Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 21:32

Plan: CAD
Stats: 249.5/217/184
BF:45.2/36.8/25
Progress: 50%
Unhappy Oy! Had a HUGE cheat

First of all I want to say how much this perticular board has inspired me in the last week or so (since I actually came in here). I hope to get to know all of you better as time goes by!

Anyway, yesterday I decided that I was going to cheat, and cheat I did...we're talking I don't think I had anything I was actually allowed all day! Right from a bagel for breakfast to ice cream at night, it was just a bad day! I think I violated every single rule CAD has! But Now I know why people advise not cheating...My tummy hurt so much last night, and even today I feel all gross and yucky!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 23:32

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:

Glad to hear that you feel awful!

Whatever you do, don't beat yourself up. What's done is done and cannot be undone. So just move on and do better in the future.

If you find that this happens from time to time, you might try a program other than CAD. I think for many people - particularly true carb adicts - the CAD plan leaves you susceptible to cravings and binges. So if it happens again try Atkins or Protein Power for a month and see if you still have the same problems.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 17:57

Plan: atkins-ish
Stats: 398/391/299 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default I 2nd that!

'Tis true about the CAD! I started out on it but I had to switch to Atkin's. The problem is this...by eating carbs during your reward meal your body never gets the drugs (carbs and sugars) out of your system...therefore you never stop craving those things and are more likely to cheat. I know this may sound hard to believe but the less carbs you have the less you CRAVE carbs. Now I'm definitely NOT perfect on Atkin's BUT when I was REALLY strict with myself I was AMAZED at how I could pass up sweets and breads w/out even really freaking out!

BUT!!!! If you decide to stay w/ CAD great! We have to do what works for us. Like was said earlier DON'T BEAT YOURSELF UP!!! That's the MOST important thing!! You said yourself that you "decided to cheat", well ok. You are an adult and that was your decision and that's that. Everytime I eat off plan I ask myself "is this <piece of cake, candy bar, slice of bread> worth the fact that it's going to slow down my progress? Am I willing to accept the fact that when I weigh in on Monday, I may not have lost any weight or worse yet, I may have GAINED weight?" Sometimes the answer is yes and sometimes it's no.

It's a constant struggle though!! I struggle darn near EVERY DAY!
You're not alone!

Good luck!!! =)

Peace,
Star
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 18:48

Plan: CAD
Stats: 249.5/217/184
BF:45.2/36.8/25

That was my first BIG cheat, I mean occasionally I'll nibble on something I shouldn't, but that day I had a big cheat and it was my first one, and it taught me a very important lesson...IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!! I felt physically awful after, my stomach hurt and it threw my digestion way off(without details, lets just say it wasn't pretty)

I think the reason I like CAD is because mentally if I was to ban myself from eating certain things, I would cheat, whereas in my mind I crave carb things less because I know that if I want it I can have it as part of my reward meal...I have a feeling I'd binge if I was on Atkins...

My sister just decided to start CAD today, so hopefully it will work for her! She's 17 and really doesn't feel good about her self, so hopefully this will help with her self esteem!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 04:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins to CALP
Stats: 223/206/155
BF:
Progress: 25%

Ivory,

I too am on CALP and feel like you - it is nice to know that if I should want some carbs at my RM, I can do it.

While I had a rough few days switching from Atkins, once I got honest with myself, it has been easy.

I find if I follow the rules at my RM, I don't have cravings during the day.

Matter of fact, this past week I've lost 3 pounds on CALP.

Don't give up - our behaviours have been life-long and this is just a 'learning curve' when we have a bad day.

Prsloan
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 23:51
Registered Member

Plan: 50/30/20/40-40-20
Stats: 180/192/205
BF:
Progress: 48%

if you find yourself cheating pretty often may you should trya CKD diet where you get to carb up over the weekend if you lifting weight i would def. go to a CKD