Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 09:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 243/217/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default No Loss For 2 Weeks

This is my first post. I have been on Atkins for 3 weeks, the first week I lost 7 lbs. I thought this was FINALLY a diet that would "work". I have not had ANY additional loss.

I am following the program exactly. I've reduced my carbs to 20/day. I feel great, have more energy and even feel more mentally alert but I can't get the scale to move. Week 2 I started walking 30 minutes/day, 5 days a week - still no loss.

I have been eating mostly skinless/boneless chicken breasts, I use mayonnaise and full-fat dressings but I am wondering if I am not eating enought fat.

I have read other posts and see other people lose slowly too, but I am not progressing at all!

I am looking for suggestins, anything that may have helped others to get the scale moving down. I am considering doing the "fat fast", I already bought all of the things I need and hope that will FINALLY get me going again.

Thanks for reading - I know this is long. I appreciate any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 12:06
Registered Member

Plan: atkins, carb addicts
Stats: 190/176/148
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default eat fat and red meat

I have yo yoed and what got the scale going down was I cut way down on splenda and I exercised more and I am drinking all kinds of water. It is surprising too that if I go off of it and start again after a few days my weight instantly starts going down again, but it is so hard after going off of it to get back on it. I also know everyone on this site encourages one another to not get on the scale so much because inches are being lost and so maybe trying on clothes that have been tight may be more encouraging as they become more and morel loose. There are several people in this lowcarb forum who feel the way you do about the scales so read through some entries and be encouraged. I moved my scales downstairs to the laundry room so I wont jump on them all day everyday because it was getting too discouraging.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 18:21

BF:

Thanks for your reply vmoore. I am trying to stay away from the scale - I did lose an add'l 2 lbs today. I don't plan on weighing again until the weekend. I figured I'd stop while I am feeling good. I did try the fat fast yesterday and today - but I am not doing it tomorrow - too hard! I've increased my exercise which should also help. Just reading the post on this site are a great help too. It's nice to know there are so many people feeling the same things!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 07:11
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/239/234 Female 5' 5" and a half!
BF:
Progress: 76%

Are you eating late at night? I was. Now I cut it off at 7:00. 7:00 is still pretty late. But it helped me.

I also read the information on plateaus and stalls in the LOW CARB TIPS area at the top of the forum. It had some great ideas! I'm measuring things more and drinking more water. But I truly think it was the late night munching for me. I was having a hard time at night --- always wanting to cheat! Now that's easier too since my mind is made up that nothing else goes in after 7:00.

Good luck. Hang in there! You can break out of the stall. You REALLY can. Don't let it get you down...just stay in control and it will pay off!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 23:15

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Plateauing in the second or third week is very common and there are lots of contributing factors with the biggest three being:

1) Your body's need to reclaim some of the water it shed the first week (you can bet that 7 pounds wasn't all fat) and reestablish a new water balance.

2) Your body retaining water in the fat cells to hold there shape.

3) Your body building muscle - especially if you are coming off a history of very low cal dieting or are exercising quite a bit more.

The key words are patience and persistence. Focus on the way you feel and let the weight take care of itself in its own good time.

Take a look at the chart for my first 14 weeks and you can see that I typically plateaul for two to even three weeks at a time and that I am spending as much if not more time plateaued than I am activitly shedding pounds. In particular, look at my weight during the second week and the first part of the third. But it is just an illusion and I AM shedding fat during that whole time - it just isn't showing up on the scale. To be sure, the first couple of times this happens it is a big emotional hit, but with time and experience it won't bother you nearly as much.

I do NOT recommend doing a Fat Fast until you have been stalled for at least four weeks AND have gone through all of the other stall busting steps presented by Atkings. The Fat Fast is NOT to be taken lightly and even Dr. A warns that it can be dangerous.

wbahn's 14 week weight chart

Last edited by wbahn : Wed, May-01-02 at 23:20.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 09:59

BF:
Default Thanks for the feedback.

Monday will be 4 weeks for me. This site is such a great help - it makes you feel less isolated. I haven't been eating late at night - I usually go to bed by 10:00 so that helps! I've been exercising more and today weighed in with a total 10 lb loss. I feel great and my clothes are getting looser so I am focusing on those things and not the scale.

Thanks for your feedback. Wbahn I really liked your chart - I think I will do one for myself - It's good to have a reference like that when you feel like you're not making progress - hard to argue with the facts when you are looking at them!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 21:27

Plan: Atkins and other LC Variety Plans
Stats: 294/288.5/165
BF:
Progress: 4%

Sometimes a few days of eating only unprocessed meats and lowcarb veggies (no dressings, mayo, cheese, etc.) will get your loss going again. I have noticed that, if I go down to the basics and add things slowly, sort of an elimination diet, I will find out what is holding me back. I am very sensitive to mayo, cheese, and any artificial sweetener, all these things will send me into a "pause". They will be okay on maintenance but not on my weight loss journey. Hope you find what works for you.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 19:04

BF:
Default thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback Pencilpusher - I am trying not to get discouraged, now that I am finally trying to lose weight, (instead of hoping it would just go away), I am anxious to see results. But I'm happy for now w/11 lbs in a month! I've been exercising more and hoping that will speed things up - but I know it will probably take a year to get to my goal. The best part of Atkins is that I never feel hungry AND I am losing.

I'm so glad I found this forum!