contains 2929 calories, 329 g fat, 21.8 g carbs, 6.9 g fiber, 14.9 g net carbs, 12 g protein)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-20-13, 19:48

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Looks great Peggy! I think I'll make these later in the week when I plan to do a couple days of fat fast.

I had planned to make a fat bomb recipe from wifezilla:

http://wifezillasway.blogspot.com/2...-fat-bombs.html

They're coconut/almond/chocolate. Maybe I'll make both.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-20-13, 20:34

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%

subscribing, these look awesome
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-20-13, 21:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/189/145 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 56%

These look delicious!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-21-13, 04:18

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

"Sweetener to taste" always throws me. I've had some notable disasters! Can you give me an approximate sugar equivalency as a starting point?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-21-13, 05:48
Registered Member

Plan: Hflc
Stats: 150/138/130 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles
These look delicious!

They do indeed. I'll need some frozen snacks pretty soon.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-21-13, 08:39
Patience Personified

B2W, those look good, too!

JLx, on sweetener, there's no raw egg, so just stick your finger in and taste. Every brand of every type of sweetener is different. THAT I have learned in 4 years. I use KAL brand pure stevia extract powder and I just put 2 shakes from my shaker canister with 1 tiny hole in it. No telling what that is equivalent to. The mixture wasn't sweet enough at that point, so then I squirted 2 squirts of liquid "Sucralose to Go" I buy at Walmart, and then it tasted about right for me. I do think mixtures of sweeteners work best. I just couldn't tell you much more than that.

Hubby and I ate one of these late last night and I can tell you, they get harder over time in the freezer (because that lemon juice really freezes hard), but I'm still very impressed with these frozen "candies". It was hubby's first taste and he really liked these, too!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-21-13, 10:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 271/271/185 Female 5'5"
BF:blimpoma
Progress: 0%

Going to make these soon! YUM!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-25-13, 23:01

Plan: No Sugar, No Starch Diet
Stats: 250/230/195 Male 74"
BF:38.5%/29%/25%
Progress: 36%

I made some of these today. I put them in muffin tins and put into freezer then had to soften them by puttung muffin tin into another filled with hot water to release them. What do you use for the molds? My method wastes far too much of this precious mixture separating them from the tins.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-26-13, 14:03
Patience Personified

For frozen treats and candies, I always use silicone molds (cupcakes, candy molds, these were done in protein bar silicone pans). Any shape will do, however. The silicone bakeware is flexible and you can pop the goodies right out with a push from the bottom. Before the advent of silicone molds, I always made my frozen treats in plastic ice cube trays and just set them on the counter a couple minutes and did a bit of a twist to release the treats. Either method will work for you. You can find a lot of silicone candy molds at Hobby Lobby in the candy-making area.

I hope you liked them and thought to spoon the "stuck bits" our so none actually went to waste. Sorry they stuck to the metal though. Aggravating, I know....been there with muffins. Just bought myself 2 silicone muffins pans last week, in fact. Tired of sticking muffins, and mine even stick to paper liners! Hope you next batch pops right out easily with these suggestions.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-26-13, 19:07

Plan: No Sugar, No Starch Diet
Stats: 250/230/195 Male 74"
BF:38.5%/29%/25%
Progress: 36%

Thanks. I picked up some silicone ice cube trays today. They look like they will work great. Nice size and just as you mentioned I can push up on the bottom or twist to free them. Might just go make some chocolate ones tonight.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-26-13, 20:00
Patience Personified

This is the chocolate fat bomb recipe I always use: http://lowcarbbetterhealth.blogspot.../fat-bombs.html

You could sub in peanut butter for the almond butter for another variation.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-13, 10:44

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Hi Peggy,

I'm trying to get back to being dairy-free again but I had just enough cream cheese left to make a batch of these - yum! I forgot to put in the shredded coconut, but they didn't seem to be lacking anything.

While I was making them I was bothered by the separation of the oil from the cream cheese, even though you said it wouldn't matter in the end. I thought I'd try emulsifying them with a hand blender and it worked beautifully! Not only did the fat get emulsified into the cream cheese, but it got light and fluffy like cheesecake batter. They definitely need freezing to remove them from the molds.

I would call them lemon cheesecake fat bombs. They taste a lot more like cheesecake than coconut to me. Thanks for the recipe. If I stick to dairy-free, as I should, this will be my last dairy hurrah.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-13, 07:40
Patience Personified

Glad you liked them Allison. Yes, they remind me of cheesecake, too. Good luck with your "dairy free" efforts. I tried it for 4-6 months but just couldn't eliminate. Did reduce my dairy dramatically, however.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-13, 08:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I bet we could make these puppies dairy-free. I'm thinking by using more fat and something like the solids from a can of coconut cream from Trader Joe's.