Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 07:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default The Mind

Hi everyone.

This is an issue that has perplexed me for a while. For all of us that are a success at weight Loss, how much of "being in the right mental zone" have to do with the success?

There are times when we are just not up to taking control of our lives and there are other times when we are very willfull.

Anyone want to share in your thoughts on this?

LC_Dave
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 08:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Mind over matter...

You're absolutely right, having the right mindest is an essential component...

...and I'm sure it's why I'm enjoying myself so much with this WOE/WOL.

Just like when we try other forms of reduction (yes, even low cal, low fat!), it's essential to have a drive to succeed. Without that drive, we're destined to fail.

For me, the the inspiration to succeed was born of depression and the sudden onset of arthritic knees. In all honesty, it was if a switch had been thrown. One day I could walk, and the next I was in so much pain that I thought I had finally let myself go to the point that I would never walk normally again. Some older people I know even told me to just accept my condition and that I would be in pain for the rest of my life. I'M ONLY 42 YEARS OLD!

This also happened to me at Christmas 2001, so I had to see my entire family while I was in that state of disrepair. I could see the worry on their faces. I was filled with shame.

So over the course of a week I made the decision to start LCing and with each day my momentum grew. I have never looked back, and I can honestly say that in 4.5 months I have NEVER, EVER considered letting anything not part of the program pass my lips. I've eaten plenty of all the wrong things...that's how I got to 427lbs to begin with...so I don't need those things any more.

BTW, my knees no longer hurt and I stopped taking pain meds months ago. I can fit in seats, my seat belt works, I can bend over and tie my shoes or pick things up off the floor. I don't lose my breath from the slightest movements and I have all kinds of clothes to wear again.

My positive outlook has crossed over into many areas of my life.

It's all good.

So LC Dave, are you ready to give it a go??

Donald
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 09:25

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

i think the mind is (in one sense) the only player in the positive changes I want to make in my life.

But I don't think of "willpower" as a good thing for me any more. Let me give you an analogy. Let's say that you have a 'difficult' teenager. You can try to force your will upon her ("you MUST do this" "you CAN'T do that" "I will not ALLOW you..." etc.) and mostly fail, stir resentments, and encourage secretive bad behaviors. And eventually, you'll lose her in every way that matters--your will will damage the relationship.

Or...you can sit down with her and ask, "what's wrong? you know I love you, I hope. I do. What are your ideas for being happier?" And then you listen. She'll have terrific ideas...and when you acknowlege that, she'll listen to your terrific ideas, which you'll present gently ("what if we.." and "maybe X would word" and "What do you think about this idea...?")

We can treat ourselves as kindly as we would a troubled teen, can't we? What is it you want to do about your eating and weight? Nothing? that's fine! It's your choice. Other people's opinions don't matter. Your health and happiness do.

for me, the enlistment of my mind and spirit have been more a matter of letting go these past months than forcing change with a difficult act of will. Does that make sense?

here is part of a 12-step sort of approach to food addiction, if you're interested.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-23-02, 18:31
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/239/234 Female 5' 5" and a half!
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Giving credit where credit is due!

The mind is very powerful. All of my past "successful" diets - as well as this WOE - have only come by powerful commitment and resolve. Losing weight has to be one of the most powerful DESIRES in my mind for me to be successful. (almost to the point of obsession)

But I wouldn't be honest if I didn't give credit where credit is due. It is only after powerful PRAYER that I've EVER been able to stick to a diet. I just don't have the willpower by myself. Thank goodness I've tapped into the source that bestows that power upon me. Food is like alcohol for me, and I am a FOOD-A-HOLIC! It is perhaps my greatest weakness!

Hopefully I'm not sounding "preachy." It's just the plain ole truth, without Gods power...I'd still weigh 255 pounds ... OR MORE! I couldn't do it without him!

Last edited by In_Control : Thu, May-23-02 at 18:36.