Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 12:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 220/154/140 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Chocolate Lava Cake

I was reading recipes for lava cakes but they all called for unsweetened chocolate and some form of nut flour. I didn't have either so I improvised.

2-3 tbsp cocoa powder (adjust to your own chocolate-y preferences)
2 tbsp Splenda (this can be changed to any sweetener you prefer and you can add/reduce the amount depending on your personal tastes)
1 egg
2 tbsp sour cream
splash of whipping cream

Add cocoa powder and sweetener in a bowl and stir with fork to combine. Add egg, sour cream and whipping cream, mix well.

Spray a regular coffee mug with non-stick spray. Pour batter into mug. Microwave for about 45 seconds. I like to check after 30 seconds to see how cooked it is and then peek every 5-10 seconds after that.

Basically you want the outside edges cooked and the middle still gooey. It doesn't take too long, depending of course on your own microwave. Don't overcook it because then it is dry and icky.

Eat it right out of the mug.

This is seriously wonderful!

As for carb count: I use Fry's cocoa powder which states 2 carbs per tbsp and 2 grams of fiber...so honestly I do not know how to calculate the carb total for the dish. I am not sure if there are hidden carbs in the powder or not? Anyone out there know? This is a lovely treat but I have been cautious about having it too often because of my confusion over the cocoa powder carb count. Of course if you use liquid Splenda you'd reduce the carb total even more.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 23:31

Plan: Low Carb Intuitive Eating
Stats: 289.0/261.2/199 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Some foods are definitely confusing on the carb counts. I've even seen some where the fiber count is larger than the carbs listed ??????

Someone then mentioned that maybe they are listing the adjusted carbs IN the Carbs spot.

How's a person to know???
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-13, 12:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 220/154/140 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 83%

These days I've been using different Da Vinci sugar free flavours to sweeten it, and I've added a tablespoon of coconut oil. It is lower in carbs and even more delicious
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-13, 12:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I make a variation on my bowl muffin that is similar to this. I use cocoa, egg, SF syrup, a little additional sweetener (not Splenda, which doesn't taste all that great with chocolate).

The secret is to not over or undercook it.