Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 14:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/299.5/150
BF:
Progress: 15%
Question about those low carb bars

I know alot of those lowcarb bars have hidden carbs because of the Maltitol. ( i think) Has anyone heard of the "Ultimate Lo Carb Bar" by Biochem? It claims to only have 2 carbs for the whole bar. I don't see Maltitol in the ingrediants.

What do you think?

cimart
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 15:25
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

At the top of the page under Low Carb Tools is the Hidden Carb Calculator. Run the numbers through it and see what you come up with.

Also at the top of the page under low carb tips, is a great article on Sugar Alcohols. The bars probably contain another type of sugar alcohol.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 10:36

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I second Karen's post.

If you look at the Atkins Center bars, they explicitly state that they count the calories from a couple of the ingredients but exclude them from the carb count because those increadients have a negligible effect on insulin levels. But those will certainly show up on a Hidden Carb calculator.

So what to do?

1) You could accept on faith that if someone like Atkins is willing to say those carbs don't need to be counted then they don't need to be counted.

2) You could play it safe and count them all. The only downside here is that you then decrease the amount of truly good carbs from good vegetables that you consume unneccesarily.

3) You could compromise and count half the hidden carbs.

4) You could limit the bars so that if you count the carbs the wrong way the impact is minimal.

5) You could not eat the bars at all.

Any of the five is probably a reasonable approach with some being more reasonable for some people than others. Pick one and then if you appear to be stalling, switch to a more conservative approach. Likewise, if it appears to have no impact on your progress you can switch to a more liberal approach.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 05:29

Stats: 324/253/150
BF:
Progress: 41%

I don't understand the draw to the Low Carb bars anyway. They taste terrible. Give me Sugar Free Jello and whipped cream any day over a Low Carb Bar.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 21:43

Stats: 325/299.5/150
BF:
Progress: 15%

Thanks guys for your input. You know, I haven't had one since! And I agree with you Diz, most of them are really bad. Unfortunately, I found 2 that were pretty good. But, they are definately not good enough to stall or slow down for! I think I will stick to my sf jello too from now on.

cimart
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 15:01

Stats: 335/221/185
BF:
Progress: 76%
Talking

Yes, I agree that most of the locarb bars aren't worth the hype... and many people have trouble with stalls attributed to them. I have only found one brand worth the trouble... EAS's AdvantEdge bars, which our local Walmart sells for about $1.65. The cookies and creme one is pretty darned good... though like any of these things, I try to limit myself to only a few bars a week, mostly as quicky meal replacements then as snack foods.

Yes, sugar free jello and whipped cream is a winner!... hey, have any of you tried mixing in some sugar free instant pudding mix into your cream? Adds a really nice flavor variety... including chocolate, vanilla, pistachio and butterscotch. and 1T is about 6gms of carbs... not for the induction minded but not bad as you add a few more carbs to your plate.

I let mine get cold in the freezer for about 15 minutes and it almost comes out like ice cream...
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 20:37

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'll have to try that.

I have to admit that I'm not willing to splurge that many carbs yet. In fact, I have found that I have lost the desire to even make the low-carb versions of the sweets. I'm kinda happy about that, truth be known. Presently the S/F Jello with some Reddi Whip is about my pace - and even that has gone from two a day to usually one every two days. My sweet tooth is definitely decaying.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 19:09

Plan: CAD + reg. fast
Stats: 214/153.5/135 Female 5'6"
BF:34.5/18/14
Progress: 77%

Interesting to read what the general thoughts about the low-carb bars are. But here's my experience...Before I went on Atkins, I was a true chocolate junky!!! Nothing else needed - only chocolate!!! So when I started the induction, that was the hardest thing to overcome for me personally. And that's where these low-carb bars came in real handy!!! I completely agree that they do not taste anywhere near as good as real chocolate, but with a cup of hot coffee or tea( I know, I know...) it was them that got me through the first few days of 'chocolate withdrawal'! My mind actually fooled my body into believing that I had eaten chocolate! ( Oh, the power of suggestion!) I used Carb Solutions bars. Supposedly 2 gr of usable carbs per bar, flavor ok! I did lose continuously while eating one to two a day of those things. Now I don't 'need' them anymore. So there is a flip side to the coin....just a thought!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 19:28

Stats: 283/268/160
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default LC bars

I've tried different ones. Some are good and others are just plain nasty. I like the portability of them though. I keep one in my purse in case I get stuck somewhere and need something quick.

I don't see how anyone could eat more than one or two of them a day either.

And BTW Tiggerlou, I like mine with a big cup of water!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 20:35
Registered Member

Stats: 272/210/150
BF:
Progress: 51%

I don't like the low carb "bars", but I have found zero carb, zero sugar (made w/splenda) chocolate bars. And they are WONDERFUL. I don't need a lot of chocolate, but after a meal, I crave just a couple of bites. The makers are Carbolite.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 20:40

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Talking Ross's Belgian Chocolate

Ladies, Ladies, Ladies

You haven't lived until you have tried the Ross's Belgian Chocolate. They come in several flavors. I live the Orange, Milk and Almond.....They simply melt in your mouth. I have given a bite to some friends and they believe it's a regular chocolate bar!

Dee

#12   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 20:52

Plan: UltraGlycemix
Stats: 244/240/150
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default My Costco carries the Carbolite bars

I have to say, they have saved me... I don't eat much but those Carbolite bars... save me from the sugary chocolate bars!! and everything else... I carry one with me at all times, and just knowing it is there helps to keep me away from the suagry crunchy carbs...

Way cool....

-m-

Onward and Downwards!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 06:34

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default RE: LC Sweets

Having researched this mulifacted WOE now since Dec" 99, have realized there are many levels in which you can take this to...there are some who are adament purists where no sugar of any kind shape or form shall touch their lips...there are others who have the occasional treat and the definitive word is OCCASIONAL...these LC Products will definitely have adverse effects for some by way of stalling and of course we have all heard of what I term the "Galloping Hoorahs".... you as an individual have to decide what is best for you...when I started this WOE I could not get by without the occasional piece of sugar free chocolate and probably would not have sticked with the program without it...I have pretty much tried most of what is available out there and am attaching a link to a list and product review:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/reviews-candy.html

My advice is whatever floats your boat....

Bonnie
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 07:05

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Talking Yummy Candy

Thanks Bonnie...

Wow some of them look really good....

Dee

#15   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 07:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default RE: List of Sweets

Your welcome Dee ...just remember that if you do decide to indulge in any of these products that moderation is the key ... if you cannot limit yourself to one or two on occasion then don't have them on hand...wish you great success on your LC journey

Bonnie